Posts by Adinfinitum

I've been using a Hot Plate's direct out with good results. I figured I'd cut my teeth that way and move up to microphones once I get the hang of profiling. It is also easy to capture cabs from other profiles.

I actually stick my fingers on my ears while profiling. I guess use your best judgment when using more sensitive microphones, but if the mic is commonly used on guitar amps, it should be able to handle the SPLs.

CK made it public after he filed his patent; otherwise if there is public disclosure more than a year prior to filing the patent application, there is a statutory bar to filing. Rule of thumb - patent first, market second.

Don't mean to start an argument (whether the 5 minute or full half hour). Again, not true. If your whole company is based on a patented technology, you'll sue the hell out of a competitor if they use that technology. Size of the company doesn't matter, especially when a law firm will take the case on contingency. Believe me, small companies sue other small companies (my firm generally represents those companies). Respect does not enter into the equation. In fact, patent lawyers many time will give opinions on how close you can come to a certain patent without infringing. What does enter into it is whether the tech is already outdated or whether you can prove infringement. It is a battle that takes a lot of time that a company may not want to invest in.

[quote='multivir1',index.php?page=Thread&postID=20223#post20223]

I think if 2 small companies are going to sue each other over this, the only winner will be the attorneys involved, they'll be much better off having some out of court agreement, and working things out then doing it in the courts. I'm sure people will respect each other over any patents granted or pending.

Yeah, Samsung and Apple are really respecting each others' patents lately. Same with Nokia, Motorola and Microsoft. All very respectful. Sorry, but respect of IP rights is the last thing competitors have for each other. It is what can they get away with.

Unfortunately, in order to get to an out of court agreement, you generally need an attorney protecting your rights and enforcing those rights via threat or filing of a lawsuit. As I tell my clients, there are two ways to get an infringer to stop - either they come to a rational decision on their own to stop (based up the threat of monetary loss or injunction) or a judge tells them to. Most settle.

The KPA will give you an error if it is not getting signal back from the reference amp during profiling. So, you would need to split the profiling signal to a DAW to capture it. Record it and save as a wave. Then send to the friend. Have him play the wave into the amp and record the mic output back into the DAW. Send the output wave back to you. Then, start a profile process, but have your DAW send the output file into the KPA so it thinks it's receiving the output from the real reference amp. No ability to refine though, so that might have to be done manually (guessed based upon listening to mp3s of the real amp)

I'm going to dive in and try profiling some of my amps today. I have a hot plate that I used to plug all my tube amps into a Marshall 1960 4x12. i also have a Line6 4 x12 (stereo) and a Mesa 4x12 and a Marshall 1936. Should I just use the Hot Plate's direct outs or will I get better results micing up the 4x12s with an SM57? I don't have great recording mics (or technique!) since I've been recording direct for 10 years and sold off the mic (love to get a Royer 121 since those sound really good in the Axe and others modelers).

PS - I hate typing on an iPad.

DHodgson. Excellent post and interesting hobby! Luckily, many IP firms, such as mine, do take on patent contingency cases, so the smaller company can take on the bigger company. Let's just say the Line6 patent has come up in conversation with clients and potential clients.

I'm an IP attorney (trademarks generally) and what you say is not necessarily true regarding the patent. It really goes to how well the patent claims were drafted in the patent application and whether the implementation used by the "alleged infringing party" overlaps those claims. There is more than one way to build a mouse-trap.

Also, sometime "winning" the lawsuit is not the objective, but having the financial resources to sue and forcing a less financially capable company from continuing using the tech or forcing them to license the tech. License fees can be quite lucrative.

In terms of Line6 not suing anybody, I remember checking a few years ago and not finding any case, but I believe Behringer licensed the Pod technology for the V-amp.

Finally, calling the tech by a different name is a trademark issue, not patent issue.

Spence: I'll keep you company. At least until midnight NY time.

Before i forget, could you please repost the Plexi profile that you used for your Soundcloud clip (which was awesome)?. I tried to download it from another thread but the link didn't work.

I'm going to try profiling a few amps this weekend as a test. Probably my Hiwatt Dr-504 and then my Gk250 ML. I'll keep everyone posted on results and will post if they are worthwhile.

I bought from Thomann and received my unit last Saturday (NY). I assume that if I needed to return the unit then I would need to ship it back to Thomann. After the return date passes, I'm assuming I'll need to contact Kemper and either ship it to Germany or most likely, send to a warranty repair place in the US, since why would Kemper want to pay shipping back to the EU and then back to the US.

I'm still slowly learning the ins and outs of the KPA. Does anyone know how many Profiles can be stored in internal memory? Is there a limit on the number of presets? I stored some Profiles on a USB and loaded them into the KPA, but I want to make sure that there is no preset limit.