Posts by Tritium

I've read those comments about the Merged profiles but I haven't personally heard it. Has anyone ever posted a recording showing the difference? I did a test recording back when the test firmware was released and I didn't hear much difference. Perhaps something has changed since 3.x was released???

Hi Tim,

Please see my post above, for my conjecture / hypothesis as to why some users are having issues when working with "Merged" profiles. I would be interested in your feedback, and whether you think the pitfalls I listed might explain some of these reports. Of course, I reserve the right to be completely and totally wrong. :D

And if your are looking for some very good marhall di profiles for free, see choptones give away. I have registered on his website and downloaded the free Marshall pack with di and studio profiles. They sound very good.

Excellent advice, Eltzejupp. I have done the same, but I just haven't had time to audition them, yet. They are sitting in my computer. However, I am very much looking forward to taking them for a spin, this weekend.

Hey john, thanks for the info. I definitely understand the concept, but i voiced my concerns about "what I've heard " here on the forum, and merged profiles not maybe being as good. I personally don't know yet as i have not ran a cab yet ( still in the mail). I also worried about possibly loving the sound coming out of my cab, but maybe not the sound the FOH is getting. There is a few profiles I know where I'll run into that m. But again, this is just in theory, and I will see for sure once I get my cab here and see...

Okay, very cool, VESmedic. Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure that you understood the Direct vs Studio and the new Merged Profiling methods. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this matter. As far as the anecdotal accounts of the "Merged" profiles not being "as good" as the corresponding studio profiles...sure, it may be a real phenomena in some cases. However, I am gonna take a wild guess here, and predict that a lot of these anecdotal accounts are because the user did not have a good understanding of the concept, and misapplied the Merged profiles.

This can happen in any number of ways...and to list just a few of the easy pitfalls:

a) They are taking the cabinet from an already Merged profile, and Merging it a second time with a different Direct Amp profile. This will definitely mess up the tone.

b) They are taking the cabinet from a regular Studio profile (not a true Merged profile), and Merging it with a Direct Amp profile. Again, this will not yield ideal results.

c) Scenario "b" may be made even worse, if someone is grabbing a cabinet from an older studio profile (pre ver 2.8 Firmware) that is on the Rig Exchange.

Come to think about it, the only way to ensure that you are going to get decent results, you need to be certain you are working with a Cab from a true, Merged Profile (such as the 49 Merged Profiles that come with the latest Firmware), by copying the Cab, and pasting it (NOT MERGING IT) with a true Direct profile that has been made, ideally with Firmware 3.0 or higher.

I have a feeling that there is a lot of well meaning but unintentional misapplication/abuse going on (i.e. scenarios a, b & c), which is resulting in the perception that the Direct portion of "Merged" profiles are not sounding as good as the corresponding Studio Profile.

Anyways, just a theory.

Cheers,
    John

Thanks Tim... Ahh, got it DA profiles. Thanks for the info. I like the idea of the merged profiles too, but so far the people's ears I trust are saying they aren't as good as the regular studio profiles: on which end ( direct to PA or KPA to power amp) the result isn't as good, I'm not exactly sure what the consensus is. this is why I was asking about DA profiles first, and then I figured people would chime in about merged profiles as well

Hi VESmedic,

I am not sure if there might be some confusion with regards to "Direct Profiles" and "Merged Profiles". "Direct Profiles" I think is pretty self explanatory, and you already have the right idea on how to use them. However, what may not be understood, is that a proper "Merged Profile" contains a perfect and accurate copy of the "Direct Profile". It simply has been "Merged" with the "Studio Profile" of the exact same amp (this time with the Cab mic'd and the microphone XLR sent back to the Return Input on the KPA. You should read the Kemper Profiling Guide, available here: http://www.kemper-amps.com/pag…mplifier___Downloads.html
    Just click on the "User Manuals" button, and look for "Profiling Guide 3.0" to download.

