Posts by Tritium

okay! time to say what my little project was. I made IRs ! In my studio and in one of the best anchoic chambers in this world, it has next to no reflections down to 50hz and is certified for that and even the close mics sounded different compared to the same cab and mic postition in the studio.

Bommel's plan is to resume his IR capturing, as soon as the USAF removes their friggin' KC-46 Pegasus from his studio. Bommel, you should never have leased out your studio. Lesson learned?

I'm not easily offended, I just found it rather needless, especially in light of this threads propensity to try and discredit Dave Friedman in a litany of ways that aren't germane to the topic at hand. Pointing that out doesn't make one easily offended, especially since many people try and sneak in digs disguising them as jokes that other people "take too seriously" like your sarcastic use of the word "svelte". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hello MM,

That was an example of literary device called verbal irony. It is the incongruity of the use of the word "svelte" , which provides the ironic effect. Sarcasm involves bitter, caustic language that is meant to hurt or ridicule someone or something. That definitely was not my intent, as I think Dave Friedman is the bomb. It was just a bit of cheeky observational humor -- with admittedly some underlying concerns for the man's continued state of good health.

EDIT -- Well, that took all of 3 seconds before someone got offended by what I thought was a rather harmless observation...so I deleted what was a rather cheeky post, meant good humor, and hereby substitute with the following anodyne and utterly prosaic observation:

The amazing and talented David Friedman is starting to look a bit like the amazing and talented Howard Dumble.

Please please please, a decent Mac USB editor. This is schoolboy stuff. Please, please, please... it's amateur hour without it.

Hello Jay,

Just curious, have you been following Kemper related news at all? Have you read this thread, or at least the first page?

Sorry to be cheeky, but "Amateur hour" might also be used for the case of someone asking about something that any Kemper owner/user should know, unless they have been imprisoned in a North Korean gulag. :)

In any event, here you are:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well, there is an obvious solution, here...

There is no mistaking a whizzer-cone based speaker. So, did M Britt actually see the speaker inside the Kemper Kabinet, while he was at NAMM? Or, alternatively, did he get an unambiguous explanation from a Kemper representative that they were using a non-coaxial (no tweeter) dual-cone (whizzer) speaker?

Seems to me, someone only needs to ask him.

Not me...I ain't putting the man on the spot.

Homer backs into shrubbery (smaller 1 MiB size).gif

It's also instructive that, in person, CK mostly uses the term "broadband" when talking about the Kabinet driver. That, combined with MBritt's words, doesn't leave much room for the possibility of it being the F12-X200. The K12H-200TC is also half the price and lighter.

You guys should go listen to the video I linked to hear MBritt's own words.

I did watch the video, and listened to MBritt's words, very carefully (see my above post). I also appreciate you posting the video/link, Ben.

It is also possible, although IMHO unlikely, that Michael Britt misspoke, and accidentally used the term "dual cone" when he meant coaxial. He did use the rather strange phrase that it has "no extra tweeter"...rather, than saying it has no tweeter. digbob noticed that, as well. Anyways, all a bit confusing.

However, with that said, I am pretty sure Michael knows what he is talking about, when it comes to speakers, and he is in fact meaning to describe a whizzer-cone driver...unfortunately. :(

I'm sticking to my original prediction that it's a custom version of the Celestion K12H-200TC, or maybe even the K12H-100TC.

Indeed, Ben, you may be right. However, I have to say that the statements and promotion by Kemper, in word and in print calling this a "full-range" speaker, are a bit peculiar, if this indeed a whizzer cone-based driver such as the Celestion K12H-200TC...because in no audio world that I know of would that be considered "full range". Heck, Celestion's own spec page shows frequency range as: 50-10,000Hz.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am sure CK knows what he is doing, and I am pretty confident that whatever speaker solution is used in the Kemper Kabinet will work just as he intends. But I find it a bit curious that he has a problem with the term FRFR, apparently only when it comes to the "Flat Response" part of the quasi-acronym. Seems to me, that he should equally have a problem using the "Full-Range" terminology, if this is a single-driver/voice-coil whizzer cone speaker based upon the K12H.

Note following link:

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-…binet-1x12-cab-announced/

Whenever you switch to a full range sound, for an acoustic guitar the Kemper Kone will switch to Full range Mode automatically for you. Music that is fed into the Profiler through the Aux Input will also be played back in Full range Mode.

