Posts by timowens

Couple of thoughts, I'm not sure if these are related to your problem but I thought that I would share them just in case.

1) One time when I was using a MIDI controller (before I got the Kemper Remote) and I accidentally misaligned the MIDI cable when plugging it into the controller and IIRC it acted like you described. What happened was the MIDI controller had a 7 pin socket because it supported phantom power, I was using a 5 pin cable and somehow had it misaligned when I plugged it in. MIDI connectors do have a key so you shouldn't be able to do that but somehow I did :)

2) I discovered by accident that if you turn the master volume knob on the KPA while it is booting it won't boot correctly. This makes me wonder if your controller was sending commands to the KPA while it was booting causing it to lock up, I'm not sure if MIDI commands would affect the KPA like turning a knob on the front of the KPA but it might be worth investigating. BTW, I did report this and Kemper support was able to duplicate the issue so I'm sure that they will address it in a future update.

For what it's worth, here is a test that I did when Kemper released the firmware that gave us Merged profiles. There is no point in trying to guess which is which because I posted this back when I did it and I gave the answer. But here is what you will hear, not in the correct order though in case you do want to try and guess without looking up my original thread. I'm curious if you guys think that the original firmware is better or worse than the current firmware when it comes to Direct Amp and Merged profiles. Do you hear the same issues in this test?

Looper-->KPA (merged profile with cab disabled) -->QSC Power-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (full profile) -->DAW
    Looper-->Amp-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->KPA (DI Profile) -->QSC Power-->Cab-->Mic’s-->Mixer-->DAW
    Looper-->(new merged profile) -->DAW

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf1l…20KPA%20Firmware.wav?dl=0

Here are some sound clips of a recent jam session when I used the HAWP-53 BE100 profiles. I was using the Merged profiles running into two Avatar Vintage 112 cabs loaded with Scumback M75 speakers powered by a Matrix GM50 plate amp. All I can tell you is this is pretty much exactly like how the real BE100 sounds in this situation. The recording was made with two mic's in the room so it's kind of rough but you'll get the idea of what it sounds like.

This was just a jam session so please forgive the clams :)

Note: I wasn't trying to cop the original tones of the songs, I simply used the tones that I like, in other words, it's my tone.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-owe…be100-profile-jam-session

For the last few months I have been using an AX8 because a floorboard unit works a lot better for me. The AX8 is really good but I still prefer the KPA tone. I would buy a floorboard KPA in a heartbeat.

Hi timowens! Thank you very much for sharing all those profiles. I'm extremely grateful to you.I was looking for good sounding profiles for playing classic rock and found your profiles of DS, BE and HBE at RM. They are absolutely fantastic!!! Really impressive!!!They become my main presets for LP and Classic Rock. As you mention, the profiles you upload at RM are based on session #53 and are merged profiles.Question: Is there any chance you could share the STUDIO profiles for DS, BE and HBE of that session? Just in case you still have them before doing the merging process.Thanks in advance!all the best,George

Hey George,

Tritium (John) is correct that the Merged profiles should sound exactly like the Studio profiles. But, in case I made a mistake while making one or two of the Merged profiles (which has happened before) or if you wanted to make your own merged profiles here is a link to all of the files from this session including a speaker IR in WAV format that will work with other devices: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fj1…JeWAvfWdCVwziRfT6dYa?dl=0

Here is what the file names mean:
    H53 DS H01D (Means Direct Amp Profile)
    H53 DS H01S (Means Studio Profile)
    H53 DS H01M (Means Merged Profile)

Hope that helps...

Hey Tim, are the Rigs you uploaded to the Exchange on the 10th unique or are they gleaned from sessions you've already shared?

Thanks mate. Take your time.

Hey Monkey_Man, those were actually based off of the H53 profiles, all I did was clean up the rig tags so hopefully they make sense. I've been having good luck with those merged profiles while playing live with a real guitar cab and I figured it was time to post something on the rig exchange. I guess I should have posted a note here, thanks for catching that.

It would be interesting if someone would purchase one of these and make some A/B test profiles.

...Profiling does not capture room ambience, though...

