Posts by tylerhb

Everyone has already said it but... WOW these are awesome profiles.

The JVM 2 MICS 4 just kills!!! The The 860 and the JCM800 too. Someone send brotha Till some old tweeds, some blackfaces and a Hiwatt!

Thank you!

Thx Man,

i think i wouldnt be the right person to handle those vintage amps since i am more into hi gain and sparkling clean. I would really love to do more cab profiles though, but transporting that Recto 4 x 12 was not really an enjoyable experience. :wacko:

However i still plan to do profiles of a greenback cab. Anyone from northern Germany got one?

I never understood what this input impedence matching was doing.
    Anyone care to explain it in laymen's terms?

Look for my thread where i compared the DI outputs. There is a sound example of a severe impedance mismatch. The output of passive guitar pickups is a high impedance signal. If you plug your guitar into a low impedance line level input, the signal will lose a lot of the high frequencies. So basically you can use an selectable variable impedance to preshape the sound of your guitar. Expensive outboard microphone preamps often have such a feature.

Nope. I never use the lock function. The noisegate is problematic in its characteristic to produce a sound that is warbly/doubly/sitar-like. This is especially obvious when you roll back your volume pot on the guitar on a highgain patch with active noisegate. Even with low noisegate settings. It is impossible to get a good clean sound with the noisegate active this way.
    If you switch off the noisegate, you get all the magic back

Strange. I only have this behaviour if i turn up the noise gate to values over 2.0. I normally stay around 0.3 to 1.0 which gives me enough noise reduction while it has no impact on the tone when rolling back the volume when switching to single coils.

What i would really like to see is the option to define a noise gate minimum and maximum value which would change dynamically based on the amp gain setting.

It is already saved per rig

That´s right. But as soon as you use the lock function on the input section, the individueal noise gate settings are overridden. I am pretty sure that 90% of all KPA noise gate problems are due to this fact that many users are not aware of this. I already made the suggestion to the support to "decouple" the noise gate from the input lock function. Lets hope they change this.

Two things of note here.
    First is its great to see bands who can pretty much use any gear they like using the KPA to track with. And by this Im not just talking about tracking, not just scratch tracks or using the KPA for effects only.
    Secondly its amazing how quickly word of this is travelling. Nrither Accept nor Testament could have tracked entire albums in just a couple of days.
    The floodgates are opening......

I dont think that they even tracked with the KPA. As long as the producer recorded some DI Tracks, you can use the KPA afterwards to reamp. This is one of the coolest features.

I believe I imported these cabs but I cannot figure out what I need to get to them (actually to be fair, I haven't tried because I'm not in front of the KPA right now). So let's say I grabbed sheguitarplayer's AFD100a but it's to trebly for my taste. What is the process to find and test out your Tyler cabs? Just hold down the cabinet button and I can browse for your cabs because of the way they were uploaded (as seperate cabs, not connected to a full profile)? Also, can someone recommend THE DI profile to use to replace the cabinets on my profiles if I want to try that technique when going power amp + cab?

Just pick a rig that you like, no matter if it is a profile with DI or one with a real cab in it. Both can give you great results. Then just enter the cabinet section and browse through the cabs. Over the time you will surely pick your favorites. Once you have selected a cab that you like you can also use the "lock" function and then browse through the rigs. This is great fun and somtimes its just amazing how much difference this can make to some rigs.

ok, thanx! there are LOTS of cabs in the new package. is there any pattern in the numbering, ie different mics, closer to the cone/edge or something?

No, not a fixed pattern. At first, i tried to do so, but i wasnt really satisfied with the results. If you take like 7 profiles from the center of the speaker to the rim, i always ended up liking postion 2 and 3 only, while 1 was too harsh and the other were too dull for my taste. So i tried to do just variations with very small changes around the "sweet spots" and then playing with the balance of the mics, the relative distance and the resulting phasing, plus small eq shifting on the submixer. Moving the mics just a few milimeters can result in dramatic changes. So in the end its really useless to try to reflect all variables like in the name of the profiles, because even i could never replicate the exact same tone twice. Just pick a tone that you like and dont worry about the rest.

I'm about to load the updated version of the Tills cabs. I have a couple of Q's though: if I delete the old version of the cabs, what will happen to the profiles that I saved with the old cabs? I also can't find cab 004 in the new package? are the numbers the same in the new vs the old package? if so, where's number 004?

Your saved Rigs wont change since the cab part is saved within the Rig File. I tried to retain the 1960 numbers in the new files. Maybe i dumped number 4 because i found it too dull. Of course you can still keep the old files, they wont be overwritten.

downside is that alot of the highgain amps starting to sound kind of similar :huh:

This is something that really puzzled me for quite a time and i investigated this whole situation a little deeper. I wanted to know if the sound of a profile really changes dramatically if you profile an amp with a cab or if you exchange the cab with the profile of the same cab with the same miking. The lesson i pulled for myself is somewhat uncomfortable either. As you know the sound of your own cabs you will automatically tend to set different amps to make them sound similar to produce "your" sound. So if you use the same cab and mics with different amps, the sounds will be become very similar indeed. The more gain you use the more similar it gets.

Watch the amp comparison videos of Ola Englund or Lasse Lammert. Everytime i watch those vids i ask myself why those amp all sound so similar. My guess is that the close miking and the character of the cab color the tone way more than you would expect when you hear the amp "in the room".