Hello Waraba,

From what I can gather, the Kemper Kone function will only be activated when the Cab Module is disabled...and I believe that this will only be applicable and specific to the KPA's Monitor/Speaker Output. Please see video below, beginning at timestamp 03:18.

I presume you will always be using the KPA Cabinet profiles (Cab Module on) when you are recording direct, and/or playing through your studio reference monitors. Furthermore, I presume you would not be using the Monitor/Speaker Output for connection to these devices. Therefore, the Kemper Kone (imprints) will not be applicable, nor part of the signal to these devices.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Firstly, can you name one company that makes a modeling product that charges for their editor? Secondly, considering the amount of time the development team has put into development of this editor, I doubt Christoph would terminate it simply because some people expressed their desire for Windows 7 support. Lastly, Windows 7 comprises almost half of Windows users, and that translates to a lot of Kemper users at the moment.

Hello ColdFrixion,

My opening sentence was meant as hyperbole, and tongue-in-cheek.

Nevertheless, i imagine it might be frustrating to the Kemper development, design and support team to read some of these comments. I am not pointing at any specific comments/complaints/demands...I am speaking in general. It is not my attention to offend anyone.

I am a bit worried that CK reads this thread, throws his hands up in utter exasperation, and calls the whole thing off.

We are finally getting an Editor, wonderfully integrated into Rig Manager...something people have been asking for and crying for years. Now, that it is coming, for absolutely FREE...and already the whining and complaining has begun.

You're right. It Need not to Sound bad at all, but possibly less authentic .

Are you sure, that the Kemper Kabinet has been constructed according toTHIELE/Small-size Parameters?

This would explain to me, that in one Namm-videos someone lifted the Kabinet and told it wasn't that light-weighted at all. We all know, that a Thiele-Cab is pretty heavy .

Hello Hurricane,

I probably shouldn't have used such definitive/absolute language.

While I am not 100% certain that the Kemper team used Celestion's T/S specifications for the speaker in question...let's say that I can't imagine Kemper engineers not taking into account the T/S data and constraints in the final cabinet construction and design.

and as an ammendment:

also the cab-size/-construction/-material has a great Impact to the Sound. That's why I'd prefer to use the Kemper-Kabinet instead of a standard- or custom-built cab. The Speaker imprints and the DSP-programming surely had been designed with the Prototype of a Kemper Kabinet.

I am absolutely certain this is true. That is not to say that retrofitting a shipped-loose Kemper Kone speaker into an already existing guitar cabinet will sound bad...

However, the Kemper team certainly designed and tuned the Kemper Kabinet in accordance to Celestion's recommended Thiele/Small parameters, and developed the KPA "Kemper Kone" DSP algorithms based upon the as-engineered, as-built cabinet/speaker system.

Ok, I promised I’d stop posting for a while, but I downloaded the demo today and used it on a session. Verdict : TH-U is a really nice a guitar VST; the Rig Player is rubbish, at least at the present time.

Thanks for the feedback and your impressions, Sam. Very interesting read.

Ah, thanks azertyvince...I had misunderstood your specific issue.

Indeed, you are correct, and raise a good point. If you have made your own effect presets, storing them with a unique name, then when you copy / incorporate that effect preset into a Rig, the preset name does not carry over into the Rig.

So, unless you make some external notes or log, you may not remember what specific preset was used in that Rig, after a period of time has transpired.

Cheers,

John

Today, if i choose a rig, i'm not able to know what preset effect name it has.

Hello azeryvince,

I am confused with your statement / question. A "preset", by definition, is an effect that has specifically tweaked parameters. For example, the factory Reverb "presets" that are offered in Kemper's new Beta release, have been given certain individualized names -- they have to, because by definition, a preset has to have a name associated with it -- that is the only way it can be stored.

When you load up some arbitrary Rig in Rig Manager (or a Rig contained within the KPA), it will tell you what the effect type is

(e.g. Reverb --> Natural Reverb), but it will not have an effect "preset" name associated with it, for one of two obvious reasons:

A) The effect never started its life as a "preset" in the first place.

B) If the effect originally used an effect "preset" as its original basis, it probably has been subsequently tweaked and modified, as it became part of a finalized "Rig".