This is a very important point. You guys should test this for yourself. I did a test where I made a profile, made a speaker IR and recorded the amp directly, once in my studio and once in a very small bathroom. The recording of the amp in the bathroom obviously had tons of natural (or un-natural) reverb compared to the studio recording, but the profile and speaker IR made in the bathroom sounded pretty much exactly like the ones made in the studio. Profiling amps and capturing speaker IR's doesn't really pick up any room acoustics. Of course if you place your speaker cab 2 inches from a wall it will probably affect the profile but under normal circumstances I could not detect any difference between a large acoustically treated room and a small bathroom, so it's hard to imagine that a device like this would be of any use when making profiles.

Thank you! Phase 54 sounds very good. It was a good idea to reduce the gain because I had to back down the gain even from where it is now. Any chance of getting something similar to the phase 54, but with the V30? I would be most interested in merged profiles.

HAWP-55 profiles are up.

I duplicated the HAWP-54 profiles except that I mic'd the V30 speaker, everything else was the same as best as I could duplicate it. I noticed that the gain is not as high in this session, I can only figure that the M75 speaker was breaking up and causing more distortion than the V30.

I'm curious what you guys think, do you prefer the M75 profiles or the V30 profiles? How would you describe the difference between the two?

Just like the last session, I made both Studio and Direct Amp profiles, then I made Merged profiles. I have included all of the profiles in case you want to mess with them, otherwise just use the Merged profiles.

Here is a link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yni…jm43nRTfR73NK9kywhSa?dl=0

EDIT: I hesitated to profile the amp at this volume level again, I was worried about my speakers and mic's, I tried to lower the master volume to 4 but it really affected the tone so I went ahead and profiled the amp with the master volume at 7 again, dang that is really loud, the amp was vibrating off the speaker cab again :)

Must agree that this speaker/mic combination is THE one, Enough natural fatness to its, but still cutting through.
    53 DS set seems to pair with single coils really well, BE is not that punchy, but need to try HB equipped guitar next with latest BE profiles.
    Maybe redo some of those Small Box profiles also with this combination still with some of those mid heavier settings?

There's just something about the Scumback M75 that I like. But to be honest, I was surprised with a lot of the profiles that we did with the V30, that's why I loaded one in this 212 along side the M75 so I could easily mic whichever speaker I wanted, and the combination of the two speakers actually sounds pretty good in the room.

And yes, the DS sounds fantastic with a Strat, humbuckers sound great too but to me the magic happens when you play single coils through it.

Sorry but I sold the SB50, I do miss channel 1 on that amp but channel 2 was pretty much exactly like the BE channel in the BE100.

Thank you! Phase 54 sounds very good. It was a good idea to reduce the gain because I had to back down the gain even from where it is now. Any chance of getting something similar to the phase 54, but with the V30? I would be most interested in merged profiles.

I'd be happy to try that but I have a lot of stuff going on at the moment, as soon as things slow down I'll give it a shot :D

Hi.

two questions about Mastodon's Bill Kelliher rig (source: http://www.premierguitar.com/a…g-rundown-mastodon-2014):

- is the lower amp a HBE, it seems to be missing switches?
    ("His second amp is a 100-watt Friedman HBE that slams 30-watt Celestions in an Orange 4x12.")
    - have these settings already been profiled?
    [Blocked Image: http://www.premierguitar.com/ext/resources/images/content/2014_11/Rig-Rundowns/Mastodon/Kelliher-Amps-WEB.jpg]

HAWP-54 profiles are up.

From my brief research this is a version-1 amp, mine is a version-2 amp. There were more little changes made to the amp throughout the years but the amps are all supposed to sound the same, The changes added features and reduced noise. From the photo it looks like he is plugged into the HBE channel, the other input would be the BE channel. The switch on the front should be the voice switch, the FAT, SAT and C45 switches should be on the back of the amp if the amp has those switches. Since we can't see the back of the amp I profiled the amp with the FAT, SAT and C45 off, and then with the C45 on, and then with the SAT on, and then with both the C45 and SAT on. I'm assuming that he didn't use the FAT switch.

I don't think we have tried these settings yet, certainly not with the master volume so high, so I thought it would be worth a try to profile the amp with these settings.

First, it was incredibly loud, it was so loud that I could hear the speakers breaking up and the amp was sliding off of the cab, see the photos in DropBox.

The first profiles went find but as soon as I turned the C45 switch on the profiler said that the amp was too noisy so I had to turn the gain down a little.

This was an interesting profiling session, even with earplugs my ears got burnt out after only an hour of profiling :)

The profiles can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vx3…xrkmY5sf-xqg7ckmiwHa?dl=0