Posts by Virtuoso

Yes, you can batch edit manufacturer tags, but not rig tags which is the subject of the request and the primary thing you see when scrolling through or using presets (edit: on the Kemper).

The rig tag is editable and not locked - I'd just like to be able to batch rename them to turn nonsense like 'Hubbly Jubbly Gondwana Mars Attacks L3+' into 'Marshall Silver Jubilee L3+'! ^^

Here's the thinking behind the request...

If I'm looking for an amp, I tend to start with the manufacturer - ok I want a Marshall, or a Fender, or a Mesa etc...

I have the Tone Junkie Everything Pack, which has over 3000 profiles. There's no real order to them. For legal reasons they have pun names, which sort of indicate which amp the profile is based on - some are obvious, some are more obscure. But this makes browsing a pain, because a Fender might be called '69 Vibe Rolex', 'Pro Sound', 'Edgey Tweed' etc. so they are strewn around randomly amongst all the other profiles. And maybe I just can't remember what 'Nigel 30' or 'Tall Weeds Myth Dallas' are supposed to be!

Usually the profiles have a few characters at the end to indicate things like the type of tone, amp channel, amount of gain and any pedals that were used, so the full name might be '69 Vibe Rolex B3' or 'Fullerton 5Edge3 m4'

I'd like to be able to just rename the first part of the rig name as Fender Vibrolux 69, Fender Princeton, Fender Tweed Deluxe. etc but keeping any characters at the end which are useful, so it would then be 'Fender Vibrolux 69 B3'. This would make browsing by manufacturer on the Kemper Stage a lot easier.

This is very easy to do on file names in MacOS Finder - just select all the files, choose File/Rename x Items... and then Find '69 Vibe Rolex' and Replace with 'Fender Vibrolux 69'. It will leave the end characters alone. This will not affect the Rig Name tag which is used by the Kemper though - only the file name.

I would like to see the same functionality added to the Rig Manager so that the Rig Name tags for whole profile packs could be renamed with minimal effort, rather than having to do them one by one, which is all it currently supports.

It would be great if we could select a bunch of rigs and rename them within RM, ideally with a simple Find & Replace format. Would help to clean up collections and make browsing by Manufacturer much easier. Currently if I want to find Marshalls, they could be listed as '72 Mars, Arshall, Gondwana Mars, 87 Silver Jub, etc etc. When you have lots of profiles it makes browsing a pain in the ass.

Currently you can only rename profiles one by one which is a tedious process, so being able to select 40 profiles at a time and just replace the junk/pun names with Marshall in one click would make life so much easier!

(Disclaimer: I am a reverb junkie. You wouldn't believe how many reverbs I own in hardware or plugin form!)

Short version:-
    Strymon BSR - Room is ok. Plate and Spring are crap. No control over Modulation. Shimmer sounds cheap.
    Strymon Flint - Great basic sounds and it's pretty much plug and play for what 90% of guitarists probably want. Hard to get a bad sound out of it, but very limited tweakability.
    Neunaber Wet - Idiot proof and great for huge ambient washes, but at the expense of realism. Nice smooth Shimmer, but you have to flash the firmware with your computer to switch algorithms.
    Eventide Space - In a totally different league. You're getting the power of a $2k studio rack unit with most of the functionality in a stomp box. The effects are top class and there's nothing out there with this level of control.

Long version:-
    The Eventide Space has some fantastic reverbs with a very high level of tweakability, if that's your thing. You will need to work on the factory presets as most of them are demonstrating the more 'out there' potential of the box. If you read the notes it will tell you how to get the most out of the presets - quite a few of them are actually intended for vocals/drums/special fx etc and will sound a bit weird on guitar if you're just browsing through them. Read the manual - this is a deep and sophisticated unit, not a plug and play toy.

I think it's the best reverb stomp box currently out there - there's really not much you can't do with it. I owned the Strymon BSR for about a year and still have a Flint and a Neunaber Stereo Wet. Why would I rate the Space top?

1. 100 Presets. The BSR has 2. The Flint has 1 (or 2 if you buy the optional favorite switch).
    2. Large screen which is easy to read - it's about 6 times larger than the Strymon Mobius/Timeline screens and you can give your patches long descriptive names.
    3. Lots of very different reverb types. The standard algorithms (plate/hall/room/spring) are very realistic and most have a ton of parameters for getting exactly the sound you want. Some algorithms allow for multiple simultaneous effects (eg modulation, delay and reverb, or tremolo and reverb). The more adventurous algorithms are great if you're doing radical sound creation. Reverb is a deep science and Eventide has a long studio pedigree in this area.
    4. 11 knobs. This may put some people off, but seriously don't just hope to wing it - take a couple of hours and study the manual. It's very easy to dial in when you've got the hang of it. There are also tons of live performance control options with the hotswitch, external aux switches, expression pedal and MIDI. The Hotswitch can store alternative values for all of the knobs so each preset can have two radically different sounds if you so choose. USB makes flashing firmware a breeze and there's a patch librarian.
    5. Eventide 'zero obsolessence' philosophy. They release updates every so often with new features - eg last year the Space got a hotswitch ambient freeze feature.

What are the bad points?

