Posts by sheguitarplayer

FWIW I bought armins axefx profiles to play around with, mainly because I always liked the Marsha amp model.
    The profiles are very nice, and worth getting, esp for those amps we have no profiles of just yet.
    I had an axefx 2 for almost 2 weeks and from what I remember these are very close.

Ok Ive done a couple of profiles using this method.
    The afd100nc and evh5150nc profiles I did were KPA>amp>palmer PDI03 (direct out)>KPA>atomic FRFR>5150 4x12
    The profiles sound and feel pretty much spot on to what the amp does with the powersoak/reamp
    I can see what the op is trying to achieve here, its exactly what I went for too.
    Don't know if its something to do with the THD (I can't see what though).
    The feel of the profile is very dependent on how the master volume is set if thats any help.
    High master volume = smoother with less obvious dynamics.
    Try out my profiles see what you think through power amp/guitar cab.

Replying to my own post here...How weird.
    Im loving the cab from the Best Worlds preset (Steavens) and TillS 2 mic 2 Marshall.
    Im actually running FRFR with these profiles with one of my bands, which is a biggy for me. I normally use cab sims for quiet rehearsals but hate 'em live.
    These babies are excellent though.
    Looking forward to getting into the studio soon to get my 5150 cab profiled with some nice mics

Yes the the hot plate is a power soak.
    Set it at 'load' so you don't need your guitar cab connected to the amp.This is very important.when set at load you can run the amp with no speaker connected. Without this, doing so will damage the amp.
    Signal chain goes
    KPA>amp input
    Speaker out of amp>thd hot plate speaker input (set hot plate at load)
    Direct out of hot plate>KPA
    You can if you wish monitor the profiling process via the main outputs of the KPA>carvin amp>guitar cab
    By doing this you can monitor exactly how it's going to sound during playback through that power amp and cab, and set the amp controls up accordingly.
    When profiling is over you don't need the power soak any more.
    Just KPA>carvin>guitar cab

Yes the the hot plate is a power soak.
    Set it at 'load' so you don't need your guitar cab connected to the amp.
    Signal chain goes
    KPA>amp input
    Speaker out of amp>thd hot plate speaker input (set hot plate at load)
    Direct out of hot plate>KPA
    You can if you wish monitor the profiling process via the main outputs of the KPA>carvin amp>guitar cab
    By doing this you can monitor exactly how it's going to sound during playback through that power amp and cab, and set the amp controls up accordingly.
    When profiling is over you don't need the power soak any more.
    Just KPA>carvin>guitar cab

Personally I 'cheat'. I profile the amp (and its power amp) using a power soak.. That way I eliminate the speaker and mic etc. and can decide how much power amp effect I need by how loud the master volume is.
    When I play that profile through my external power amp and guitar cab, it sounds just like the original amp through the same cab..
    Having said that I've found some cab and mic profiles on the KPA which I am impressed with to the extent that I've actually gigged with them FRFR and that's a first for me..sounded great and I'm usually not a fan of playing live FRfR.

Gave the plexi profile (with tillS 2 mic 2 cab) a whirl at rehearsal (LOUD!!!) last night, both 'as is' and as a solo patch with more gain and volume. Really,really sweet.Loved it.
    Any chance you can profile the JCM 800 mode?

PA speakers are trying very hard to be FRFR.
    FRFR means Flat frequency flat response. Its what all pa systems are going for but its a trade off of price vs power, and total FRFR is probably not actually possible with current technology.
    'Cheap pa systems get nowhere near.
    All these FRFR systems you see being touted on the likes of the axefx forum etc are actually pa speakers.
    For example the RCF NX12s that are the current 'go to' FRFR monitors are mid range pa speakers/monitors, and are designed and marketed as such.The atomic FRFR series (which I use to my regret) is designed to be FRFR but again, its really 'as close as we can reasonably get'
    Top pa systems (d&b and the like) are pretty much the state of the art and much more expensive than you want to spend on a guitar monitor system.
    A Pa system also highlights many low and high frequencies that make a guitar sound awful.
    If you were to mic a very expensive guitar amp through the pa system the engineer would eq it to remove the woofy lows and piercing highs. This is because the mic itself imparts a huge impact on the tone, usually adding big highs and lows and sucking out some mids.
    A modeller, no matter how high spec, would be the same. If it didn't, it wouldn't be realistically modelling the mic part of the 'chain'
    One of the things I really like about the KPA is it involves the amp, the power amp, the speaker, the mic and finally, the eq applied at the mixing desk after the mic to 'balance out' those piercing highs and lows. Whats more, it captures the way they all interact which can't be completely captured when trying to split them into component parts.

When I FINALLY get my Kemper I shall be using it with either my Carvin DCM1000 or Matrix power amp & 4x12 Harry Kolbe cab. I mostly play live.
    Question I have is: Won't using a power amp along with a profiled power amp sound funny? There's no Power amp on/off button, but that would just defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
    I have the Adams A7X but I will be going for some KorN or Buckethead jamming and want a whole lot of massive 4x12 air moving!
    I think I'm way off the mark as to how this all works, sorry.
    CH

Shouldn't do.
    The power amp stage of the profiled amp has a profound effect on the sound of the amp as its designed that way.
    The Carvin is, I believe, a pa amp. These are designed to amplify the signal cleanly with little or no coloration, and succeed to a varying degree depending on the quality of the amp. They certainly don't have the sag and give of a loud valve guitar amp.
    EVH used to use HH mosfet amps to 'reamplify' his power soaked Marshalls, and I bet they were nowhere near as clean as your car vin.
    Im using my KPA with a 50watt atomic valve amp and an evh 5150 cab. It is absolutely fantastic.
    Ive made some profiles specifically using a power soak, which basically gives me a profile of the amp/power amp but no speaker and these work very well indeed with the power amp/cab combination.

Nice one elfredo.
    Was hoping to get some cab profiles done with the Shure ribbon mic.
    Any chance you can do something with a Marshall cab and that mic?
    Would go great with the afd100 profiles. Its what Slash is using on his live rig.

just checked out their website, didn't know anything about this amp. I would very much like a few more profiles of this amp. seems to have a number of different very useful sounds under the hood.

Yes it would be nice to get some profiles of the other 'modes'.
    Very nice profiles so far.