Posts by Tritium

Like db9091, the usual reason to buy a profile now is curiosity, not because of any tonal need - let's face it, between rig exchange and the commercial guys out there the directions the Kemper has already gone are unlikely to be different from what you can do at home. And from my couple of attempts at profiling, the majority of people out there seem to be better at it than I am ;)

Hi Gary,

After reading your post in it's entirety, and given it's context...did you mean to type "...the usual reason to make your own profile now is curiosity, not because...."
    instead of what you originally typed (bolded for emphasis)?

Cheers,
    John

It can't. At least I don't THINK it can. When making the new 3.0 version of a profile, if you are just taking a Studio profile and copying the cab to another studio profile, it is an approximation of the frequencies that make up the cab portion. When merging with a DI, it's a "clean" source with no cab coloration. What I am guessing the Kemper does is keep those "0000111101's" separated somehow so the preamp/poweramp sound comes though your cab on it's own. Hope that makes sense. I am sure I am a little off in my thinking.

Hi JerEvil,

Thanks for your input. If I have read your reply correctly, you are in agreement with my post. In other words, if someone is looking for best method to take a given amp profile, and mix and match different cabinets, it would be to use a Direct Profile, and copy the cab profile from a Merged profile, and paste into the empty Cab slot of the Direct profile. This, in fact, is made possible now with the 3.0 (and newer) Firmware. Thanks in part to people like Tim Owen (HAWP tread and BE100 Direct and Studio profiles), and yourself (Splawn Quick Rod Direct and Studio profiles), the library of Direct and/or Merged profiles is building up.

However, I still am hoping a Kemper representative chimes in on this thread, as the section of the manual I quoted, in my original post, still seems to be a bit misleading. That is to say, combining the cabinet from a Merged profile onto a Studio profile, should not provide optimum results. That implies that the Kemper has somehow subtracted the original cabinet profile from the Studio profile, which again invokes the CabDriver algorithm/process. At least, that is how I see it. That is not to say that doing this will yield unacceptable sounds. The CabDriver has proven to work most excellently. I am just saying that, from a first principles perspective, this would now not be considered "ideal". I am wondering if the section from the Addendum manual is a typo, and that Kemper mean't to write:

A positive side-effect is that the Cabinet of the Studio Profile has become an “authentic” cabinet, comparable to one based on an imported impulse response. If you copy a “merged” Cabinet Profile such as this into another Studio Direct Profile later on, it will not undergo the usual approximation of the CabDriver algorithm.

Hello fellow Kemperites,

I am trying to better understand how to best take advantage of the new Direct / Merged profiling possibilities.

Now, just to be clear, I do understand the differences between Direct, Studio and Merged Profiles. What I still am a bit confused with, is how to best audition, combine and/or change a given amp profile with different cab profiles. In reading other threads related to "Merged" profiles, I see a lot of people making a Copy of the Cabinets from the Merged Profiles (contained in the Factory Profiles of the new Firmware release), and pasting them onto studio profiles (whether free or commercial). However, if I understand the Direct -vs- Studio profiling methods, the only way to authentically switch and swap Cabinets contained in a Merged Profile, is to match them only with a bona-fide Direct profile. If I understand this correctly, it is because the KPA can only separate the cabinet profile from the amp profile, with 100% accuracy, when working with Merged profiles (since they were made separately by combining a Direct profile with a Studio profile).

However, Studio profiles are a mixture of an amplifier and cabinet profile, and involve the Kemper's CabDriver algorithm. So, wouldn't copying a cabinet from a Merged profile onto a Studio profile (versus a Direct profile) be less then "authentic"/"accurate", since there is no way that the Kemper can remove the cabinet contribution from the Studio profile, without invoking the CabDriver algorithm??

If (and this if a big "if") what I have stated above is correct, then this seems to go against and contradict the following statement from the Kemper Profiler Addendum 3.0 Manual, page 14:

Your Merged Profile now features the authentic “amp with cabinet” sound of the Studio Profile, whenever the Cabinet Module is active. If you switch off the Cabinet Module, you will get the authentic, “amp only” sound of the Direct Amp Profile to be fed into a physical guitar cabinet. The original Direct Amp and Studio Profiles are now fully contained in the Merged Profile, so you are safe to delete them now, if desired.

