Posts by Tritium

The answer to your question about sweeping the frequencies to get rid of harshness is down at the ***s.

Sweet Fancy Moses!!

Thank you so much, Lokassena!!

What a fantastic, detailed write-up and explanation. This should ABSOLUTELY go up on the wiKPA site. Well done, sir. :thumbup:

Quick question on this part:

For high-gain stuff, it's common to have a few ugly, whistly-sounding frequencies in the 2-6kHz range, so one popular solution is to take an EQ band, make it really narrow and crank the boost all the way up, then sweep the frequency knob up and down while playing to see if you can find any trouble spots - trust me, you'll notice them. It's almost like microphone feedback. Once you find one, turn the level back to zero and then start turning it down a bit at a time (preferably flipping the EQ on and off to hear the difference) until you're happy.

In order to narrow the EQ band, I understand that will involve increasing the "Q" parameter. Is there a certain Q "sweet spot" level that you would recommend for this setting when using this frequency sweeping method. I assume it will be at a relatively high level, but I imagine if it is too high, it may make the window too narrow, and make it easier to miss the offensive frequency range when sweeping through the spectrum. The sensitivity and "taper" on the KPA's edit knobs may make this even more challenging. So, what Q level, on the KPA's Studio Equalizer, would you use when performing this technique?

I apologize if this is a stupid question...but once I have zeroed in on a particularly nasty frequency band, and I dial back the Gain/Level to reduce or remove it...would I be correct in leaving the "Q" parameter exactly as it is? Or do I turn it back to the original value? I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am guessing that I leave the Q parameter at the new (high) value, because if I then lower it to the original position, I presume I would start massively widening the frequency band that I have just cut, removing more and more (good) frequencies. Do I have that right? In other words, once I have cut the offensive frequencies, and am happy with the results, I leave the new, high Q value as it is, and just SAVE/Store the new Studio EQ settings for my Rig.

Thanks again for all you help, mate.

Cheers,
    John

Hello fellow Kemperites,

I have learned that, when it comes to EQs, I am completely clueless...and probably a bit dangerous. :thumbup:
    Discovering that I have no idea how to best employ EQ towards a given purpose, has been quite the humbling experience.

In my defense (somewhat), the KPA user manuals provide little guidance. The Reference Manual doesn't even explain terminology, nor list the parameters that are available in the "Studio Equalizer". The wiKPA site has a bit more information...but can often times be confusing and frustrating, especially when the FAQ dialogue(s) use terminology that doesn't even correspond to the effect's list of parameters. Again, using the "Studio Equalizer" as an example, here is the wiKPA page link:

http://www.wikpa.org/Studio_Equalizer

At the beginning of the article, the following parameters are listed:

This is all well and good...but but there is no detailed explanation as to what these parameters mean, nor what they do. Now, obviously I understand "Frequency". And I can suss out that the "Gain" parameter is the level of boost or cut (I assume) of that frequency. But what is the inter-relationship between them? In one of the dialogue boxes, it is explained that the Low Gain / Low Frequency and High Gain / High Frequency are "shelving" filters. What exactly does that mean? What do these do?

Continuing on...I understand that there are two separate parametric bands, Mid 1 and Mid 2. However, nowhere is there an explanation of what the "Q" parameter does, or how best to adjust this.

What becomes a bit frustrating, is that some of the contributors start using different terms for what I assume correspond to the parameters listed above. For example, in the Christophe Kemper dialogue box, he writes the following:

The shelving filters gain goes down to -18 dB. If you bring the lowshelf this way down, you have virtually created a lowcut or highpass filter (which is the same as you know). The only difference is that you still have the "cutout" signals sounding at -18 dB, which is very low.
    I am sure that you want to attenuate the boomy frequencies, but not totally kill them, so you will probably end up in attenuating them by less than 18 dB.
    Lowpass and Highpass filters are used for killing frequency components in the signal that are absolutely not wanted. They can be considered as Shelving filters with gain at minus infinity. If those unwanted signals are low anyway, shelving and cutting filters don't make a big difference.
    But Lowpass and Highpass filters are great for artistically modifying a signal, since they work pretty radical.

Sounds great...but what are these "shelving filters"? What is the "lowcut" and "highpass" filters? They are not designated terms in the list of tweakable parameters? Now, I am not completely dense...I presume that this terminology has something to do with the first four parameters (Low Gain / Low Frequency and High Gain / High Frequency). Am I correct? If I am, I still am unclear as to how to use them for best effect.

