Posts by Armin

Now after having more and more profiles in the KPA it takes some time to turn from the first amp (A...) to the Last (Z..) step by step.

I would be great in case I turn the knob faster that it jumps from A -> B -> C -> D ... and only in case I turn slow from one profile to another.

I used to put my Mic directly into the KPA - and then have to boost the Returnlevel.
    20-30% of my profiles were bad/loud ones.

Today I put my Mic-Preamp before the KPA - set the Returnlevel to 0 - and profiled about 20 times without any problems.

I found that the Cabinet Block Level will not the stored in a new profile - most of my profiles were adjusted by increasing the Cabinet Block Level a little bit.

Maybe this two point together lead to the problem - I send a bug report to support and they try to reproduce it...

On the other hand two points from Cliffs list are true:

-Profiles work only for ONE amp gain setting (for some amps)
    -The AxeFx has much more tweaking features

What we need in the KPA is this:

-Option to combine profiles into a 'master profile' (e.g. profile an amp at volume setting 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10) and then create ONE profile from this

-Tonestack before the amp block - and additional tonestacks beside the generic one

but I think both points are on the Kemper list already ;)

Yes, and now I understand the (according to ckemper wrong) statement that the KPA uses only 256 point IR's.

The AxeFx II has only space for 50 cab slots (each 2048 points).

To add the profiling feature they must share this IR space with the 'profiles' - and 400 slots sounds much better.

Maybe we have another announcement that 256 or 512 points are enough for guitar profiling soon :D

So the AxeFx II will be a 'Kemper' soon?
    FA announcement:
    "FWIW, our own profiling will be available soon for the Axe-Fx II."

Some thought:

I wonder if the KPA guys not only forget to do professional beta testing but also forget to patent the profiling :sleeping:

I could write a lot about marketing and that a 'crapy technology' changed into something that's now the main point of the features wish list - but don't like it here.

The funny point is - by the AxeFx announcement the FA people say:
    1) Sorry, we have found out that the KPA works fine
    2) We are trying to do all we can to implement something similar as soon as possible into the AxeFx - before you all are leaving the ship

Yes, the KPA works VERY FINE - the pure amp/cab sounds are night and day compared to the AxeFx II.
    One the other side the effects are this much more versatile in the AxeFx II.

So will the AxeFx II ever be a KPA?

I think no - here are my points:

01 ) The AxeFx II has no mic input - so a preamp is needed each time a profiling session will be done.
    02 ) The KPA is much better to be carried around to profile something compared to a racksystem and a mic preamp
    03 ) The AxeFx has 50 slots for User IR's - the KPA has 1000 slots for profiles - I wonder how many profiles will fit into the AxeFx
    04 ) I love the KPA UI much more than the AxeFx. Real knobs, LED-rings to show the stored values ...
    05 ) The LCD in the KPA is much larger and SO MUCH better visible (from any angle)
    06 ) There is no noisy fan in the KPA (no fan at all) - even the 'silent fan' in my AxeFx is a pain compared to the absolute silence from the KPA
    07 ) The separately switchable ground lifts (in the KPA) are a must to get hum free connection to tube amps and other stuff
    08 ) The KPA is this much easier to tweak and the "missing" deep tweaking options are VERY GOOD - since we play the thing much more instead of tweaking
    09 ) The profiling in the AxeFx is more a 'me too' option while the KPA is totally build for that
    10 ) The KPA profiling sounds great NOW - lets see how the AxeFx II profiling works in the future

So the next big thing will be an AxeFx II Ultra / AxeFx III or an additional 2 rack spaces block with all the needed knobs and connections ...

Anyway competition is a good thing - and the KPA people have to work fast to fix the bugs and implement the main missing features ....

Wow - and now after switching back and for to this bad rig I got something new - the KPA shows 'DSP-Error' next to the 'Store Snapshot' tab.
    No sound anymore ...
    Rebooted and deleted the rig - now it works again - strange :cursing:

This and the problem that the (profiled) amp still gets signal when I switch the KPA to 'Kemper' - are two most hated things while profiling.

As you may have found - the profiles sound very close to the JVM 'in the room' - I tried to setup the mic's (and other gear) so that the sound of my JVM is as close as possible reproduced from the KPA via my Adam speakers (btw. both systems use 2x12" speakers).

[Blocked Image: http://www.soundside.de/about/images/StudioGuitarGear.jpg]

In case you do some recordings you may want to reduce the bass a little bit with the KPA EQ.

My main goal was to be able to enjoy the KPA as an 'amp in my room' (not as a miked amp sound).

It's was fun to let my buddy guess which is which when he was in my room :D

Try the JVM C31 (this is the 3. channel / 1. Mode = Overdrive1 in green mode) - it should be the sound you are after.

Yes, but I hate to use external editors - the KPA is very easy to use directly.

So an editor would be nice for naming etc. but for daily use would it be much better to add additional searching options in the browse menu - according to the tags:
    e.g.
    order by amp name
    order by mic name
    order by speaker type (1x12, 2x12, 4x12 ...)
    order by speaker name

simply by ALL available tag fields - not only date, name, user as it is now.

Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?
    The real comparison of IR sizes can only be done by listening to two IR's that are supposed to create the same frequency responce, but have different sizes.

Experience anyone?

With the old AxeFx we could switch between 512 and 1024 tabs - with the AxeFx II between 1024 and 2048.

512/1024 makes a difference - 1024/2048 not so much.

In case your KPA freezes during the startup (typically at about 80% of the progressbar) then most likely do you have corrupted profiles/rigs in your KPA.

There are many reasons to get them (some were harmful in older firmware version other still are):
    -Storing rigs with more than one space after another in the name
    -Editing profiles with an external editor (Notepad, Hexeditor, ...) and then sharing these profiles
    -Editing the name of the files in the rig folder and then importing them again
    -Restoring the factory rigs
    -Changeing some cabinet parameters and then storing the rig

I got the same problems some time ago - and since I erased ALL other profiles but the stock ones and my own ones - all is rock stable here.
    Yes, I would love to try out profiles from other users as well - but will NOT do so until all this is fixed - which seams not to be the case by now.

To erase all the profiles do the flash format/init as explained on my homepage:
    http://www.soundside.de/support/KPARecovery.htm

Then install the latest firmware (I send you a PM) - and then reinstall the stock profiles only.

Yes, you are right - but the Kemper people mentioned in another thread that the KPA does NOT use any IR's at all - not in the amp block and not in the cab block.

So there is no need to increase anything.

(Check the 'KPA = Old tech?' thread for more about this)

That's the problem with most "sound demo's".
    A very good player and a POD may sound better than an average player with a KPA - especially if he knows how to record/arrange and uses a great sounding backing track - in addition does it sound better in case it's louder (so a lot of compression may be added too). And in live demos they play as loud as they can ...
    This facts are well known by all manufactures ;)

I prefer sound samples of some basic riffs / notes without any backing tracks.

As with any good tube amp - it will sound different in case you switch guitars or even pickups.
    But I found that great tube amps sound good with all my guitars - only different.
    While bad (heavy tweaked) patches (in modelers) sound ok for one guitar and in some cases only for one pickup position.

The KPA acts more like a real amp - most of my profiles work fine for my vintage Strat, my LesPauls, Teles and even JEM.

But of course a high gain amp may sound funny with the Strat - while a great Fender profile my sound strange with an humbucker guitar with active EMG's.