So, just to be clear, if you grab one of the new Merged Profiles that are available as part of the latest Firmware (Factory Merged Profile Pack)...you can simply disable the "Cab", and you are left with a pure, accurate Direct Profile, which you can send to your traditional guitar cabinet. The purpose of the "Merged" Profile (as possible with the new 3.0 and higher Firmware), is that it allows people such as yourself, to take just the Direct amp profile (no cab), and send it to your traditional guitar cab, while the full Studio Profile (Amp + Cab) is sent to the Front-of-House, via the KPA's Main Outs. Best of both worlds.

Also, the Kemper's CabDriver Algorithm does NOT come into play, because on a properly Merged Profile, the KPA is able to completely and authentically separate the Direct Profile from the Studio Profile (containing the Cabinet), without using an approximation algorithm (i.e., CabDriver).

Hope this helps clear through the mud.

Cheers,
    John

Hi there, I've just bought a Kemper Profiling Rack and I'm pretty new to it and the forum. I was just wondering if you had any helpful tips to get the most out of it for a recording setup. I've got some pretty nice profiles from the rig exchange and want to get into recording a bit more.

I've got the Kemper running into a Focusrite Scarlett2i2 to LogicProX as midi tracks.

Any tips and tricks I'd really appreciate it :)

Hang on...are you telling us that you didn't prepare yourself by spending a couple of weeks reading the Basic, Reference, and Profiling Manuals (at least 3-4 times each, cover to cover), and trawled through the wiKPA site reading and following all the hyperlinks??

I mean, I did...but then again when someone asks me what time it is, I explain how to build a strontium lattice Atomic Clock. :P

I am teasing, of course. As Meambobbo has already mentioned, definitely head over to the wiKPA site and prepare to spend some time reading and learning...it is an excellent KPA resource. Also, Meambobbo's "getting started" tutorials are a fantastic place to get your feet wet, before diving into the KPA pool's deep end.

Here is a direct link to the wiKPA site. I am linking you to the "Site Map", which is the best place from which to start navigating:
    http://www.wikpa.org/Site_Map

Meambobbo's "getting started" sections are located here:http://www.wikpa.org/MeAmBobbo%27s_Quick_Start_Guide

Here is another section on the wiKPA site that you should check out:http://www.wikpa.org/Tutorials

However, before you do any of the above, you may first want to check out this excellent series of YouTube Kemper Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playli…ydORdd_jGuOuXNBN5sGJuZynl

Welcome aboard.

Cheers,
    John

to put it mildly - Fuck Merged Profiles! :thumbup: IMO a waste of time to play, Maybe this IR nooo oh maybe this, o fuck this sound awesome but lets try this etc... Good profile > lets start play record music!
    what a lot of people love in the Kemper, I hate! this 1000000 "better" combinations.

Stay Metal!

Sinmix, I have to imagine something is being lost in translation, here. I am sure you didn't mean what you are writing, or, possibly, you don't realize how it is coming across. I am not going to write this out, due to the tone and the language. However, imagine, if you will, someone coming on here, and using your above quote, but replacing the words:

"**** Merged Profiles. IMO a waste of time to play..."
    with:

"**** Sinmix Commercial Profiles. IMO a waste of time to play..."

I am not trying to be disrespectful, here. I just think your opinion on the value of the new Direct Profiling process, and the ability to Merge the Direct profile with the corresponding Studio profile of the exact same reference amp + reference cab, with no changes to amp settings...may be coming across in a way I don't think you really intend.

I tried giving my Kemper some water before bed and now it doesn't turn on! Can anyone help?

Holy Crap. You forgot the three important rules for responsible ownership of your KPA.

1) Keep it out of the light, it hates bright light, especially sunlight.

2) Don't give it any water, not even to drink (see rule #3).

3) But the most important rule, the rule you can never forget, no matter how much it cries, no matter how much it begs, never feed it after midnight.