In Don Peterson's dialogue box, he provides some recommended settings. But then he goes on to write the following:

Also, if you want to remove the very low end, I recommend placing a EQ or Highpass Filter with Peak 0.0 (!) and Manual at around 0.5 before the amp, so that the profile doesn't have to deal with these frequencies to begin with.

How does this apply to the Studio Equalizer. I see no parameter called "Highpass Filter". I don't know what "Peak 0.0 (!)" means. And there certainly isn't a parameter called "Manual" in the Studio Equalizer.

By this point, I am pulling my hair out in frustration, while simultaneously kicking my own damn self for having never learned about Parametric EQs. :P:D

So, I am hoping anyone could shed some light on the questions and points I raise, above, specifically in regards to the Studio Equalizer Effect.

I realize this is getting long-winded, but I have now actually come to my primary reason for asking for help (although I would still appreciate answers to above).

Still with me....? Good. Here is the second part of my plea for help...

I remember watching a YouTube video a few years ago, in which someone was demonstrating one of the digital modelers (not a KPA or Axe-FX). Specifically, he was showing how to use a parametric EQ to selectively pinpoint and mitigate/suppress any harsh and undesirable frequencies. I remember that part of the explanation involved "sweeping" the frequencies in order to find the offending frequency, and then dialing it out (reducing the Gain/Level ??). I can't find this video again. But in any event, can you folks explain how I might go about doing this with the KPA's Studio Equalizer, which I understand is a parametric EQ. I have noticed some harshness and buzz on some tailing distorted notes...and they sound like they are in the higher frequencies. I don't get this issue when I connect my powered KPA to a physical/traditional guitar cabinet. The issue only comes up when I am connected through my passive FRFR monitor. I assume the traditional guitar cabinet is naturally dampening these frequencies...while the FRFR monitor is reproducing the full dynamic signal, warts and all. So, I am hoping to find and dial these "offensive" frequencies out, using the "sweeping" method with the Studio Equalizer.

I would appreciate any and all advice and instructions on how to go about this. Assume I know absolutely nothing about parametric EQs (a safe assumption, by the way).

Thanks in advance, mates!

Do not you miss? for sound of real Tube? It's my amp and yes for me perfect sound! :thumbup:<3

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stay Metal!

Hi Sinmix,

Well...tone is, as they say, "in the ear of the beholder". What may be someone's "Holy Grail" tone, may be another's "Can of Angry Bees" tone. I love me some classic Heavy Metal...but I just don't have the ear for down-tuned cookie monster type thrash/death/doom genre. Again, just my personal tastes, and I am in no way disrespecting or dismissing this style of music.

However, with that said, and being completely honest...

I can't for the life of me figure out who would be able to tell from that clip (given the uber-GAIN and EQ settings), that this was an actual tube amp, versus a solid-state metal amp that is quite psychotic and extremely pissed off. If it ever became self-aware, I imagine it would seek to exterminate the entire human race. And that would be on one of it's "good" days. :P ;) :D

Hey John thanks for the information, I do turn off the cabinet under the stack. The only thing Im not doing that sounds like your recommend is??? Im currently running 2 cables from the main outpur of the KPA to the ISP Stealth. Should I not do that and run just from the monitor out to the ISP Stealth?

Hi theway,

Yes, if you are connecting to a traditional guitar cabinet, via an external amp, you should connect your KPA using the MONITOR Output jack ==> external power amp ==> traditional guitar cabinet.

What may be happening, here, is that you may think that the CAB profile/simulation is OFF on all profiles, as you switch rigs. However, the soft button for "Cabinet", which will turn on/off the CAB simulation, works only on the current rig you have selected. In other words, if your are connected using the MAIN output, you may have correctly disabled the CAB simulation by tapping the soft button and turning the CAB sim OFF. However, the INSTANT you switch to another Rig/Profile, the CAB sim may automatically be turned back on / re-enabled...unless you specifically saved it as a "FAVORITE", without the CAB sim. That is why you should connect via the MONITOR Output jack. When you do this, you can go into the OUTPUT MENU, and select MONITOR CAB / OFF. This will GLOBALLY disable the cab simulation, so that whenever you switch rigs/profiles (patches), the CAB simulation remains disabled in the signal coming out of the MONITOR Output (and to your guitar cabinet). However, the MAIN Output signal still retains the full profile, including the CAB simulation.