A positive side-effect is that the Cabinet of the Studio Profile has become an “authentic” cabinet, comparable to one based on an imported impulse response. If you copy a “merged” Cabinet Profile such as this into another Studio Profile later on, it will not undergo the usual approximation of the CabDriver algorithm.

In other words...how the heck can the KPA purely and authentically subtract the already incorporated cabinet contribution from a different studio profile, when combining it with just the cabinet profile of a Merged profile. I mean, it seems like the CabDriver algorithm would still come back into play, in order to perform this subtraction process. Which means, combining a cabinet from a Merged profile with a Studio profile will never be as "accurate" / "authentic" as doing the same, but with a bona-fide Direct amp profile.

Hoping you experienced Kemper users can set me straight, here, and I would appreciate anyone thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    John

Just wanted to offer some further thoughts and impressions after a week and a half of bonding with my new Power Rack.

Firstly, every day I learn something new, or dive deeper into features which invariably make me sit back in appreciation and a dare I say, awe.

Case in point...

After constructing five personalized "Rigs" which I have saved as favorites, I started diving deeper into the Amp menu parameters. It is one thing to read the description of the settings and parameter adjustments in the Basic and Reference Manuals...it is quite another to actually tweak them and hear just how much affect they have on your tone. The ability to take a decent profile, and completely sculpt it into a personalized amp tone that just sings with your particular guitar/pickup combination is, for me, completely unprecedented.

My previous experience with a very "tweakable" digital modeler would be the Digitech GSP1101. On the GSP1101, you can modify the basic, core tone of any given amp model by adjusting EQs, and what not. However, the actual dynamics and interaction between the player ==> guitar ==> amp, remained pretty much unchanged. This is the not the case with the KPA. What I have come to deeply appreciate, is amazing power to change the dynamic behavior of the amp response (not just the tone), using the Amp parameters such as "Clarity", "Definition", "Amp compression", "Power Sagging", and "Tube Character" and "Tube Bias".

Make no mistake, this powerful ability to radically adjust the dynamics, interaction/feedback and response has been quite a revelation for me. For you more seasoned Kemper owners, you may have begun to take these features for granted...but for a new owner, it is an eye-opening experience.

I used to have to engage a compressor in the front of my GSP1101 signal chain, to improve the sustain from my Fender YJM Strats, which have very low output pickups. However, this is completely unnecessary with the KPA. Simply tweaking Amp menu parameters such as "Clarity", "Power Sagging", and "Amp compression" (which is entirely different than a stompbox or rack compressor) had my YJM Strats sustaining like it was nobody's business. The best part is the fact that the KPA amp profile, which in this case was a Marshall Super Lead, acts like the real, reference amp which is cranked into power-tube distortion...even when I am playing at low volumes.

Bottom line...I use to think my Digitech GSP1101 was a pretty great sounding piece of kit. Now, in comparison...well, there just is no comparison.

My only regret is that I didn't purchase my KPA sooner.

Cheers all,

Hi JudgeShred,

In reply to your question about building a Rig from scratch (i.e., a complete blank slate)...

The answer is both yes and no. The KPA employs a radically different method of duplicating the characteristics of an amp, as compared to existing digital modelers, such as the Axe-FX II. The Axe-FX uses a mathematical model to simulate the values of components of an amp circuit, and the interactions between them, as well as the power section and output transformer. Once this model is developed, the software engineer(s) tweak various paramaters of this function, in order to simulate and closely match the tone and dynamics of a representative amp. So, in amp model in a digital modeler, such as the Axe-FX, represents a general example of a particular amp manufacturer's model. For example -- a Marshall model 1959 Super Lead.

By way of contrast, the KPA's revolutionary profiling process will exactly clone the specific amp that was used to make the profile, capturing all of the amp's unique personality, individual character and fingerprint, as well as it's quirks. For example -- Joe Bob's Marshall model 1959 Super Lead, Serial Number XXXXX, built originally in 1972, owned by various people, recently acquired by Joe Bob, and who has had it retrofitted with David Bray's Plexi Mod/Re-work II modification. 8)

So, a specific amp Profile is where you have to start, with the KPA. However, that is not to say you can not "build" your own Rig. The best way to do this on the KPA, is to find a profile that is of an amp you want to use as the basis of your tone. When you pull up the profile, turn off any stompbox effects and post effects that may be enabled, as part of the author's rig. Then, go into the Stack section, and set everything to neutral / default, including any amp parameters that are specific to the author's rig.