:P:D

@ Tritium: I have the impression that there is some wrong thinking behind your idea (no offense, just trying to make things clear). Besides volume parameters all the other parameters in the different sections of the KPA have little or nothing to do with the output volume of a rig. Also there is no neutral value for the definition parameter. What I'm trying to say is: Your thinking is right regarding tone, but not regarding rig volume. :)

Many people use Cabinet Volume to balance the output of Rigs - I think that is the most likely amp/cab parameter to be changed by a user.

Thanks for the replies, mates.

Paul, I will definitely check the subject profiles for an author adjustment to Cab volume.

Kempermaniac, yes, it isn't just volume, there is definitely a major difference in tone between a few of these profiles. The "bad" ones sound like there is the proverbial blanket over the speaker, and the tone is very muddy and poorly defined. I am probably putting to much thought into this. The most likely answer is that some of these "bad" ones are simply an example of poor profiling by the original author.

I should have mentioned, none of these Marshall Super Lead profiles that I am checking and comparing are commercial profiles. They all came from Rig Exchange, so a wide spectrum of quality shouldn't be a complete surprise.

In any event, I do appreciate both of your replies and feedback.

Cheers,
    John

Tritium, I would be interested in having your impressions of the XiTone. Maybe a review thread? :)

Cheers guys

Will do, bigb6611.

EDIT -- I just checked Fed Ex tracking. The XiTone Wedge should be delivered tomorrow (Friday). I have a good friend coming over tomorrow, from Boston, for a jam session...so I am not sure I will have time to set-up the XiTone. I want to show-off the KPA Power Rack to my buddy, and I have dialed in some provisional favorites, that I tweaked and saved while playing my KPA (with power amp switched off) through a Tech 21 Power Engine. In fact, I probably will hold-off on hooking up the XiTone, until this weekend, where I will have time and solitude to begin the process of breaking it in as well as tailoring and tweaking favorite rigs for this FRFR passive wedge. I will start a separate, new thread to offer my "first impressions / review" on the XiTone. So, stay tuned my friends.

This list includes all Factory Rigs and information abour amplifiers, cabinets, and microphones used during their profiling. All product names and company names included in this list are trademarks of each respective holders. Kemper GmbH is not associated or affiliated therewith. These product names are solely used for purpose of identifying the specific products, which have been used during profiling.

http://www.kemper-amps.com/api/download/dlid/589

Hello Burkhard,

I happened to be cross-checking the "Factory Rig Amp-Cab-Mic Reference List 2015-02_26" (.PDF document linked in your post), with the Factory Rig contents of the latest Firmware (3.02) release. After downloading the firmware, and updating my brand new KPA Power Rack, I could not find this profile included in the specified Factory Included profile by TAF, entitled "TAF - Mars Eightyseven Cranked", which is supposed to be a profile of a Marshall model 1987X Lead JMP 50. This specific profile is also listed in the "Factory Rig Inclusion List 2015-02-05" .PDF document.

Is this an oversight, or an error? Was this perhaps a profile that was included in an earlier Firmware releases, but subsequently deleted, and is not present in the contents of the latest Firmware?

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this issue.

Cheers,
    John

EDIT -- 05/04/2015
    Woops, never mind.
    I must of had one to many pints when I posted this silly question. Please disregard. I was reading the "Factory Rig Reference List" completely the wrong way.

I am really fighting this hard. I could get both. The attenuator won't ever be a BAD thing to have. The size is nice too. Can pretty well hide behind my Kemper on the Splawn cab. I like the functionality of the LXII though. I am an impulse buyer so like I said, I will probably end up with both! LOL!

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, mate. I am the same way.

After I ordered my KPA Power Rack, I immediately placed an order for a XiTone 1x12 Passive Wedge. It is not like I really needed it, given all the guitar cabs I own. However, I figure it will give me a lot of flexibility to experiment with the Power Rack and a FRFR set-up. I actually am holding off on making a bunch of tweaked, Favorite profiles, as I want to have the XiTone on hand. That way, I will make one set, tailored specifically for the XiTone's attributes, and another set, tailored for using one of my traditional guitar cabinets (which may simply be Direct profiles).