There are good reasons for this set-up. For example, when using the KPA in live, performance situation (playing live, at a club), and you are using an amp and traditional guitar cabinet as your personal monitor/sound on the stage...then you would want the CAB simulations turned off.

However, the IMPORTANT feature is that the signal you send to the main mixing board and the FOH (Front-of-House / PA), utilizing the MAIN Output jacks, features the full studio profile INCLUDING the cab simulations.

Here is an excerpt from the KPA Reference Manual ver 3.0, which is pertinent to this discussion:

Hope this may be helpful...but let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
    John

You know my opinion on this subject. Nothing has changed! ;(

Stay Metal!

Just to be clear...allow me to BOLD and emphasis the key points of my observation:

I have noticed that many of the high gain STUDIO profiles on the KPA will sound similar, if you are connected to a traditional guitar cabinet, and have forgotten to turn off the CAB simulations.

Cheers,
    John

With that said, IMHO most of the paint-peeling, UBER High Gain profiles sound similar, no matter what way your are using your KPA...not unlike the way the actual reference amps sound amazingly similar, when mic'd and/or recorded. Again, just my humble opinion.

Ok I'm new to kemper. I've got Mesa rec-Jvm -5150 iii-Mesa V all incredible tube amps. I run my kemper to a ISP Stealth then to a Mesa 4x12. All of my Amps have there own footprint in tone-very different. I have never profiled these amps because I just got kemper. I did buy tonehammers and sin mix profiles . I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if the kemper is not for me but ALL of the high gain profiles are pretty much the same tone and feel. Pretty bummed out. A Jvm sounds nothing like a Mark series amp , but in kemper world mode it does

Theway,

Please do not take offense at this question...but have you fully and completely read both the Kemper "Basic Manual 3.0" as well as the much more in depth "Reference Manual 3.0"?

Notwithstanding your familiarity with the Kemper's user guides...
    Can you confirm that you have disabled the CAB profiling when you are playing normal (studio) profiles on your KPA, connected to an external power amp and traditional guitar cabinet?

Since you are playing through a traditional guitar cabinet, you will want to globally disable the Cabinet profiling (Cab simulations), by going to Output Menu, soft button above the menu parameter "Monitor Cab Off". Make sure the "check mark" in the toggle box in the menu display is empty. This will turn off the cabinet simulations on all rig / profiles, globally. Also, you should make sure you are using the physical MONITOR Output jack to connect to your external power amp ---> NOT the MAIN Output jack(s). When you disable the Cabinet simulation in the Output Menu (Monitor Cab Off)...it only disables the cabinet sims on the signal going out the MONITOR Output jack. The MAIN Output jack(s) still retains the cabinet simulations, to allow this full signal (including cab sims) to be routed to the main Mixer and Front of House PA, during live performances.

I have noticed that many of the high gain STUDIO profiles on the KPA will sound similar, if your are connected to a traditional guitar cabinet, and have forgotten to turn off the CAB simulations.

I realize you may already be familiar with this, and are already doing this...but as you are a new owner, the question still needs to be asked.

Cheers,
    John

Hello Viabcroce ..yes I am looking into monitors i've been looking at KRK Rokit 5 G2 Studio Monitors as i am on a budget.. the KPA going to break the bank lol
    and seen the TANNOY REVEAL 402's Monitors on youtube with the Kemper and they sounded really good ?? ive been looking for David Gilmour/pink floyd profiles
    on rig exchange but cant find any i've read some comments saying they are on there any ideas ??

cheers
    steven

Hi Steven,

When you are on Rig Exchange, try putting just the word "Gilmour" in the search box, and make sure all the toggle boxes are checked. Hit "Search" button, and you should get sixteen (16) rig/profiles. There are a few good ones by And44 and Burningyen.

Also, check out this Kemper YouTube Tutorial. Jump to time stamp 03:20

The rig used for this tutorial is located in the Kemper website ==> Support ==> Downloads ===>Additional Factory Rigs:
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html
    The factory rig package you will find this in is entitled "Profiler Workshop Rig Pack incl. Handout". The filename of the profile is "PW-Wall - 2014-11-07 11-21-10.kipr"

Cheers,
    John

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

hello John thank you for your response

i've not yet purchased the KPA as am looking into it yes its looks great I am a big floyd fan and love some of the tones i've seen the KPA can do
    i've just downloaded the manual and its all in there :) and yes your right i could use my Hiwatt but its bloody loud :) so was thinking of going down the monitors route ?

