Posts by Mats_Nermark

Hi!

In the beginning of my use of the Kemper there weren't at all the variety of good third party profiles to be had as we see today. So I did some profiling sessions of my own that I called the Black Goop Sessions. I did two of them and I enjoyed it immensely. The goal was to get a D-style sound just the way I want it. Got my hands of some terrific gear from people who normally don't let people know they have it. I did get some nice profiles and I shared some them on the Rig Exchange.Then I found The Amp Factory and Michael Britt's profiles and was very happy with what I had.

But there's always been this nagging feeling that my D-style search wasn't quite over yet.

Then one day I get this call from a person who shall remain unnamed. He had heard my tunes using D-style sounds and told me he had some D-style gear he didn't want to take on the road. So he had bought himself a Kemper and wondered if I'd be interested in doing a 3rd Black Goop session with some of his stuff.

I said yes and a few weeks ago we sat down with some very tasty stuff and had a good time in a studio. This time I had gotten some good advice from Michael Britt on profiling so I had some specific ideas I wanted to try. This time I also had some specific tones I wanted to get. I mainly profiled two setups. One worked well and the other did not work quite that well.

I'm still editing the profiles to get them just where I want them but I'm very happy with a few I have done. When I was profiling I got a musical phrase in my head and profiled the sound to work with that phrase. This phrase later turned into this tune "No Taste Of Rain".

I love playing with this sound. It's meaty and warm, but still very touch sensitive and somehow delicate. It responds VERY well to changes in pick attack, volume pedal (set to before pedals in the KPA) and guitar volume (different sounds to be had).

Here's the tune. I may mix it differently but I'm kind of happy with it.

I'm very interested in what you think of the sound.

[MEDIA=soundcloud][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media]

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    [/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/MEDIA]

Cheers,

Mats N

all right, I'd love to listen to this man, I'm gonna check his recordings.

thx for the insight

My pleasure, Waraba!

Phil has a CD called "The Jimi Project" where he does his very own interpretations of Hendrix tunes. After hearing that CD I thought almost all other attempts at doing Henderix are mainly bad covers and ripoffs. :)
    My favorite Phil B tune, however, is "Shakespeare Told Me".

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi Matt/ALL

Mat, thanks for the Great demo , what profile was that my friend?

Ash

Thanks, Ash! Glad you liked it.

The funky clean and cleanish rhtym parts were recorded with a Wooly Coats Extra Spanky profile by Michel Britt. He wanted my view on these profiles and the best way to find out is to use them. So I did and I really like it. If I got Michael's intentions correctly, he is planning to do a 3rd Power Pack and these Spanky profiles will be part of that.

The lead guitar used Michael's 70s Marshall SL4 profile that already available.

Cheers,

Mats N

tasty as usual Mats :thumbup:

Thanks, Luntho!

Excellent stuff and not that much inspired by jeff Beck ;)

Hey Waraba! I have actually been listening a lot to Phil Brown, who has a lot of Jeff Beck in his playing. I have, of course, listened to Beck over time, but I honestly think I've spent more time listening to Phil Brown. First time I met Phil Brown, I'd never heard about him. I was spending time with Fractal (this was before the KPA) at NAMM and Phil came in and asked to try it. I was totally blown away by his playing. And when he started singing in this little room, I was amazed at what one man and a guitar could do.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Just recorded a funky piece with some Extra Spanky profiles.
    All sound except the bass and drums are made with a guitar and the KPA. All guitars except the lead is Michael's Spanky profiles.
    Lead is the 70 Marshall from MBritt.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi good people of the KPA pursuation!

I was asked to do a demo of the Extra Spanky profiles in a funk contact.

As I love playing the funk, here it is:

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi Bo,

Just listened to Summer Flower. Lovely piece of music where you use the different guitar textures to great musical effect. The tune itself is beautiful and the playing shows real emotion. Thanks for posting this!

Cheers,

Mats N

More and more I am gravitating to the 3rd Power Dream Weaver profiles... :thumbup:

I have always liked those the best. And the more profiles I try the more I'm finding out how much I like them. Mike just sent me some prototype profiles of the 3rd Power Wolly Coats Extra Spanky and that really is a nice amp.

Here's a tune using that Spanky.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Just a heads up here. I'm in the middle of recording a new tune and using a prototype profile of the Wolly Coats Extra Spanky and that is so nice for a clean melody. The 69 Marshall from Michael I tweaked for lead is very impressive and dynamic too.

Cheers,

Mats N

We are do for some new profiles from Michael. Let's hope it's soon. I heard the wooly cotes at the Rockett booth and it sounded spectacular.

And Chris VanTassel who played the Rockett pedals is a great player. When he used the Blue Note, Lenny or the 45 Caliber I was in tone heaven.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

I just came from NAMM where I heard a Wooly Coats Extra Spanky. I immediately fell in love with it. Thing is that Mr Britt has an amp like that and will most probably profile it for us.

Good times ahead!

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Not long after I got the KPA I went to Fenix Recording to do some profiling. One of the amps I profiled was a Marshall modified by Swedish amp guru Tommy Folkesson. The goal of the mod was to make it sound like Van Halen's Marshall and the "brown" sound. At first the owner didn't want me to profile it as it's only one of two such amps in existence. It was after promising to keep it to myself that I was allowed to profile it.

I have had some profiles of that amp sitting in my KPA since then but the sound is so far from anything I tend to play, I haven't used before. It has a ton of gain and is very bright.

But for this tune I went through a number of sounds looking for a sound that would respond well to changes of guitar volume control. I came to think of my Brownie profiles and remembered them as responsive. So I tried them and one of them worked quite well. It's difficult profile to play as very small changes in pick attack gets big change in tone.

All guitar sounds in the tune is just one profile. All the different tones and levels of gain were attained by changing pickups and adjusting the gain and the tone control of the guitar.

Hope you enjoy it!

[MEDIA=soundcloud][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media][media]

[/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/media][/MEDIA]

In case you want to download it and/or the backing track they are available for free at http://www.nermark.com.

Cheers,

Mats N

You know what is even better? In 2-3 years from now, it will still have "holy shit" effect.. it does for me.

This is so true. The versatility and dynamics are still surprising. Did a session the other day when the producer pulled out a Donald Fagen style tune. He told me he wanted me to sound like the guitar player on Fagen's Nightfly album. Well, that was Larry Carlton and I remembered from an interview that he used a low wattage small Fender for that album. It think it was a Princeton. So I loaded a few Princeton profiles from Michael Britt. And the second one was close but I couldn't immediately get the gain right. Then I remembered that LC usual has a volume pedal in front of his amps. I hooked up a Roland expression pedal to control volume and took down the volume a hair or two. And BAM, I was there. Taking down the volume with a pedal put before the profile also lowers the gain and gives a different tone than just lowering the gain on the KPA. The producer was very happy and so was I.

Cheers,

Mats N

Here we go :)

Hi,

Glad you're enjoying my tweaks. I remember how exacted I was when Mike mailed me about helping him get these profiles beta tested and tweaked. I spent a lot of time with these profiles getting them just to the place I wanted them.

There are two things to keep in mind when playing these profiles. Do not underestimate the creative use of a volume pedal in front of the profile. I use a Roland expression pedal to control the volume and the control point is pre stomps. Then it works like a remote overdrive and dynamics control. Using the guitar volume gives you other tonal flavors as do the guitar tone controls. I just spent an hour playing this profile and I still love it.

Cheers,

Mats N