I just got my Fed Ex tracking number from Mick at XiTone...so it should be here shortly. :thumbup:

I love my Stealth but I still want tube power. I am very anxious for Fryette to release the LXII...

Hi JerEvil,

Did you decide to hold off on pulling the trigger on the Fryette Power Station, in favor of the upcoming (hopefully soon) LXII?

Cheers,
    John

Sorry for the late response. Yes, we used the same setup we use for making our Marshall profiles, but with a low level tap taken off the signal and fed back as a DI. Using the DI profiles with a clean power amp and speakers should sound just like our regular profiles. Of course the tone using DI profiles will vary slightly due to differences in your speaker cab versus ours.

-Jimi

Thanks for your reply and feedback, Jimi. :thumbup:

By the way, just a heads up...you might want to pop into The Gear Page and the Digital Modeling sub-forum. I would have you read the recently Locked thread which is entitled "Can the Axe-FX rival this Kemper tone?"

Here is a direct link:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1568663

The only reason I bring the subject up, is that a rather spurious claim was made by the owner/designer of a peer-class digital modeler that competes in the same market/consumer space as the Kemper Profiling Amp. His claim was that the TopJimi profile in question ('68 Marshall Super Lead Plexi) used "studio tricks" in order to obtain the awesome tone.

I didn't start the thread, however I read this rather provocative claim, and I proceeded to post and directly question the gentleman. I explained that you had explicitly noted, both on your website as well as the YouTube video clip, that no external FX or EQs were employed in the profiling process and subsequent recording. Further, in the course of the thread, I made the point that it is general, accepted policy and standard within the Commercial KPA Profile vendors, that details of the Profiling process are disclosed...especially if external effects are employed.

I must admit, I was a bit mystified that the designer of competitive digital amp felt the need to inject himself into that particular thread, and make such a bold and provacative claim.

My very respectful, and cordial posts on this matter seemed to be raise the hackles of certain personalities. In any event, the thread was eventually locked by the Administrator/Moderator.

I hope you can get the chance to read through the subject thread. Should the spirit move you...you might wish to make a new thread in the TGP Digital Modeling sub-forum to fully respond and debunk this rather unprofessional claim, made against you directly...and by extension/implication, any reputable Commercial KPA Profile vendors.

Again, just a friendly head's up.

I hope that I am not violating any Kemper User Forum policies in bringing attention to this matter...as this is not my attention. If I have, I would please ask the Kemper GmbH Moderators to advise me, and delete this post.

The Reference manual covers the performance mode with its own chapter.
    Which info are you missing there?

Woops. Lol, I have read the 3.0 updated versions of the Basic, Reference and Addendum manuals, probably cover to cover a dozen times. I just assumed Stringtheorist and hal2000 were speaking to the latest manuals. I haven't used the Performance Mode, so I kind of skimmed over any part of the manuals that discussed it. I should have double-checked the manuals before I posted, instead of GOOGLing external resources/info. 8|<X :D

B) I know what you mean, but does this option really make sense if it would exist? I mean each amp/sound needs its own amp settings. Or do you have a special idea about that which I can't see atm?

In good profiles the amp section is set to find the sweet spot, changing that to the settings of another amp will probably not give you a good idea of how good the new amp can sound. A Fender amp for example with gain may do well with a bit of compression but adding that same compression to a Mesa Boogie would be overkill imo, It's early and the coffee is just kicking in so it's more likely I have no idea what you're talking about lol.

Hi Kempermaniac and Booyah,

Yeah, I hear you...I realize it is a strange question/request, but there is a method behind my madness. :D

I noticed a noticeable difference in output volume as well as tone, when auditioning various profiles of a Marshal model 1959SLP. These are all by different authors. Now, obviously, this may simply be an artifact of how they originally made the profile, and how well it was recorded.

