Posts by Mats_Nermark

Hey Mats, did you try using the compressor settings in the amp module for this?

Yes I did, and I also use it but what that compression setting does is different from the stomp compressor.

For example in this this Dumble rig I start out with the amp compression at 2.1. Then I add one, two or three compressors depending on what sound and feel I want.
    And as I use fairly mild settings with a clean sound, noise is not an issue for me.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

As some of you know, I've been fooling around with Michael Britt's Dumble profiles for some time. One of the sounds I'm after is the sort of clean sound that Larry Carlton has. A very warm and fat smooth clean sound for a humbucker set-neck guitar. Very defined with a clear and fast attack without being obnoxiously sharp.

After a while I got 86% of the sound but not the feel. For this kind of sound I used a compressor before the amps when I used amps. It was either a Frantone Sandwich or a T-Rex Squeezer.

So I put a compressor in stomp slot A of the KPA and set that up. Much better. Then I realized when I'm in the studio. I use my compressor before the amp and then the engineer use one compressor at the desk post amp. So I put another compressor in effects slot X and set that up.

Bingo! I'm there. This is the sound and the feel I want. And it really lets me play the way I want to. It fattens it up and tames the peaks without impeding my dynamics. Great!

Then, I remembered that Lowell George used two compressors in series so now I'm experimenting with that. Compressors in slot A and B and EQ in slot D for some pre-profile tone shaping and then a compressor in slot x. As I have all stomps and fx switchable by MIDI CC from my Rocktron All Access I can not use these three compressors in any combination depending on the sound and feel I want.

I'm signing off as a happy man!

Cheers,

Mats N

Wow man what a great mood in this song,i love it...Great work!!

Hi Bigb,

What a nice tune. I never managed to combine acoustic and electric the way you did here. Also I never could make any Dumble style amp work for me when using OD and a Strat style guitar. You make it sound good.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi!

Just finished yet another tune using Mike's profiles.
    I recorded this tune using a James Tyler Studio Elite Burning Water with a Dumble profile I tweaked for clean for rhythm and a Bletchler Bomber from Pack1.

Hope you enjoy it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

What? "Mats-tweaking"? I'm honored to be an expression in these circumstances. :D

Regarding my tweaks, this is what made the profile as far as I'm concerned. For me I needed to get some of the "oomph" out of the sound and these tweaks did it for me. Also agree about using the profile with humbuckers. For me it doesn't work with singles. Just not my kind of thing. Maybe if I tweak it some more as I have some ideas but we'll see. The clean Dumble goes very with with single for rhythm playing.

Now everybody's so worked up about the /13 profiles so I'll ave to try them again as I seem to have bypassed them first time around.

Cheers,

Mats N

BTT!

Did a recording session last night where I used a clean Dumble from Pack 2 with a TriStereochorus simulation and it was so fat and powerful. Pure "shmo" to my ears. Took me back to the 80s pronto. For lead I used the Bletchley Bomber from Pack 1 for lead.

The really cool thing about Mike's profiles aren't really how good they sound but rather how happy they make me and that they make me play better. They encourage me to be more musical.

Cheers,

Mats N

Thanks for posting Mats!!
    that nails it. which delay and or reverb do you use?
    Steven

Hi Steven,

Wow, you've already tried it. Very cool and I'm glad it works for you. If it makes as much difference to you having this sound as it does to me, I'm happy I could share.

Delay is tap delay with 39% mix, 14.1% feedback.
    Reverb is Hall with 24% mix, +15 balance, 6.2 time and 7.0 damping.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Mike and I have discussed what profile I used on "In No Time" that has been discussed here and elsewhere. We have found it to be the "Dumble N 3-2" which is included in Mike's Profile Pack 2.

My tweaks to the rig are as follows:
    Graphc EQ in Stomp D with 80HZ = -6,6dB and 160Hz = -3,6. The rst is flat.
    Gain = 6.1
    Amp Definition = 6.9, Power Sagging = 2.1, Compressor = 1.2, Clarity = 2.9, Tube Shape = 3.3. The rest is at 0.
    EQ: Bass = -3.2, Middle = +1,3, Treble = -0.8, Presence = -1.2
    Cabinet: Low Shift = -0.7, Character: -3.0. The rest at 0.

The key to getting this sound right (as I hear it), is to work with the guitar volume and play the dynamics with your pick.

Here's the tune for reference:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Mike and I have discussed what profile I used on "In No Time" that has been discussed here and elsewhere. We have found it to be the "Dumble N 3-2" which is included in Mike's Profile Pack 2.

My tweaks to the rig are as follows:
    Graphc EQ in Stomp D with 80HZ = -6,6dB and 160Hz = -3,6. The rst is flat.
    Gain = 6.1
    Amp Definition = 6.9, Power Sagging = 2.1, Compressor = 1.2, Clarity = 2.9, Tube Shape = 3.3. The rest is at 0.
    EQ: Bass = -3.2, Middle = +1,3, Treble = -0.8, Presence = -1.2
    Cabinet: Low Shift = -0.7, Character: -3.0. The rest at 0.

The key to getting this sound right (as I hear it), is to work with the guitar volume and play the dynamics with your pick.

Here's the tune for reference:

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Mats N

Was this slight or several led's? The reason I ask is that the gain control on the Kemper would be different than the amp unless they by happenstance follow the same gain structure. Since I am mostly interested in the Dumble/Dumble clones this is of interest to me. Thanks.

I'm not Mike but as I'm somewhat involved I'll chime in.
    I went both ways with the gain on the Dumble profile I used for my tunes/clips and lowered the gain a bit for my Carlton style tune and increased a bit for the Robben Ford tune. Not by much. I'll try to find out.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi Gianfranco
    Well obviously that is true but the Dumble amp has a OD and a Boost switch. If the boost switch is engaged you get a completely different tone cause it shuts down the Tone stack. It also gives more distortion. So It's a question of how THIS profile was made. With the boost on or off.

Yup, the ODS is a strange beast and quirky to boot.

Cheers,

Mats N

I have a another question about the Dumble Profiles (sorry). When I listen to Mats Nermarks clips the sound comes a lot closer to the "not so distorted" Robben Ford/Larry Carlton tone. When I listen to Michaels clips they sound is a lot more distorted (saturated? Don't know if that's the right word). Is it the same profile? I do like Mats' tone a lot and I'm not that interested in a very distorted Dumble tone. I used to own a Ceritone but never got the tone I was looking for. I switched to Kemper and love it. I still haven't found a good Robben Ford tone. So I was looking forward to this. But not sure if this pack is for me.

Hi Steven,

I think I know what you mean and I think I got the rig fairly close to what that is. I'm not sure as I write, exactly which of Mike's profiles I used for that rig that I made the recording with but when my present recording project is done I will try to find out. If that profile is in Mike's Pack 2, then if Mike approves, I will post my tweaks here so you can get the sound I have.

Cheers,

Mats N