From there, you start building up your very own, personalized rig, by adjusting the Amp, EQ, and Cabinet settings to your liking, then add any desired Stompbox effects, as well as post-FX (e.g., Delays, Reverbs, etc.).

Congrats, Desiato. Good luck with your new band.

I am a new Kemper Power Rack owner, as well. And I wholeheartedly agree...things are great! I am now getting the best tones I ever have in my 20+ year history of guitar playing and tube amp ownership. :thumbup:

Hi folks,

This thread is huge, and Tim Owens has published a massive number of profile versions of the BE100 (I believe it is up to Phase 26).

Can someone recommend a "Phase" that is an excellent representation of the BE100, and the best general introduction to Tim's profiles of this amp. If you could also advise the specific post # of this thread, which has the download link...that would be most appreciated.

Finally, a big tip of the hat to Tim Owens, for all the time, effort and enthusiasm he has put into this endeavor.

Thanks in advance,
    John

Thanks in advance.

Ah, thanks so much, Helge. I completely over-looked the fact that I could view "Last Imported". That will do the trick. From there, I can assign them to my Favorites folder.

Thanks for the reply and excellent advice.

Cheers,
    John

You just can't post without saying something insulting can you?

Well, this is a very strange thread, indeed. With all due respect, Mathias, it seems like you have made knee-jerk reactions to perceived slights...yet, in reality, no one has slighted you in the least.

Due to all this unwarranted drama, I have formed my own knee-jerk reaction...which goes something like this:

When replying to Mathias, I must remember to walk on egg-shells.

I like it. It kind of has a Zen ring to it.

the rigs are what Thomas Dill used on his Profiler Workshop Tour 2014 in ten cities in five different countries.

The workshop is not the rig pack, obviously. We were asked what profiles he was using during his demonstrations and were happy to release the rigs. ;)

Hi Don,

This workshop, conducted by Thomas Dill, looks extremely informative. Alas, I do not speak German. Is there any possibility that either an English language transcript of the entire video might be put together? Perhaps with text of Thomas' dialogue, translated into English, appearing at the bottom of the YouTube video. Alternatively, maybe a voice-over providing the translation.

I realize that the new Kemper Tutorials, appearing on YouTube, appear to be generally follow the contents of the Workshop. However, I can tell there is more detailed information available in the Workshop video. Thomas did a fantastic job, and I would love to learn exactly what he was saying as he conducted this workshop.

Cheers,
    John

Hi folks,

I expect this is a stupid question, but hopefully you will cut a new KPA owner a bit of slack :P

By the way, I have read the Basic and Reference manuals cover to cover, every which way to Sunday. But I couldn't find a specific answer to this question.

Part A) I have downloaded a few profiles from Rig Exchange. Now, if I want to import them onto my Power Rack using my USB flash drive, I assume I that I am to save these profiles to the "Shared" Folder on the USB drive...yes?

Part B) Is there a way to "force" the import of these new profiles so that they are automatically and directly stored to my "Favorites" folder on the KPA? Otherwise, they are going to get lost in the "All Rigs" pool. I am hoping to save a few steps, and circumvent having to find them in the "All Rigs" browse pool, and then having to manually assign each of them, individually, as "Favorites". It would be awesome if there was a way to import them directly to my "Favorites" folder on my KPA.

Unrelated question --

When I am on the main display, showing a specific rig, and I turn the "Type" knob, I get the drop down box showing "All Rigs", "Favorites", "Non-Favorites", etc. However, if I don't hit a button within 2-3 seconds, the drop down list disappears, and I have to turn the "Type" knob again, to see the different folders. Is there a way to keep this drop down menu open, and prevent it from collapsing, so I have time to decide what folder I want to access?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies and help.

By the way, I am not at my KPA right now, as it is beddy-bye time. However, I just thought of these questions, which came up during my last session this afternoon...and thought I would ask.