1. Switching patches can take a second or so if the pedal needs to load a different algorithm. It has tails though so it's not as if the sound goes dead.
    2. The PSU is a bulky wall wart with a flimsy cable that never really feels securely attached.
    3. A 3 button aux switch means you can select patches and still use the hotswitch and tap tempo - otherwise it's a bit of a nuisance switching between play and preset modes. My aux switch was $16 so it's not really that big a deal.
    4. I have said this several times already, but you do need to read the manual and understand some of the principles of reverb to really get the best out of it.

As for the H9 - meh! :thumbdown: Apparently it will be priced at $500 street and $20 per additional algorithm (I can't speak for the Pitch or TimeFactors, but I found most of the ModFactor algos disappointing). Works only with iOS at the moment and it only does one sound at once - Eventide's 'solution' to this is to just buy more H9s! 8o

So, to answer your original question, if you want the power and control but you're on a budget, look for a used Space - they can be had for around $380. If you want great sounds with minimal effort and don't care about presets, get the Flint and consider the Trem side a bonus. Just bear in mind you get a HELL of a lot more with the Space for the extra $100 it will cost you. :D

Im not seeing the 2 high gain profiles when i search by your name, and the link isnt working. Am i missing something?

I thought the high gain profiles were pretty crap so I took them down. I didn't really like the sound on the actual amp either - too mushy for my tastes. I never use high gain though, so maybe I just don't know how to dial it in properly. :)

Andrew, another set of excellent of profiles. I wonder if you could describe your approach and set-up to profilng, you really seem to be able to nail the clean to crunch sound.
    :)
    Neil

Thanks Neil. I really like tones where you can go from clean to crunch with just your playing dynamics, which is how I set up my amps and pedals 90% of the time. I don't really like the close miked sound, so I usually place the mic slightly off-axis, 12"-18" from the cone, which seems to give a more natural sound with more depth. All my profiles so far were done in a tiny guest bedroom with very boxy acoustics, so I hope I will be able to do a much better job when I move house in a couple of weeks to a place with a proper basement studio. :thumbup:

If I had to limit myself to 4 profiles only, the TA30 Hi 1 would be one of those 4. I just love that profile!

Seriously? You have terrible taste! 8|:D

I don't really miss an editor since, unlike the AxeFX, the KPA is already quite easy to edit. And since (sadly) there is no USB audio support, there is no need for a VST plugin.

What I'm desperate for though is a Librarian - patch management is a massive pain in the arse at the moment. Similarly, editing all the metadata when creating profiles is such a chore that I've just stopped doing it altogether - no more profiles from me until they release a Librarian! X(

It's such an obvious failing (to me anyway) that I can't understand why it's taking so long. It's been out for months now and there's still no set list functionality. It's hard to believe this is the same company that produced the Virus TI - I assumed they would carry over everything they learned on that excellent product into the KPA. ?(

Of the ones that he has...

1. Bearfoot Honey Beest
    2. Skreddy Screwdriver Deluxe
    3. Bearfoot Model H
    4. Bearfoot Dyna Red
    5. Crowther Hot Cake (best with EL84 amps)

He doesn't have any of these ones (yet!) but this would be my personal top 5. It's a shame you're 6000 miles away or I'd send them to you for the session!

1. Fetto Nord
    2. Rockbox Boiling Point
    3. Ibanez TS808HW
    4. Wampler Plexi-Drive
    5. Wampler Euphoria

Hmm... mixed feelings about the ones I've bought so far.

The Tone King Imperial is absolutely superb. Some of the very best profiles I've played - nails the sound and feel completely and each profile is very usable and dynamic. :thumbup:

The Carol-Ann OD2 and Matchless Avalon (both amps which I owned for 2 or 3 years, so I know them very well) fall short. The overdriven profiles are very spiky with a ton of low end, and to my ears sound quite unbalanced. The OD2 is a smooth, harmonically rich amp, capable of thick Larry Carlton tones, but these profiles just sound very harsh to me. Maybe it's the choice of mic? I don't think an SM57 is a good pairing for an OD2. Also for some reason, the clean profiles are clipping like mad - Andy, how do you have your KPA input section set?

(FYI monitoring on Genelec 8040a and Mackie HR824mk2s)

Nice selection! At $125 for the set though, it's not going to be an impulse purchase for me, particularly since I can't try them out first. I will give the Carol-Ann OD2 a spin though since I used to own one and very much regret selling it!

Have you looked at Redwirez business model? They offer a ton of cabinet IRs with a money back guarantee and a loyalty bonus with increasing discounts the more you buy. I started off with just a couple of their packs and ended up with 90% of them. :thumbup:

I've had mixed results trying to profile pedals - some turn out ok, others for some reason seem flat and lifeless. After a lot of experimentation I think I've finally come up with the right formula. :wacko:

I just uploaded a profile of a Two Rock Studio Pro 35 with a Catalinbread RAH pedal. This pedal is inspired by the Jimmy Page 1970 'Royal Albert Hall' sound and is very dynamic. It is also quite low gain so if you need more, hit Stomp B! :thumbup:

The profile name is 'Two Rock SP35 RAH'. It's working well for me here - what do you think?

If I've finally got it right, I'll go on and profile some more overdrives. I have 14 more here waiting! :D

[Blocked Image: http://www.virtuosopacific.com/guitars/rah.jpg]