Posts by Tritium

Hi Tim,

Quick question. Pleas see the text from your HAWP-27 notes, that I bolded (above). When I tried importing the files to Rig Manager, it would not take any of the CAB files that are (I think) supposed to be MERGED profiles...in other words, H27 Cab-01 through Cab-15.

So, I am thinking that perhaps these particular .kipr files are not MERGED profiles, but rather Cab Presets...due to the fact that Rig Manager will not recognize them. Can you confirm if this is the case? Also, in the event that they are Cab Presets, does that mean they do not contain the amp profile??

Just when I thought I had a clear handle on all this Direct & Merged vs Studio business...some new question (such as this) seems to pop up.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the kemper through that combo amps speaker? :)

Hi Sugarlou,

Further to Nakedzen's comment...

I remember you had mentioned you had sent out your RedPlate combo for repair. Is it back, yet? If so, please try what Nakedzen recommended, and hook your KPA up by connecting it to your RedPlates FX Return. Just remember to turn off the Cabinet section (obviously).

It could be that your issue is more with the FRFR monitors, rather than the KPA itself.

Perhaps you really have a strong tonal preference for the sound from your Redplate's combo, and it's open-back 1x12 character. I believe the RedplateTweedy Drive combo comes stock with a Celestion Classic Lead 80 speaker.

One other note, in regards to your frustration with the KPA ==> FRFR monitor. I haven't actually made a census, but it seems to me that the majority of Factory Rigs on the KPA are based on 4x12 closed back cabinets (at least, that is my impression). If you have the latest Firmware, you should have three (3) 1x12 Cabinet PRESETS that are derived from the Merged Profiles Pack. So, if you get a chance, try the following:

a) Hook up your KPA to your CLR, and pull up one of your favorite rigs...perhaps one that is similar to your RedPlate Tweedy
    b) Hold down the "Cab" button for a second to pull up the menu
    c) Turn the BROWSE knob by one click. Two menus will appear on the screen, below the soft buttons. You can choose to browse cabinets from "Rigs" or from "Presets". Select "Presets"
    d) Scroll to and select either of the following Cab Presets, and demo them:

Fan Lux 58 1-12
    GT 75 1-12
    Robotz Gainy 1-12

I think you might enjoy the Robotz Gainy 1-12 Cab Preset

Bear in mind, I realize this suggestion has no bearing on the other issue you have, regarding the tone of the KPA through your headphones, and your frustration in not being able to recreate the same sonic "sound-scape" through either your Bogner guitar cab, or your FRFR CLR.

In any event, if you try the above experiment, give us your feedback.

Good Luck and cheers,
    John

XiTone 1x12 Passive Wedge, here.

I prefer it to my friends Yamaha DXR10...although, the Yammy is an excellent alternative. I had stated in another thread, that the reason I went with the XiTone is because, even though it is a linear, Full-Range system, it leans more towards the Guitar Cab, "amp-in-the-room" feeling and sound, versus the more sterile (IMHO) Reference Monitor type sound. Again, that is just my personal preference and how my ears perceive the character of the sound from the XiTone compared to a two-way (separately mounted mid-range driver and tweeter) monitor such as the DXR10, or similar monitors by QSC, EV, Mackie, Alto, JBL, etc.

I understand the CLR is a fine product...but I just couldn't give that company my money. Not because of the owner, but due to another "personality" directly associated with the product. And that is all I am going to say on that topic.

I have velcro shoes

LOL. Well played, nEVH5150! 8)

Just as an alternative suggestion/recommendation...you might want to check out XiTone cabs. I am very happy with my new XiTone 1x12 passive wedge.

This is especially true if you prefer a linear, full-range speaker solution that leans more towards a traditional guitar cab sound, versus leaning more towards a "reference" monitor type of experience. This is exactly what appealed to me about the XiTone, when I was researching FRFR monitor solutions, and I can testify that it delivers on this experience. Also, IMHO, it represents fantastic "bang for the buck", considering it is $499 USD for the passive version, or $899 USD for the active version, which is powered by a Matrix Amplification GM50 Amplifier Module.

I believe Mick Farlowe (XiTone) will ship to EU countries...but you would need to contact him to enquire about shipping arrangements and cost.

There are a bunch of XiTone owners, both here on the Kemper User Forum, as well as on The Gear Page. Do a GOOGLE search if you are interested in reading more owner impressions, experience and reviews.

With that said, there other systems recommended in this thread (e.g., Yamaha DXR, Atomic CLR, QSC) are all excellent options.

Cheers,
    John

Same here. Just purchased and downloaded the CabLab. I can't wait to try them out through my brand new XiTone 1x12 passive Wedge. I will drop back in later tonight to provide a short review.

Okay...finally got a chance to spend some quality time with my KPA Power Rack and the new Till's CabLab.
    In a word (okay, three words)...friggin' amazing sauce!