However, I wanted to quickly double-check that it wasn't something obvious, like a major difference in one or more of the parameters in the amp settings/parameters. I do understand that the KPA automatically assigns a value to the "Definition" parameter, depending on the Return input signal/source of the amp being profiled. There may be more parameters that the KPA automatically assigns values, within the Amp menu. Nevertheless, I was hoping to create a completely "standard" template, with everything set to zero, or whatever is "neutral" (e.g., setting the Definition to 5). I would have saved this "standard" template as an amp Preset. Then, I would copy over this template onto each of the various Marshall 1959SLP profiles I am comparing, and see what happens.

Since this is not possible, I am just going to do it by hand. I will make an Excel spreadsheet, and list every parameter in the Stack section (Amp, EQ, Cab). Then, I will fill in the individual settings for each of the profiled MS Super Leads I am comparing. This way, I will be able to see if something jumps out...i.e. a particular setting/parameter value that is significantly different than the others.

Also, just to be clear, there is no other EQ or Stomps enabled in the profiles I am comparing.

Cheers,
    John

Thanks a lot, John. That's very helpful. :)

Just wondering... Does anyone know whether there's a public Wiki available on the operation of the KPA and/or Remote?

Yes sir, Stringtheorist.

Here it is. It is quite extensive, and has a ton of great info. But, I still recommend you read both the Kemper Basic Manual and the much more detailed "Reference Manual", as well as it's "Addendum 3.0", which are all available on the Kemper site under Downloads ==> User Manuals.

http://www.wikpa.org/Main_Page

In order not to get lost on the wiKPA site, I recommend you start at the "SiteMap". Here is a direct link:

http://www.wikpa.org/Site_Map

Hi folks,

I have studied, at length, the KPA manuals (Basic, Reference, Addendum) as well as the excellent WiKPA site. Maybe it is the information overload, but I still have a few questions in regards to KPA presets. Here they are:

A) Okay, if I understand things correctly, KPA presets are stored with the exact same file extension (*.kipr) as full Profiles. If I want to import a "Preset" that I downloaded from the WiKPA site (e.g. maurizio70's "Delay & Reverb presets), how does the KPA understand that these are Presets and not Profiles. I assume I have to place the Preset in the same Shared Folder on my USB flash drive. Would I be correct in guessing that, even though Presets and Profiles share the same filename extension, the KPA is able to distinguish by some additional lower level tags that are part of the file. So, I guess my question is simply to confirm, do I store the Preset in the Shared folder? Once I mount the USB drive on the KPA, and I select "Import", would I be correct in assuming that these maurizio70's Delays & Reverbs will now be accessible as "Presets", when I enter either the Delay or Reverb Effect (by momentarily holding down the appropriate button)...and then they will appear when I use the BROWSE knob?

B) Can "Amp" parameters be stored as a User Preset? In other words, I find myself tending to tweak the amp menu of different profiles such that they have similar settings for Definition, Clarity, Pick, Power Sagging, Compressor, Tube Bias, etc.
    Now, is there away to store these settings as a Preset, that is independent of the particular amplifier? So, for example, if I pull up one of my favorite profiles, and it happens to be based upon a Marshall Super Lead...is there a way I can store just the particular amp menu paramaters as a Preset, without keeping the Marshall Super Lead as part of the Preset. My hope is that I can then apply these amp settings to a new Profile, which may be based on, say a Hiwatt amp. I'd like to be able to browse through presets, when the Hiwatt Amp has been selected and populated the display, and apply this new "amp" User Preset to just the HiWatt menu settings, without the Preset automatically overriding the Hiwatt amp profile and making it a Marshall Super Lead. I hope this makes sense.

C) If question "B" is possible...what are the exact steps to turn the current amp settings into my own User Preset? Then, once this Preset has been given a name, how do I apply it to the target amp profile (e.g., based on a Hiwatt).

Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback and help.

Cheers,
    John