Posts by Burkhard

Locking survives a power cycle.

I guess, you need to first explain your intentions.

How are you planning to activate and deactivate your wah effects?

Via Rig change, via toe switch (the Mission EP1 is available with and without toe switch) or via Pedal Mode in each wah effect e. g. Bypass@Heel?

Using Bandhelper plus Remote myself I don't understand your workflow. In Bandhelper I need to set up a MIDI preset per song. This MIDI preset is even shared amongst all the bandmates. So, it's not something I do while playing anyhow and the effort it takes to get the MIDI numbers either from the display (while the Remote is disconnected), or from the manual or do the calculation in my head is minor. Normally, you don't jump from Performance 7 Slot 2 to Performance 113 Slot 4, do you? I only load the first Slots of any Performance via MIDI, which is always my start sound for a song. However, doing the math to load other Slots within the Performance is easy.

We don't display bank nor programs change numbers, while a Remote is connected, because it allows Remote users to focus on the relevant information. If you want to know which MIDI numbers are associated with a particular Slot, check out the chapter MIDI in the Main Manual or disconnect the Remote while you are setting up Bandhelper, Setlistmaker, …

This is basic MIDI practice. Some companies refer to the logical range 1-128, others refer to the values behind 0-127. The first program change and the first bank have the value "0". We consistently refer to the logical range.

Wenn man eine Remote besitzt, kann man sich etwas in den Looper spielen (der auf Location Pre stehen muß) und dann gemütlich per Doppelklick aus Rig Manager Rigs temporär in den PROFILER laden und vorhören.

Just to let you know, that the Basic Manual is not current anymore. While some of its content moved to the new Main Manual, the rest has been replaced by the new Quick Start. I recommend to rely on digital copies of Quick Start, Main Manual, and Addendum, which are more current.

I don't understand why in your Gaelic-like song example, if you found a perfect delay type and tweaked it as your archetype, you cannot simply create a preset of that delay and name it "Gaelic Archetype Delay". From then onwards it's available for reuse and further tweaking and the name has a meaning for you. That's exactly the idea of presets and their normal workflow. And your ears will confirm, that the delays in all those Gaelic songs are not identical but sound similar. And that's sufficient.

Effects within Rigs are not necessarily based on presets or could have been created on another PROFILER with a different pool of presets than yours.

If, as paults asked above, you want less than 5 slots in a performance, you can change that in the Systems settings, it's on page 12 of 18.

The option "Group of 5" has nothing to do with Performance Mode, but determines how the Up/Down buttons of the Remote work in Browser Mode.

The PROFILER comes with 625 Slots (125 Performance 5 Slots each). There cannot be less. All Slots are prefilled with a default Rig. You cannot delete Slots nor can you have less Performances. And there is no need to.

If you want to change the content of a Slot, just load another Rig into it.

If you want to disable a Slot, just press soft button 4. Slot 1 cannot be disabled, only Slot 2-5 can be disabled.

The assignments of the four Effect Buttons I-IIII are specific by Rig and stored in each Rig. Assignments to the TAP, LOOPER, or TUNER buttons are global and not stored within a Rig.

You assign "Freeze" to one of the Effect Buttons by pressing the soft button "Freeze" in the menu of a delay or reverb effect in a particular module e. g. module REV. So this assignment is specific to a particular module in a particular Rig. If you assign "Freeze" globally to the TAP button, it affects all reverb and delay effects in all Rigs.

So, if you want to realize a specific "Freeze", you need to reorganize your buttons and use one of the Effect Buttons for "Freeze" and use the TAP button for something else e. g. globally switching module REV on/off.

As the manual is stating, the resistance of the cable is very critical. Even if a third party cable seems to work for a while, the Remote could be undersupplied and this could cause issues like darker screen, loss of connection,... I recommend to generally use a PoE device in combination with third party cables.

Cabling

The PROFILER and PROFILER Remote communicate with each other via an ethernet cable. The cable included in the PROFILER Remote package with its Neutrik® etherCON® cable connector carrier has been carefully selected and is perfectly suited for this purpose. If you decide to use any 3rd party cable, please make sure it meets our quality standards.

The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector).

I suggest we wait how the user experience will be with the new effect selection screen.

Based on my support experience I'm aware, that some people are exclusively using the BROWSE knob to select effects and look at the given preset names as if these would be effect types. Then they feel a gap, if the given preset name disappears and suddenly another name - the real effect type - comes up. They don't feel acquainted to these effect types as they never use the TYPE knob to open the list of effect types and never checked out the Main Manual which explains effects by type and not by preset.

I think, the new effect selection screen is more "educational" in that sense.

Happy Easter!

Just a few clarifications:

There are no "effect slots" in our nomenclature. The term "Slot" is used in Performance Mode: each Performance has five Slots. We have eight effect modules A-D and X-REV.

Presets are completely independent from Rigs. There is no link between any Rig and any preset in our data model. Presets are not stored/exported/imported as part of any Rig and vice versa. You could even delete all presets on your PROFILER and still load Rigs as today, select effect types, and dial in their settings - so basically work with the PROFILER as you do with other devices, which don't offer anything like effect presets.

Effect presets are already linked to exactly one effect type today. When you scroll through the list of presets, that effect type gets displayed in the right column and after loading a preset its associated type gets displayed in the box on the left hand side.

Presets are just a way to rationalize the data entry by storing type and all parameter settings in one independent file. You could for example store the type and settings associated with "TS808" under this name. But as soon as you load this preset TS808 and tweak the parameters within the algorithm towards a TS9, the information, that "this module is originally based on preset TS808" is completely misleading. The only item in common between that preset and your current setting is the effect type displayed on the left hand side.

The new software revision shown at NAMM won't change those principles. It "just" integrates the two lists of effect types and effect presets into one list. Already today each effect preset is associated with exactly one effect type. In the new software revision the effect presets get sorted and listed beside their associated effect type. Based on feedback we received from our beta testers and during the show I'm confident, that this goes a long way towards a better understanding and more effective use of effect types and presets.

My impression is that you are trying to redesign presets into something completely different. What you really seem to be looking for are more specific/less versatile effect types. I suggest we wait for the new effect selection screen and see how that goes. From my perspective offering versatile effect types plus presets as shortcuts to specific settings is a great combination.