Posts by Armin

Wowa thats loud - the Deluxe has no master volume.
    I am looking NOT forward to profile a 100Watt none master-volume Marshall ;)

In case you like to profile an amp as the Deluxe here is my tipp 'make a lot of profiles'.

The Deluxe is quite below Volume level 2 (no sound at all).
    Then the volume increases until about 4 after that only the compression and distortion increased (ok, the level maybe a little bit).

If you compare a profile made at volume level 2 (and then added gain with the KPA's gain knob) to a profile made at volume 3 - you'll find that it sound TOTALLY different.

The deluxe changes not only the level or gain but the complete amp sounds different at different volume settings.

That's why I created some profiles at all this volume levels:
    Volume 2
    Volume 2.1
    Volume 2.2
    Volume 2.3
    Volume 2.5
    Volume 3
    Volume 4
    Volume 6
    Volume 8
    Volume 10
    Volume 11
    Volume 12

Yes it's strange but at the end - yes this amp goes to 12! - do we get a big change so that an additional Volume 11 profile makes sense.

Here is how it should have been implemented:

1) First thing during the startup before loading the profiles -> check (a variable stored in flash) LastStartUpSuccessful==true
    If yes -> continue
    if not -> ask the user (continue, delete current rig, delete all rigs)
    2) Second thing during the startup before loading the profiles -> set LastStartUpSuccessful=false
    3) Load all the profiles
    4) After all profiles are loaded -> set LastStartUpSuccessful=true

You could do similar things to detect a crash during the normal run and then ask the user the same or to reinstall a new firmware.

Yes, I've used all available modelers - and I could tell which one is the best modeler...

But for me is the Kemper not a modeler - it's an amp - it sounds killer - much better than all the other stuff.

I'm sure they fix the bugs soon.

Yes, I figured it out myself - it was not very complicated - wasted just 4 hours of my live ;)

This KPA would need professional beta testing - but they seam not to want it.

I wrote to support yesterday but no answer (beside an automatic one) until now.

Yes, but it's not this easy - you could kill the KPA in case you don't know what you do - but in my case - it was unusable already ;)

I played with a lot of different key combinations - there is a 'Maintenance Mode' hidden in the KPA - but it seams not to work with the latest beta anymore ...

But I found a way to load an old firmware version - with the Maintenance mode included.

Update:
    I created a small website with some of my findings:
    http://www.soundside.de/support/KPARecovery.htm

Here is what helped with the old firmware:
    01.) Switch off the KPA
    02.) Put old Firmware (6911) in root (!) directory of USB stick
    03.) Hold (both) < Page > and turn KPA on to tuner
    04.) Booting and burning from USB device - KPA starts several times - wait
    05.) The same error message appears since there is junk in the profiles/rig storage
    06.) Switch KPA off
    07.) Hold the left/top soft-key above the LCD - turn KPA on to tuner
    08.) Maintenance Module will be started
    09.) In the 'Test' menu a lot can be tested (buttons, knobs, led, memory, ...)
    10.) In the 'Maintenance' menu there is 'Memory' and 'Rig' available - I use Memory FormatFlash and InitFlash
    11.) Normal restart (without the USB stick)
    12.) It started normal - tuner works fine - but NO rigs in the KPA - all empty
    13.) Put my USB Stick inside - loaded my old backup and ... all the same errors - so for whatever reason the backup is corrupted
    14.) Did all again but not reloading my backup (Skip step 13)
    15.) Imported all my single rigs (it's a good idea to export all rigs from time to time - in addition to backup)
    16.) It takes some time ....
    17.) KPA reports 'successfully imported 424 files')
    18.) press ok - KPA reboots
    19.) Everything works fine - stock and my own profiles/rigs
    20.) I lost my input settings (for all my guitars) and the system settings (like KPA Name...) but that's ok

Again - read all here carefully and don't complain in case it does not work - do not play with any of these settings 'just for fun' in case your KPA works fine.

Works again - I found a hidden key combination to activate a maintenance mode - unfortunately this mode was not working in the latest firmware.
    But then I found another key combination to load a firmware file from USB stick (during bootup).
    So I loaded an older firmware and was able to format and init the flash (where the corrupted profiles, rigs or whatever were stored).
    After some more time...
    Everything works again - beside some lost system settings - but thats ok.

In case I install my old backup it crashed again - so I did it all again - and then restored my profiles/rigs from my exports.

IT'S VERY importaint to make exports of all rigs - since the backup/restore seams to cause a lot of problems in the latest firmware.
    The same is true for the 'restore factory rigs' - it simply does not work - and I even think this may be the root of the problem.

Armin

Have you tried a reboot holding both SYSTEM and QUICK buttons together whilst turning ON?

I tried to hold system before - no help.

System and quick does not help neither - is there a difference between system only and system and quick?

Are there other keys to press or/and hold to delete all the profiles?

I can't understand how such things could happen.

If there is something wrong with the profiles/rigs or whatever then I see no reason to crash the system.

btw. I did not edit anything with a hexeditor or whatever.

I am a software developer myself and also did a lot of beta testing for music equipment and the first rule for such a thing is - it's not allowed to crash - there are easy ways to handle exceptions.

Even in case someone would load a picture instead of a profile - it's not ok to crash!

It's fine that the KPA reports that there is a problem - but then the next step should be to ask if its ok to erase the faulty profile/rig - and if it still not works after a reboot it should ask if it's ok to delete all profiles/rigs and use only the factory ones.

No, I tried it with the USB key now - all the same.

When I boot it runs fine for the first 70-80% then the screen changes color and the error message will be displayed.

Is there no way to delete all profiles during the startup?
    I could easily restore all single profiles in case I could start up this thing clean.