Steven,

It will only be as loud as the signal you send to the HiWatt's power section...which would be controlled by the KPA's master volume. The KPA's Monitor Output (Output menu) also features an independent volume control as well as a EQ.

So, you can play as quietly as you like, simply by controlling volume on the KPA.

With that said...the KPA is designed for use with FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) monitors. So, for the non-powered KPA models, I would be pretty confident in stating that the majority of owners connect their KPA to an active (powered) monitor.

Cheers,
    John

Hi Steven,

Why do you say that the KPA is not "compatible" with your HiWatt? What model HiWatt do you own? If it has an FX loop, then you can plug your KPA into the HiWatt's FX Return, and then you would be using the HiWatt's power section, bypassing it's preamp and tone stack. It would be similar to connecting your KPA to an external power amp, and then to a speaker cabinet.

So, to recap:

Guitar signal ===> KPA input ===> KPA Monitor Output jack ==> HiWatt FX Return ===> HiWatt speaker out ===> Guitar Cabinet

Cheers,
    John

So I got a hair up my keister and made another vid with the Power Station.

This time using the Tim Owens "Have Amp Will Profile" Brown Eye DI profiles. Good night Irene! Sounds so awesome in the room!

This time I used my Mammoth Custom San Dimas with JB/Lil 59 combo. Anyone with Friedman experience feel free to him in on these tones. There are a small handful of folks that have made the Kemper an amazing gear experience, Tim is definitely one of them. Tim has given a lot of his time to bring these amazing profiles at no cost. Great stuff.

Hi Jeremy,

Great demonstration, and sweet playing. Keep the vids coming. Sounds like you are really enjoying the Fryette PS, as well.

Do you recall what specific HAWP session (phase) number of Tim's series you were using, here...or were you grabbing a bunch from different HAWP sessions?You noted that these were Direct Amp profiles, so my first guess would be HAWP-phase 27 or HAWP-phase 28. Also, were playing these DA profiles through your Splawn 2x12?

Cheers,
    John

Djemass's mark ii profiles are very versatile as well. Also check out r.u.sirius's bogner shiva profiles. Edit: oh and tim owens HAWP sessions for the dirty shirley and hbe-100

I second all that, and would add a shout out to the Mk III profiles by Thumas. So many great free profiles, and so many Kemper contributors who have shared their excellent work to the community. Djemass, R.U Sirius, Thumas, are great exemplars of this community spirit...especially Tim Owens, whose HAWP sessions are friggin' legendary. I would say that my over-all rig/profile mix, currently, is almost exactly 50/50, between commercial profiles and free profiles. I have found amazing tones with commercial rig packs by TAF, TopJimi, MBritt, and Till Schneider. Equally, I have found just as amazing tones in free profiles made by Tim Ownes, Djemass, R.U. Sirius, Thumas, and a bunch of other talented and generous Kemperites. :thumbup:

Wow, lot of different answers.

The very first thing I did when I first powered up my brand new KPA Power Head, back in April, was make a backup file on my USB Flash drive.

I just looked at this kpabackup file, using 7z. There are, of course, a bunch of folders in the kpabackup archive...however, I believe the salient one is the folder labeled "Rigs". I opened this folder, and it contains exactly 296 .kipr files, which are the factory installed profile/rigs.

I believe the firmware was 3.01, out of the box. After I made the backup file, I upgraded to 3.02.

Now, I leave it up to the Kemper guys to advise if the backup file includes the totality of the "factory installed" profiles...or if the is another set of profiles that do not get copied onto the backup file. Specifically...I am unsure about the rigs that would be "imported" when you go to the System menu, and go to the page where you can select the "Import Factory Rigs". I didn't make a note of how many Rigs appeared in the "All Rigs" display, when I first powered on my Kemper. I am pretty certain that the entire population of "All Rigs" gets saved in the backup file, and appears in the sub-folder "Rigs". However, I am uncertain if the rigs that are permanently on the KPA, as part of the Firmware, and require the manual decision to "Import Factory Rigs", are also included in this backup sub-folder. If these "Factory Rigs" are not copied onto the backup file, then the total number of factory installed rigs on my factory new, pristine KPA would be = (296 + X number of rigs from the Firmware/Factory Rigs).