There is just so many fantastic Cab tones to be had, here. I played through all 58 permutations, and I am having a very hard time selecting only 2 or 3 favorites. I think it will end up being a Top Five or Top 10 down-select. While the separable Cabinet profiles are the main focus, here...it should be noted that the profile(s) of the Marshall JVM410H, from the Merged Profile rigs, features some of the best modern Marshall tones available (IMHO). These Merged profiles sound absolutely stunning through my XiTone passive 1x12 Wedge.

It is very evident that Till Schneider put a massive amount of time (and love) into this CabLab Pack.
    Highly recommended for any and all Kemper Users. For those KPA users who plan on taking advantage of the Direct Amp profiles (which are easily separated from the Merged Profiles), in order to drive a traditional guitar cabinet...all I can say is you are in for a treat. :thumbup:

Matt, I hear you. The amount of fantastic tones out their, in the form of KPA profiles, is mind-boggling and almost scary. It is like going to a restaurant that has a gazillion different entrees on the menu, and most of them appeal to you. Sometimes having too many choices can be a distraction.

I am coming up on my first month with my Power Rack. I spent the first 2 weeks getting to know the unit, and I deliberately limited myself to 5 basic rigs, which I tweaked and made into Favorites. I believe three of them started as Factory Rigs (included in the Firmware) and 2 came from the Rig Exchange. In any event, I am glad I decided to force myself to hold off on purchasing any Commercial Profiles until I spent at least 15 days working with the KPA, and getting to know and learn everything I could.

It was only this past week that I took the plunge and purchased 4 Commercial Rig Packs. I decided to spread the love, and purchased one each from:

TAF (The Amp Factory) -- Hiwatt DR103 (Gilmour) rig pack

Michael Britt -- Kemper Rig Pack #3

TopJimi -- Marshall Pack

Till Schleicher (TillS) -- Till´s Cablab

Now, I am well and truly f*#@ked :P
    I have approx. 400 individual profiles that I need to work through and audition.

I have made a quick calculation. If I don't sleep, and take only the minimum necessary breaks for meals and bathroom trips...I should complete the auditioning and down-selecting process before the Earth completes one full orbit.

Oh sorry, I confused the DBR with the DSR.
    DBR is the entry level. IIRC one user here compared DBR and DXR and found the DXR superior.

Indeed, I agree. The Yammy DXR10 and DXR12 have gotten a LOT of praise both here, on the KPA forum, as well as other gear forums. You can't go wrong with Yamaha quality and engineering, IMHO. It is a great time to be a KPA owner, because there exists many excellent solutions, available on the market, for FRFR-type monitors. I am new to the Kemper...but I imagine choices were somewhat more limited, back in 2011.

Cheers,
    John

The DBR series is the top of the line.
    So it is supposed to be even better than the DXR series.
    But the DBR cabs are also heavier than the DXR ones.

Hi Ingolf,

I believe the DSR series are the premium, "top of the line" series in that particular Yamaha family of active speakers. In other words, the following relationship between series in terms of features & price: DBR < DXR < DSR.

DBR < DXR < DSR

Cheers,
    John

Hi WS,

For certain, you must NOT use the Behringer Ultra-DI model DI-120 with your H&K Tube Amplifier. That particular DI model is not mean't for use with tube amplifiers, and it does not have a pass through connection so that you ensure your H&K Tube 50 amp is connected to a speaker load.

You would want to use something like Behringer's ULTRA-DI model DI600P, which is a passive DI box that is suitable for using with your H&K Tube 50 head. Don't forget that you must connect the speaker pass through/out of the DI box to an appropriate speaker cabinet, or you will damage your amplifier.

You may have missed this sticky thread, which has Kemper "approved" DI boxes for Direct Profiling:

http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/19540

I am NOT SURE is that H&K Red Box is suitable, as it appears you cannot disable the built-in speaker cabinet emulation. You definitely do not want any speaker cab emulation/simulation affecting the signal from the DI box, when Profiling an amplifier. Again, read the thread in the link, above.

I can't speak for the ART TPSII Preamp...but something tells me that this device would not be an appropriate DI box suitable for making Direct Amp profiles of a 50 Watt tube amplifier.

Cheers,
    John

Hello nEVH5150,

Just to confirm, your intend on connecting your powered KPA Power Rack a traditional guitar cabinet (or a non-powered, Passive FRFR), using the Power Rack's Speaker Output. Then, you plan on also using the KPA's Monitor Out to send to a FRFR type monitor. So, yes, you of course need to externally amplify the Line signal from the KPA's Monitor Output. As you have already noted, this can be done via a separate power amplifier, which you would then connect to a passive FRFR. Or, you can connect the Monitor Output directly to a self-powered Active FRFR.

The active Yamaha DXR and DSR series are an excellent option. I personally decided to go with a XiTone 1x12 Passive Wedge, which I am obviously connecting to my Power Rack's Speaker Out. However, XiTone also offers an active Wedge, that would be suitable for connecting with your KPA's Monitor Out.

