Posts by sheguitarplayer

Some factory profiles done with high end mics, say for example the shure KSM313 on typical 4x12 cabs would be great for swapping around the cabs with other profiles. These mics typically cost a heck of a lot of money and will not be available to most end users.
    This is what a lot of our pro guitar slingers (Slash, Aerosmith et al) are using both in the studio and live these days for a more natural sound.

In a video review some time ago Mr Kemper mentioned he may develop a power amp to slot into the slot at the rear of the KPA.
    Im hoping this arrives quite soon as it will make setup of my rig a breeze (I still prefer to use a power amp/cab).
    Anyone else who would go for the Kemper power amp?

Hi
    Ive set up the pod HD500 to change patches and switch stomps/fx on and off.
    Haven't set the wah up yet but should be easy enough.
    Haven't yet properly road tested this setup as there have apparently been a few midi bugs present in the current KPA firmware which are due to be addressed soon and have only had 2 rehearsals so far with the KPA. For this Ive just been using a 2 way footswitch to change patches up/down.
    I did successfully use the pod HD500 as a foot controller with this same configuration for the axefx before realising it was close enough for me to actually sell the axefx.

OK
    axefx vs Kemper.....
    I owned an axefx (ist gen, both standard and ultra) for about 3 years.
    I had an axefx 2 for about a week and a half then returned it.
    Ive also owned many other modellers in the past.
    Played for about 30+ years and have owned many valve amps.I still own a few nice ones.
    Thing with the axefx (both generations) was, if I plug into it and play on say for example a Marshall amp for a while it is perfectly nice, a very very good Marshall emulation, until I plug into MY Marshalls. They are instantly much better. They sound and feel real (cos they are). Plugging back into the axe it suddenly feels very fake indeed, no matter how much I tweak, go FRFR, change to power amp/ cab, even go so far as to switch off the power amp emulation and go into the fx return of my Marshalls (thereby utilising the real power amp and cab, and just the axefx preamp). The best I can say is that it sounds like a valve amp that sounds like a Marshall, but not a Marshall (If u know what I mean). When the pod HD came out I was using the axefx in the manner above (power amp/cab) and there was so little difference between the pod and the axefx in this context I sold my axefx. This is in no way a dig at the pod HD. For its price I still reckon its a killer device and it is also a good foot controller for the KPA! Its biggest failing IMHO is the cab sims and I didn't use them.
    Now then, profile the same amp with the KPA.
    Different ball game, this is real.......

Cheers Mats
    I think its a very powerful feature.
    Its amazing how you can remove the boominess of for example the old marshalls etc with this to make them sound more modern.

The Axe people are crazy!!!

Seriously - let's not start a war here - but those guys have made a huge investment at $2000 upwads.
    They invested in the "best of the best in the whole galaxy". So naturally - if another product comes out that rivals that at a lower cost - it just cannot be possible for them.
    They seriously start to panic as their world could blow up!!! :D

Yeah you're right, sorry.
    I followed the link and after reading all the -ve comments found myself getting sucked in......
    I should know better by now.

One of the things that Mr Kemper has made quite clear is that the KPA has problems profiling some modellers. It may be that the axefx is one of these.
    The other thing is that in profiling a modeller you are in effect copying a copy (2nd generation copy).
    There was always gonna be a furore over on the axefx forum.
    One of the reasons I was quietly satisfied when I finally sold my 1st generation axefxs and went back to tube amps was my embarrassment at the forum behaviour over there. (guilt by association) .
    Anything new that came out would be met with a mixture mass panic and/or utter derision. It was almost as if the thought process was like 'OMG something new has come out. Maybe my axefx isn't the best anymore. What will I do? OMG OMG OMG!!.
    Used to embarrass me and also to take a lot of the glowing comments about the axefx with a pinch of salt. Nowadays this is another of the things they are now bashing reviews about any other product about. Don't get me wrong I liked the axefx, at the time it probably was the best modeller around, but after the eleven rack and the pod HD came out the gap was closing fast, hence axefx2.
    If you believe the hype over there (and this is one of the things they use to whip ppl with nowadays) the axefx was at 95% of a tube amp at firmware 7 of the 1st gen units.Yet every time a new firmware update comes out Cliff is a genius, has raised the ballgame etc.
    Surely by now the real tube amps sound about 75% as good as an axefx 2!

It would be cool to have a "cab-only" profiling mode :)
    I guess if you just profile an IR it won't be exactly the same as the KPA will think it is a clean amp?

But I don't know :)

Yeah, likewise an 'amp only' one, for direct out recordings. A portion of the direct out profile ends up in the cab section of the profile (just try switching the cab off on these profiles).
    I can see the benefits of the 'overall picture' in profiling everything in the chain, but it would be fun if they could be completely separate at the profiling stage.