Perhaps this is how Paul arrives at the 462 number.

Thanks. I'll try tonight but most likely will be this weekend.

No worries, no rush. I was surprised to see/hear how well the iPhone 6 Plus performed, considering that you just wanted to shoot a quick and dirty sample of the KPA with Fryette PS. I still am amazed, whenever I think about it, just how friggin' advanced technology has come in just the last 15 years. Heck, it was only 15 years ago that commercially available mobile phones with built-in camera were introduced to the market (and only in Japan). It was only 11 years ago that the camera phone market took off...and a whopping 1.3 MegaPixel camera was available on a mobile phone. The first iPhone only hit the market EIGHT (8) years ago!!! My God, only 8 years ago. Time has become so compressed in this high tech age. We are only 14 years into the 21st century, and to think that these things didn't even exist, commercially, in the 20th century.

[Blocked Image: http://www.quickmeme.com/img/24/247649ecd908fce2e6cb66b5cde3e84702faaf9afa5067a7a7415cad5dac963a.jpg]

Made a vid this morning using my iPhone 6+ a friend from another forums Fryette Power Station pushing the Kemper and my Splaw 2x12.Holy fuck balls does it feel like the actual amp!Used both merged and studio profiles and both sound tits! Guitar wa the PRS SC245 with 57/08 humbuckers. This Fryette really adds that low end chunk. The little dip switches add the slightest bit of sweetness in the room but they are not super drastic changes. Just tweaks the feelz a little bit.I need to do an unbiased vid showing both power amps side-by-side. Ultimately the Stealth is still pretty sweet but that'll be the real test on whether or not one is better for my needs than the other.

Great stuff, JerEvil. Looking forward to the comparison video with the ISP Stealth.

I'm terrible with EQ...that's something I really need to learn

But what I often do in these situations is go into the Cabinet menu and raise the Low Shift parameter. Conversely I'll lower the High Shift parameter to help tame spiky treble.

Im not certain but I think those parameters control 'where' the bass and treble frequencies are most pronounced.

Try putting the studio EQ after the stack first, and then boost one of the bands by a healthy amount and sweep that back and forth through the frequencies till you find what you don't like (the flubbiness is accentuated). Then pull that frequency down a bit.

Try using the same settings before the stack and after the stack, and go with the placement that gives the best effect.

Thanks Calaban and Michael,

I very much appreciation the suggestions, and will experiment with both methods.

Cheers,
    John

Hello fellow Kemperites,

I have a couple of profile/rigs that sound very flubby, boomy and strangely distorted on the low E string. I realize I could switch Cabinet profiles and that certainly can make a huge difference in tightening up the low frequency response. However, everything else considered, I really like how everything else is sounding on these couple of rigs.

So, I was hoping for some guidance and advice in adding some type of EQ to cut or reduce the flub and boom on the low end. What is the best way to go about this? I am not sure where this should be placed...that is, before the stack (in a Stomp slot) or after the stack. Also, I would appreciate any recommendations as to which parameters to tweak in whatever EQ effect might yield best results.

I realize this is a very general question, and I have provided limited information. However, the Reference Manual doesn't really get into details as to how to set-up such a solution. I did look into the WAH-Low Pass effect...but I am not clear as to what parameter does what, and how.

Thanks in advance.

John

I stumbled across this thread whilst researching the Kemper a while back, Tritium, and found it to be an immensely frustrating read!

Not sure what else there is to say. Seemed grossly unfair.

Indeed, my thoughts exactly.

My username is "Deuterium" on TGP. IMHO, it was my quite reasonable direct questioning of Cliff Chase's (Fractal Audio Systems) unreasonable claims against TopJimi's profiles, and his accusation that TopJimi resorts to external "studio tricks" to create his amazing profile(s)...which caused the eventual fireworks. Once the the FAS Defense League came on-board, the thread turned nasty.

I thought it was rather unprofessional for Cliff Chase to make such unfounded accusations in the first place...but at least he maintained a cordial discourse. Not true for a bunch of other yahoos. For me, the final straw was when a popular TGP "personality", self-anointed sound & audio messiah, and all around self-righteous, officious and sanctimonious blow-hard...felt the need to interject himself in the discussion, and begin making personal, obnoxious and condescending replies to my arguments. I have seen this man's conduct before, and he does no favors for Atomic Amps, due to his affiliation. Again, just my personal opinion.