Posts by Armin

Not anymore, Mats, it has changed with the last FW update. Now L/R move the previous/next column and up/down to the previous/next rig, in browser mode.

Yes, and that is BS - they fixed what was not broken - the new navigation takes a long time to move around :(

Yes, to use an EQ block in the stomp box section can help - but it's very inconvenient.

First does a tonestack react very different from a normal EQ
    The great bass, mid, treble, presence knobs can not be used to change the EQ block
    Then we can not simply lock the stack and try different amps/amp settings (I profile my amp at a lot of different settings since I found that simply increasing the KPA gain does not work in most cases).
    Yes, we could lock the Stack AND the 'D' stomp (in case the EQ is there) - but in this case we have to place the EQ always there and lose one (of the few) slots.

IMHO would be the best solution a pre/post option for the stack EQ block - with selectable tone stack models.

[quote='kojak',index.php?page=Thread&postID=22734#post22734]
    I'm also not satisfied with the lack of tone stack either as it makes it very difficult to use someone elses profile as of course they would have set the tone stack on their amp to complement their guitar and their pickups etc.

Yes, I found the same - that's why most of my profiles use the tone knobs at 12:00 - if there is e.g. to much bass/mids - then the profile will be of lower level compared to the same profile without increased bass (very unlike a real amp).

For many amps (tone stack after the distortion tubes) the KPA works ok - I would prefer switchable tone-stacks (like in the AxeFx) as well.
    But very bad is the situation for Fender (and Fender like) amps - where the tone stack is BEFORE the distortion tubes - for them does the KPA tone stack not work at all.

I hope it stays exactly the same as it is right now in future firmware upgrades.

Yes, I hope the same - I hated all the AxeFx improvements this much.
    I loved the additional stuff but hated that all my patches did not work anymore.

As for the KPA tones - I found that I got all great clean, crunch and high gain sounds out of it.
    But profiling is not this easy - it needs EXACTLY the same knowledge as to capture the great tube amp sound and get it recorded.

Recording a great tube amp by simply placing a SM58 in front of the amp may work in some cases - in most not.

So I always recommend to try to make a great sounding recording - if the recording sounds great - then use THIS setting as basis for the profiling.

If the recording sucks - try different microphones, mic placement, preamps ... until you love your recording - than profile again.

If I liked my setup - then the KPA results were spot on.

I profiled both close miked and mid field = microphone about 1 meter distance from the speaker.

The later sounded more 'in the room' for me - I did not try to use larger distance - say 3 meters.

I found that the KPA is very sensitive to the level - the mic will deliver less level when miking at one meter distance - and that leads to strange sound here too.

My first try was to rise the 'return level' but that leads to all kinds of unwanted side effects in the past - and in some cases still today.
    I got my workaround by using an external mic-preamp and increase the level so that 'return level' can stay at 0 - that works fine - at least of one meter distance.

As mentioned in another thread the KPA seams to try to normalize the level of the profiles.

At least in older firmware versions did it not work proper - in some cases it may be related to the 'return level' bug.

To compensate all this I used to change the Volume setting (Cabinet block) in some of my rigs.

I found that some of my profiles distort with the recent firmware.

For users of my profiles I have a workaround - it may be the same for profiles from other users as well - that's why I think it fits into this section.

Most distorting rigs us the 'Stereo Widener' - check 'Intensity' high levels seam to increase the overall volume!
    There are two ways to fix it:
    a) Reduce the 'Intensity'
    b) Reduce the Volume setting in the CAB block

For distorting profiles without the 'Stereo Widener'
    Reduce the Volume setting in the CAB block

Great, and when checking the NG please have a look at the max level.

The NG seams not to work for profiles with high amp gain and distortion boxes at the same time.

Profiling later?

The KPA must compare the profile with the real amp - in case something has changed in the real amp chain (amp, speaker, mic, placement, ..) then it could try to 'refine' with the new setting - but this would sound very different.

Sound a little bit like what the AxeFx may do - would be nice to have this feature for 'offline profileing' in the KPA - use any recording of a guitar track to profile. By this could we use a real profile of an amp (e.g. a Recto) and then 'refine' with a nice recording of another Recto.

That's great - and if the noise gate would be fixed (it also seams to kill some attack) - then the feel/latency of the KPA would be perfect.

It's just the statement - the profile is useless to prove what I claim without the amp.

My first test was to profile my AxeFx II - it worked ok - but some of the profiles were not perfect (not bad sounding - some even sounded better than the AxeFX - but they are not spot on).

Profiling amps worked fine but it's not this easy to check how 'perfect' they are - when profiling in the same room (no. I did not record my profiling session).

The Koch has the advantage of an inbuilt load box - by this could I A/B the profile and reference amp - and they are spot on.

Profiling of tube amps works great!