Cheers, all.
    John

In terms of gigs I use a UPS.....here in the UK I only found quite a big box....about 6kg and 30.5 x 17.8 x 8.9 cm...it can run for about an hour! I'm sure there are smaller versions you could find that would help you survive a few seconds of power loss or brown out.....

I take it you are not using the 600 watt Power Head / Power Rack version, and powering either a FRFR monitor or a guitar cab. ;)

I am just kidding. I am sure that you would still have a few minutes, which would get you through any conceivable momentary power loss or brown out. I just was wondering about the "it can run for about and hour", if you had a powered KPA connected to that UPS. Of course, it is all a moot point, since you certainly wouldn't continue playing (assuming your were gigging at a venue), if the power actually went out. Or, I take that back, you could definitely score with the chicks, as you would be the only one who could actually continue playing music...besides, perhaps, the drummer (and he doesn't count). :D

In all seriousness, the UPS is a great idea...because it probably has excellent filters and surge protection features. I wouldn't connect my $2,500 Power Rack to a cheapo surge suppressor or even a rack "power conditioner". I use a Furman AR-15 Series II Voltage Regulator.

You know, this is actually quite an interesting topic/discussion. Does anyone know what Kemper uses for it's non-volatile memory system/architecture?

I am guessing it has to be something like NAND Flash memory, rather than EEPROM. In any case, the relatively long boot-time is suggestive that the KPA is running some type of high level OS (Linux, perhaps?). This is a completely different beast, as compared to, for example, a Digitech GSP1101, a Line 6 POD HD500X, or an Eleven-Rack.

On another note, assuming the main memory architecture of the KPA is NAND-based Flash, I wonder if this has any ramifications for long-term reliability, given the finite number of Read/Writes for NAND Flash. It is may be a non-issue, however. I imagine the KPA's utilization and frequency in accessing system memory is significantly lower than what occurs in a general purpose personal computer.

Not sure I understand your comment. My last comment basically agreed with what you just said. I'm happy with kempers fast service but I am still frustrated and rightfully so. I understand they are a small company, I work for a small family business so I know how things can be. Kemper should still expect customers to be upset and not satisfied when something they paid for doesn't work two times. What should have been a smooth 1 time thing has turned into waiting, more waiting, boxing things up, taking them to be shipped back, waiting some more, checking my email everyday, getting new item then praying it works only to go through it all over again with no end in sight. I do realize I am in the minority and most who have their remotes are satisfied and happy with them.

Hi Ewolf5150,

I understand your frustration, especially when it comes to re-packaging and return shipping (never a fun process) of faulty equipment.

However, I must say, I am mightily impressed that Kemper is sending you out a brand new replacement amp...even when it is most likely nothing to do with your KPA itself.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

And of course you could always Lock the empty slot so it's empty in all rigs, though I'm still not sold on whether having an empty Slot rather than an effect simply turned off really makes a big difference, at least I've never notice a lag or any residual tonal changes because of it. Although like Tritium I'm ready for my daily Kemper lesson lol.

I am sure you are right, Booyah. In other words, there shouldn't be any difference between an empty stompbox slot and a stompbox slot that has an effect occupying it, but with the effect turned off. However, this was just one of those little things that started bugging me, when I couldn't immediately figure out how to accomplish this particular task.

In my defense...this "isssue" came up during what I believe was literally just my 2nd session with my brand new Kemper Power Rack.

I had pulled up a factory Profile that I liked, but it had a stompbox effect in slot "B" that I wanted to change. Now, of course, I realized I could just hold the soft button for the "B" slot, and get into the menu, and change it to the particular stompbox effect that I wanted. However, being a scientist, I wanted to take the hard way, and start from first principles (i.e. a completely blank slate). 8)

In other words, I wanted to learn how to completely remove any effect appearing in slot "B", and then build it from scratch. Besides, I viewed this as a learning process, to better familiarize myself with the KPA User Interface. In this particular case, the UI kicked my ass. LOL, I spent a half-hour trying to figure out how to clear the darn slot, but nothing I tried worked. And of course, it turned out to be something ridiculously simple (see HELL-G's post, above)...but wasn't immediately obvious, at least to me, at the time.