I personally prefer the XiTone as an FRFR solution, due to it's coaxial speaker design. I think it sounds and "feels" more like a traditional guitar cabinet, versus your typical PA style monitor (like the Yammies, or QSC, Mackie, EV, JBL, etc.), which has a separately mounted driver and tweeter. There is no localization issues of the high frequencies with the XiTone, as all the sound is coming from a point source.

And maybe that's why the most direct amp profiles sound the same throught the same guitar cab! That's the issue is talked about at the other thread Mr. Kemper, the difference between the real amps in the same guitar cab is more audible, than the direct amp profiles of these amps in the same guitar cab!

Well, with samples or not, we are a lot saying the same, so we are not crazy and hear strange sounds in our heads...so maybe we don't provide evidence that something is wrong but you also don't provide evidence that everything is right! But do not underestimate all of us that can hear the same thing, we are the ones that want the kemper to be as perfect as it can get, it will be for your benefit, too! Knowing the weaknesses is strenght!

Hello Metalmike,

No offense, mate, but do you realize how unreasonable that sounds? If any KPA user is experiencing an unusual, unexpected anomaly and/or possible bug...the onus should be on them to provide evidence and specific example(s). That is to say, sound clips made by themselves, from their own KPA device, demonstrating the exact problem. At the very least, they should also open a Service/Support Ticket.

Now I recognize that this particular thread is a discussion of the issue raised by the OP. Some members, here in this thread, have reported experiencing the same issue. However, It is completely unreasonable to ask Christoph to prove a negative, which in this case would be the opposite. In other words, asking him to prove everything is working fine. Furthermore, he doesn't have access to your KPA profiler and your unique reference amp(s) and rig set-up.

Notice I am not saying one way or another if the discussed issue exists. It certainly could be a possibility. I personally haven't experienced it.

Cheers,
    John

I for one don't feel the need to prove anything on this issue. The kemper is a product and it competes with a few other high end modelers that cost about the same amount of money. The folks at kemper are the ones that can either prove or disprove what is being talked about in this thread. This is their product. I would think they would be interested in this. This thing issupposed to model amps and reproduce the sound as close as possible.I'm not even sure what the merge feature is supposed to do anymore. I thought it was simple. You have a DI profile and you want to add a cabinet to it, so you find one you like and merge it to the DI profile? Thats what I thought but I'm not sure now. Its going to be next to impossible for any of us to record a convincing comparison because micing will always be an issue.It seems to me that it is much easier to get a "good" profile now. One that sounds good, but the profiles don't seem to sound as distinctive or as close to the original amp. Before getting a "good" profile took more effort, you had to have your mic's in a good spot, but when you got a good one, to me they sounded VERY close to the amp being profiled.

Hi crhfish,I wrote up a brief explanation of the Direct -vs - Studio -vs- Merged Profile process, and it's features as well as pitfalls -- as I understand it. This was posted in a different thread/topic, but I thought I would copy and paste it, here (see below). This information may be already be known by you. If not, maybe it will be helpful.Also, bear in mind the following: The below information should be read and understood exclusively in terms of, and from the perspective of having your KPA operating with the latest Firmware 3.02.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------

Serves me right for staying up late, and surfing the Kemper User Forum. I stumble along some real gems, like this thread here that I have just resurrected.

Whatever came of this?

Well, that was a decidedly rhetorical question. It is quite obvious that nothing ever did come of this, and Radley/Hadley never followed up with the promised soundclips for comparison and analysis...unless he started up an entirely different thread.

In any event, Radley may have gone back to his beloved modelers. When I checked his profile, I noted the following:

Most Recent Post: Apr 28th 2013
    Last Activity: Oct 26th 2014

I think what Sinmix is saying is that having all that choice isnt necessarily a good thing. Now we have Merged profiles with properly separated cabs, tinkering becomes much more inviting, whereas Sinmix is obviously of the school that wants to get a good sound appropriate for the job at hand and just get on using it! I kind of feel the same; I don't want to be messing about switching cabs and stuff if what works, works. On the other hand, the original goal of the Merged profiles (having your Direct profile through your guitar cab on stage while sending the Studio profile to FOH) is a different kettle of fish.

Hi Sambrox,

I hope Sinmix doesn't take my post the wrong way. I do understand what he is trying to say. I just wanted to politely alert him to the fact that, how he is saying it, may be coming across as a bit unprofessional...especially given the fact that he is a vendor of Commercial Kemper Profiles.

However, with that said, I guess I still am a bit confused as to what the crux of the problem is, here. Yes, the Direct and Merged Profiles add more options (and enormous flexibility). However, one just has to exercise self-discipline. In other words, why go chasing down that rabbit hole, if it isn't for you? Another way to put it -- don't take that Blue Pill. :P

I just don't understand how it can be a source of complaint, when it can easily be avoided by concentrating on normal Studio Profiles, or alternatively, focusing just on Direct Profiles.

Anyways, it's all good. I absolutely love many of Sinmix's profiles and recorded samples.

Cheers, all.