Posts by tylerhb

Why would you program drums anyway? EZDrummer and Superior Drummer feature great groove libraries filled with MIDI grooves played on edrums by real drummers. So you get the feel of the "real drummer" with the sound of your favourite library. There are so many MIDI groove libraires that can be integrated...

Whether drums are programmed or not will affect the feel, vibe and groove of a song/performance. Using a "real" drum performance is vital but has no impact whether a guitar will sit in a mix or not. The main aspect is the production and isolation of the drum sound. Why does a good album production translate perfectly into a loud live situation without any alteration of the mix and frequency balance regarding fletcher/munson while your band mix does not? It makes no sense. Simply break down all possible causes and identify everything in a live situation that is different from a studio production and try to eliminate as many possible problems as you can.

The major problems in a live situation are:

- too high stage volume bleed makes it impossible to create a decent FOH mix
    - crosstalk between instruments and microphones (especially vocal mics) make a extensive use of EQ and compressors and thus a good mix nearly impossible
    - traditional monitoring creates additional volume, bleeding and feedback while the lack of a satisfying monitor mix for the individual musician often results in a poorer performance.
    - FOH with insufficient power, wrong EQ settings and lacking possibilities of sound processing of the individual signals
    - live drums in most cases cannot be processed the same way like in a studio situation

Using KPAs and individual IEM mixes with a digital mixer onstage already solves many problems. However the drums always remain the biggest challenge. Using a transparent drum shield helps a lot but looks strange and isolates the drummer from the the rest of the world. In my band we switched to edrums 2 years ago and i say this was the best decision ever. Sadly there is no stock edrum that will play, sound and look like the way i wanted but with a lot testing and tweaking i have to say this finally is my dream setup. Except from the vocal performance there is nearly zero stage noise. Though playing loud metal stuff we are able to to perform in a living room and still get a decent FOH mix at 100db. The guitar tone is exactly the same live as it is on the recordings and it just works perfectly.

Most problems of "cutting through the mix" result from the mix itself. As soon as you optimize the sound of the drums and the bass you are 80% done with a good band sound and the guitar sound will fit in naturally.

You are missing a very important aspect. In normal operation there is huge amount of interaction between the output transformer of the tube amp and the guitar speaker which acts as a reactive load. This means that the speaker itself has a big impact on the sound of the amp. This is why companies like Suhr or Two Notes produce rather complicated reactive load boxes. They behave similar to a real speaker and help produce the same sound without a speaker attached. A simple load resistor like in your setup may work but in many cases it will sound totally different to the sound with a real cab attached. This is why profiling with the cab conncted will be the preferred method in most cases. If you want a balanced DI signal, simply get a standard DI box. I used the Behringer GI-100 regularly and it worked for me. Make sure the DI signal has a signal attenuation.

Selbst wenn du das mono/stereo Problem gelöst bekommst, brauchst du vom FOH einen Mix, auf dem die Gitarre nicht drauf ist, sonst kommt es zu üblen Phasenproblemen, wenn du das mit deinem KPA Signal zusammenmischt. Selbst wenn das FOH für jeden Musiker einen getrennten Mix machen kann bist du immer von dem FOH Mischer abhängig, wenn dein InEar Mix nicht stimmt. Auf Dauer ist das keine Lösung. Damit man IEM in der Band voll nutzen kann braucht man einen eigenen Digitalmixer auf der Bühne. Wir nutzen dafür das X32 Producer in einem Winkelrack. Das Teil hat 16 Mixbusse. Damit kann kann jeder Musiker seinen eignen Stereo Mix haben. Über Handy / Tablet kann man seinen eignen Mix selbst während des Gigs schnell nachregeln. Wirklich eine tolle Sache!!!

Das FOH bekommt dann entweder alle Signale vom X32 wieder herausgeführt oder es wird einfach die gleiche Remote Steuerung wie für die IEM Mixe genutzt, dann nur ggf. mit einem grösseren Tablet, PC o.ä.

One more question - for you guys suggesting that I just use the X32 app for "more me" and keep my Sennheiser racked with the X32, do you feel that you're missing anything with your IEM mixes by not being able to use the "space" feature? Obviously you can't control the "space" because everything coming back to your ears is the same thing you're sending to FOH. The idea of racking my Sennheiser with everyone is super tempting though.

I have the space parameter set to 4.9 on everything. Works like a charm on the FOH as well as the IEM, even on studio recordings. So i am not missing anything. Hooking up the IEM transmitter to the X32 is the way to go, you will love it.

Simply create an independant mix for every IEM user in the band. The X32 has 16 Mix buses. If you want a stereo IEM mix, simply pair two mix buses and route these buses to two outputs. You could either the aux outputs, the XLR outputs or even outputs on some expansion like the SD-8 or SD-16.

If you have a wireless router connected to your X32, you can use remote control apps on windows, android or IOS to setup your own mix to your liking. This is completely independant of the main mix on the X32. We use the same setup in our band, it´s fantantastic!!!

I recommend the Zoom G3n or G5n. The Mooer sounds not bad, but it doesn't convince me.

Listen

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I got the Boss GT 1 as well, but my personal winner is Zoom.

Since the GE-200 can load IRs, it can sound like anything you want. The stock cabs are not very good sounding. But like i said if you know to EQ Match the Mooer DI Signal to your Kemper rigs you can create IRs than sound almost identical.

We have a similar setup. Since we need a lot of inputs due to 10 channels of playbacks + 8 channels for the 2Box EDrum Module, we use a x32 Producer mounted into a rack + SD-8.

I cant´t praise the Inear Stagediver SD-3 enough. Probably the best non custom inears on the market and in many cases even better than custom made ones. They fit as good as custom made one and the sound is just amazing!!!

Looks quite interesting. The problem as with all custom InEARs: its difficult to test before buying.

I have been using the stagediver SD-3 for about an year. These were developed by comparing hundreds of custom inears to create a universal inear with the comfort of a custom one. They fit over 90% of all users just as good as a custom one. I really love it.

http://www.inear-monitoring.eu…monitoring-stagediver.htm

If you are using a digital mixer onstage for your inear mixes you could simply use a crowd mic and use a ducking effect on it to attenuate the crowd while you are playing.

Nach meiner Erfahrung sind die Lautstärken beim Gig mindestens genauso wichtig.
    Unsere P.A. (2 x 3,5 kW) kann auf Grund der kompakten Größe im kleinen Club wie auch open-air eingesetzt werden (deswegen haben wir sie ja auch angeschafft).
    Ohne Änderungen am Main-EQ klingen die Profile in beiden Fällen komplett unterschiedlich. Im Club manchmal muffig und undifferenziert, in der Halle (oder draußen) oft zu höhenreich und manchmal auch durchdringend-nervig.
    Der Main-EQ ist trotzdem ein fauler Kompromiss, weil man trotz verschiedentlich erstellter Presets für verschiedene Lautstärkeverhältnisse immer noch nachregeln muss zusammen mit den Anpassungen am Mischpult.
    Dies gilt für selbst erstellte Profile wie auch für gekaufte.

Das ist vollkommen normal und hat überhaupt nichts mit den Profilen und dem Kemper zu tun. In solchen Fälle kann ein programmierbarer digitaler EQ mit Einmesssfunktion ein große Hilfe sein. Wenn man sich die Presets für verschiedene Arten von Locations abspeichert kann man dann auch schnell mal drauf zurückgreifen wenn man keine Gelegenheit zum Einrauschen hat und eben die Presets durchtesten, welches für den Raum am besten funktioniert.