Posts by Armin

After creating more than 100 profiles - I found I need to update my naming a bit - maybe my thoughts help others as well ...

We have a lot of search options (Name, Date, Author) - but for everyday use do I sort by name.

All my profiles are now named like this:

'AH Amp Channel Settings Options/Mic'

To easily find my own profiles all at one place do I start the name of each profile with 'AH ' (my initials).
    For the Channel I use 'C1, C2, C3' I don't use 'Clean' 'Crunch' anymore - it uses to much space.
    For the Marshall JVM I used 'C11, C12, C13, C21, ...) = C&Channel&Submode (here green,yellow,red) - at first I used just green, yellow and red - but red is before yellow when sorting by name ...

For the settings I use the 24h naming (9:00, 10:00, 11:00,12:00, 13:00, ...) in case I need this fine steps - or just (9,10,11,12) for bigger steps.

And options are all other stuff (switches...)

e.g.

AH LSS C1 12:00 R121 = My own profile - of a LoneStarSpecial - Channel1 - Gain at noon - captured by a R121
    AH LSS C2 G15 DOff T = My own profile - of a LoneStarSpecial - Channel2 - Gain at 15:00 - DriveMode Off - Thick Switch on

AH JVM C22 11:00 = My own profile - of a Marshall JVM - Channel2 yellow mode - Gain 11:00

Yes, It looks a little bit complicated at first glance - but works fine - and I have all my stuff at one place and in the right order - when I switch the Profiles from Gain=9 to 10,11,12, 13... I feel like changing the gain setting on the real Amp.

Yes, if we ever get the feature to combine profiles then I would need instead of 9 Profiles:
    AH LSS C1 09:00 R121
    AH LSS C1 10:00 R121
    AH LSS C1 11:00 R121
    AH LSS C1 17:00 R121

Only one profile
    AH LSS C1 R121

That would be great :thumbup:

Well, I could think of an import funktion to render a cabinet IR into a profile.
    This is theroretically possible. The size of the IR would not matter.

But don't ask me for a date. We have other priorities and plans.

Christoph Kemper

That's great - there are so many great IR libraries available ...

I can fully understand your point - one the other hand I am glad to use this exiting new technology by now - and not waiting some more month.
    The great thing with software - almost all can be fixed - so I am sure the KPA will be stable soon.

I ordered mine April 2011 and got it end of 2011 - and was quite sure I would try it, not like it and return it - and keep my AxeFx II.

Now I keep the KPA - it's the first box able to capture and provide the sound I love from my tube amps.

But, yes, I was shocked and VERY angry after I found that my KPA - out of the blue - stopped working and did not reboot anymore (see the 'KPA is toast' thread) - but now I am quite happy.

All this could have been avoided by proper beta testing half a year ago :rolleyes:

Yes, 7034 - no crashes - still all the bugs but that's anather story.

I could create an Editor but think it's a waste of time - hope for a Kemper-Editor.

Great it worked for you too.

Which firmware version do you use?
    I have no crashes anymore - but I use only the stock and my own profiles.

Yes, it's a good idea to delete all the stuff you don't need.
    After your gig can you load all the available profiles - check which ones you like - and delete the others again.

2 QSC K12. 1 K12 sounds good but with 2 K12's you get the pressure of a 4 x 12 cabinet. I just came back from rehearsel and for the first time using two K12's in the rehearsel room. Volume K12's halfway and Kemper mastervolume 3 db under max. For me it feels and plays like a real tube amp + cabinet but with stereo effects! Very convincing en beautiful to hear the effects in stereo. Saturday my first gig with the Kemper and I take my 2 K12's with me.

2 x QSC K12 must sound great :thumbup:

I would like to know if there will ever be a power amp for the KPA - then all I would need is a small passive monitor - if not than the QSC will be great I think.

Nice one armin. How are you getting along with profiling the JVM?

Finished just now.

Some more information about the JVM (for the ones interested):

The JVM has 4 channels (Clean, Crunch, Overdrive1, Overdrive2) with 3 modes (green, yellow, red).

Channel 1 (Clean) has NOT the typical Marshall sound - since the tone stack is before the distortion stages = a totally new sound from a Marshall amp.
    Mode 1 (green) is a totally clean sound
    Mode 2 (yellow) crunchy sound (still tone stack before gain stage)
    Mode 3 (red) distorted sound (still tone stack before gain stage)

Channel 2 is the classic Marshall sound - and the tone stack behind the distortion stages (like in the KPA EQ)
    Channel 2 (Crunch):
    Mode 1 (green) is very close to the famous classic Marshall JTM45/1959 Plexi sound.
    Mode 2 (yellow) is the classic Marshall JCM800 2203 sound.
    Mode 3 (red) is the sound of a hot-rodded JCM800

Channel 3&4 are Marshall-High-Gain-Sounds
    Channel 3 (Overdrive 1):
    Mode 1 (green) another hot-rodded JCM800 sound
    Mode 2 (yellow) This adds another gain stage
    Mode 3 (red) Even more gain

Channel 4 (Overdirve 2):
    Similar to Ch3 but with even more gain

The red modes in Ch3 and Ch4 have an insane amount of gain - you're surely will not want more :D

Noise gate works fine here - the only thing here: There is a lot of noise on high gain rigs in case NO guitar cable is connected to the KPA.

The TG2 and your mic's should do a great job.

I like my profiles best in case I profile quite loud (gig level) - and you'll need some time to find the best mic position.
    The best position depends a lot on the profiled amp and your taste.

For my Deluxe did the SM57 (with a little condenser mic to increase the bass) work best - the Marshall and Lonestar likes the Royer - other amps need two mics at 50/50.

I usually spend a few days finding the best position / combination - checking the results on different speakers.
    At first must it sound great on my main speakers (Adam S4X-V).
    I use this large speakers because they have a 12" woofer - and that gives me the 'typical guitar speaker sound and air move'.

When I like it then I check it on my studio monitors (Genelec 1032A) and finally on small PC speakers (B&W MM1).

I spend a few days - since sometime does my ears (or whatever) play tricks on me - I like the sound more and more - and the next day I hate it - so it must sound great a few days in succession.

If I have my mic setting I start to profile the amp at various settings, gain levels, all channels, switches ...

While profiling my tube amp collection I found all this:

1 ) The KPA captures the sound of my tube amps VERY good
    2 ) Microphone selection, number of mic's, mic placement is very critical for a great result
    3 ) A recording of the above sounds about the same as when I play the profile
    4 ) It's possible to come very close to the sound of the "Amp in my room" with the right mic selection & placemant
    5 ) Amp's with the tone stack after the gain stages sound still great even when I use the KPA EQ (bass, middle, treble, presence)
    6 ) Amp's with the tone stack before the gain stages (e.g. Fender) needed more profiles (or an EQ block before the KPA stack)
    7 ) For some amps (Marshall) will one profile (at 12:00) per channel and switch (mode, tube-selection, rectifier, ...) work fine
    8 ) Other amps need profiles at various gain levels (Deluxe, Lonestar Special, ...)
    9 ) Rolling down the guitar volume works great with the KPA profiles

All this is a lot of fun and leads to very great sounding results.