Posts by Rispsira

Nope both sound perfectly in tune here (listening through high end monitors). But then again i never cared for this type of tone.. Im not into this whole "heavy mid-scooped downtuned" guitars so what do i know...

Different strokes for different folks.

Well this is gonna sound stupid but besides tagging im dreaming of a librarian so i can audition more profiles. This sounds lazy i know, but its just that im not finding the time to sort and find all the jewls that you guys make. Which is why i have been relying more on my own profiles. Id like to be able to do both. Either way i dont like to complain because i have been following the kpa since day one and wondering if it was ever going to do what it says it does and it did deliver! Sure not all my profiles arent 100% accurate (some amps seem easier to profile then others), but they are VERY close and they feel just great to play. The kpa solves so many problems for me.. Which is why the librarian to me is less of a feature request, but a tool to enjoy the unit as it already is even more.
    In the meantime though instead of focusing always in what i DONT have im appreciating the kpa lol still amazed that it actually pulled it off! Then the rest will follow im sure.

I am still learning my amps more and experimenting with mics but im also looking fwd to sharing what i have once i feel they could make some users happy!

Cheers!

Now that i think about it it should be very easy to make so the only explantion id have would be that the available space in the back was nit enough but if course thats just a guess; only they know.

Yes i was sad as well! Not gona be buying it unfortunately. There are other solutions coming from certain companies, but i would have so much more preferred to buy from kemper. They gave us the kpa, they have my trust! I would buy blindly from them. Im hoping theyll offer a stereo power amp in the futur. Until then ill be using my 2:90 though it colors the sound. In a good way for some profiles, but it isnt what i would necessarily need for others.

Hi again Mr Kemper,

I think what i was trying to say is not that the profiling itself but my settings and mic position mustve resulted in this and what i perceive as "hiss" is simply too much energy in the highs in my profile or too much "presence"

When i dont play:

-and the noise gate is on i hear no sound at all no noise and no "hiss"

-and the noise gate is off i hear noise from the high gain but no "hiss"

here is a short clip:
    i play a chord then stop so you can hear how silent the rig is. Then i scratch on the strings a few times to signal that i am about to lower the volume knob on the guitar (though it is pretty obvious im doing that haha)

http://soundcloud.com/rispsira/profile-no-processing

Here is the same thing with a low pass:

http://soundcloud.com/rispsira/profile-with-low-pass

I was trying to embed so you can toggle between the two but i think its not possible here.

Could you post a clip where you notice that?

Hi MadH,
    If i am wrong with my conclusions and this problem persists next time i profile (it was my first attempt..) i will post some clips for sure. For now i feel guilty enough for opening a thread too early before i thought it through..
    Thank you for your help!

Does the hiss go away when you turn down the volume pot of your guitar?

Well again i am truely sorry (!) to have you all scratch your heads trying to help me but i think it is simply my settings.. but to answer you anyway i havent tried that. I am away from my kpa now but i will try it when i get back to it. The tone will get darker because of the pot on my guitar (doesnt preserve the high frequencies when lowered but i like it both ways depending what im doing) unless youre simply checking to see if my pickups may be overloading the input of the kpa? im probably just guessing wrong the reason why youre asking 8|
    Thank you!

Record your amp and compare the results - if the recording (with the exact same mic and position) sounds bad too - change the mic position (away from the center of the cab) or try another (darker) mic.

If your recording sounds fine and the profile bad - spend some more time with refining - or as a last measure use a parametric eq after the stack (X position) - reduce the very high frequencies - use the mid part of the parametric eq to add some high frequencies (below the 'hiss frequency).

Thank you for the tips! I have quite a few mics i wanted to experiment with but since im new to micing a cab i kept it simple with something that we know works (an sm57) so that i may not have any excuses haha To be honest now that i am listening to the profile with a low pass i think it isnt bad at all, but i definitely need practise.. ^^

Thank you all for your replies!!
    I listened again and i am embarassed to say this but i think the problem (aside from the fact that my ears were tired the other day :S ) is simply too much presence dialed in.. it felt like hiss because i guess they are beyond the harsh zone of the high mid and treble (maybe something you would use to add air on an acoustic take? who knows) I remembered that the problem with my in ear monitors is that although they have good low end they are on the harsh side when it comes to higher frequencies. So i think that i mustve lowered the treble and tried to compensate and add back some life with presence (and mic position). Still that isnt a good thing as i dont want to make a profile that suits my IEM.. rather one that sounds good. Still the IEM get me in the zone as a good starting point. Next time however i will record the mic and listen to it in a mix as well before i profile to stay on the safe side.
    Either way i will get back to you after my next visit to the reharsal room to tell you if my conclusion was right or in case it isnt; with some clips! If i am able to get better results i will also share it; i havent this time because i needed processing in my daw to make it sound better, and i am hoping i will improve to be able to give you a good profile without the need for that.
    Really sorry for taking away from your time everyone..

Hi CK, thank you for taking the time to help!
    when i dont play there is no sound whatsoever, no noise or hiss of any kind. I have the gain on the kpa at about 50% or a bit more now; i tried increasing and decreasing to watch out for the hiss but the main thing that would change is only noise like the one we often hear with high gain amps. When i lower the gain the noise is less and as soon as i introduce the noise gate on the kpa (amazing one btw) it is completely gone.
    I should perhaps add that the hiss is not something that is very obvious; i didnt notice it at first. It is after i recorded that i noticed there was a sound like when you played an old tape on an old stereo (that sound dissapears when i dont play). So i went back to the kpa and instead of recording i just played and then i could notice it.
    Perhaps it is more a problem with how i profiled.. because i have this problem on at least both of the amps i profiled myself (didnt check the third one).
    Finally your first question: i dont know :S i profiled it in our rehearsal room, i had in ear monitors and what i could hear was some noise from high gain but i didnt notice the hiss, though i am not surprised as again - it is subtle; i didnt notice it on the kpa until i tracked (or i have bad ears haha). I wish i had recorded teh signal from the amp to compare it.
    I first wondered if it might be a problem with our electricity since it happens with more then one amp, but we did some proper grounding for that rehearsal space..
    Perhaps i am wasting your time until i go back there and track the amp to compare it with the profile and see if i have that problem..

Please forgive my very clumbsy thread title.. here is my problem

I have profiled a few of my high gain amps and am very pleased with the results. The profiles from these amps do have some noise which is normal in high gain amps and this noise is very easily solved with the KPA's noise gate. So i dont have a problem with noise that is naturally generated with high gain.

However i have been recording with the kpa and noticed that the recordings have some high frequency hiss which can be solved with a low pass filter on my daw but at the cost of the presence area which i do like on the profile. It is like the high frequencies contain sound from the amp and added hiss on top, and to substract the hiss i have to substract from the area of the guitar sound that resides in the highs as well.

I will try isolating a specific frequency to narrow cut instead of a low pass, but my question (finally! :)) is:

- Am i doing something wrong while profiling? am i missing something? I first wondered if it is just the settings on my amp or the mic position but my tone is not too bright or harsh and i do not wish to substract these frequencies; it just seems like there is some hiss on top of that..

Im analysing other factors that may be cause (maybe outside the kpa? ie cables interface etc) that but so far no conclusion.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

PS: does the kpa have filters that i can use? it seems it has parametric and graphic eqs but no filters unless i missed it (sorry if it is in the manual. I read it too long ago before i even received the kpa; i was just too excited haha)
    EDIT: i am using the latest software version