Posts by grorig

For live use with tube power amp & cab, I run preamplifier profiles from the monitor out.The KPA does an excellent job for this,the sound is "warm" and "breathes" almost the same way the real amp does it.
    However for full profiles with the cab sim off I prefer transistor power amps. So depending the amp I have or provided as backline on stage, I use the appropriate. profile.

IME Flyrig is a great unit, does what it promises .and can deliver pretty decent core sounds to any sound system if it's tweaked and used properly.Delay and reverb are great too.It can serves as backup but as main rig too, in some cases. I use a zoom CDR for additional post effects and an AMT wah in front of it, all in a very small DIY pedalboard,that even fits in the front pocket of my guitar bag.
    Super portable and great sounding. It's worth to give it a try.

You can try PREAMP profiles.That means you can make profiles of your amp taking the signal from the SEND of the loop and play back to the RETURN (power amp in) of your amp, or any other available tube amp.If you compare the sound of the actual amp and this profile you just made, are almost identical,- maybe the real amp sounds a little "warmer"- but in the mix of the live band it's hard to notice this subtle difference. Good luck.

Here's the situation...The Kemper amp is great for recording. Gets exactly what you need for any track. What I'm finding however, is that for the MANY times in my home studio when I'm writing/noodling/jamming, I find that the sound thru a pair of excellent studio monitors that I have just doesn't give me the 'real amp' push of air and sound that you get plugging into a traditional guitar amp....so, with all the many output options on the Kemper, I'm thinking I can keep the L/R output pair I currently have hooked up to my DAW , and then use a 2nd output into some kind of amp/speaker combo or all in one.......so, does anyone have any suggestions? I hate to say this, but I find myself using my tiny Roland Micro-Cube more than the Kemper for general jamming because it gives you that traditional push of air and tone that you can only get from a guitar amp/speaker combination, as opposed to the super hi-fi sound of studio monitors, albeit a tiny sound due to the small speaker.....Anyone have any suggestions? I don't need massive volume obviously....

Another question, assuming I find a guitar amp/speaker combo that works well for the above scenario, would you have to drastically alter your patches/rigs, etc to sound 'right' with a real amp/speaker combo, since the Kemper already has the cabinet simulation settings?

If you like what you hear from the micro cube, then you can use it as monitor for the KPA, connecting the output of KPA to the AUX input to the back side of the micro cube.
    Consider that the speaker of micro cube isn't a traditional guitar speaker but a full range speaker, therefore the cab sim of KPA must be on.

I own both units more than one and half year and I use them many times, live,in studio, and at home.

My criteria to choose what device is better for me are: 1/ sound, 2/ stability, 3/ flexibility, 4/ portability, 5/ user interface-ease of use, 6/ price, 7/ support .

According to this criteria,and having the experience of both units during this time I own them, I should buy the Axe II if my primary use was live, because of its flexibility, and KPA if my primary use is recording, because of the raw amp sound and profiling my own amps and preamps.

I want to make clear that both units can deliver great sounds, and both units can be used for any case needed, but IMO there are strong points to each device.

You have mentioned that you don't play live,so IMO KPA is more suitable for what you need.

Things for each unit that bothers me, but is not a deal breaker,is for the Axe that in most firmware updates I have to retweak the presets in order to make them work for me in an average PA system, and for KPA the lack of an editor & librarian.

Whatever you choose is a great choice. Good luck

hey,

I think in order to achieve your goal, you might want to focus on profiles taken directly from the amp without a cabinet. Sounds like you're going to make your own profiles anyway, so keep this in mind:
    Depending on the power amp you'll be using, the profiles should either be taken from the fx send (meaning: without the poweramp) if you'll be using a tube power amp,
    or from a guitar DI box (meaning: including the power amp's signature) if you'll be using a solid state power amp.

If, however, you want to take full advantage of the many tones the Profiler provides, acknowledging that a big part of a amp's signature is the cabinet (the unfortunately named FRFR route) might make your life easier. ;)

Are there any short or long term plans, for an "onboard" Tube Power amp simulation just before the Cab section? (EL84,EL34,6L6,KT88.....)

May i ask, if you have disable the cab sim ?