Posts by ckemper

Turn Pure Cab off. Not just set to 0, but completely off, and see if that helps. When it’s off globally: I find it works at 0.1 on some profiles, and completely off with others.

If a Boss Katana is giving you better dirty tones, it’s possible that you inadvertently saved or locked some undesirable settings. Have you done a soft reset?

Why would low values of Pure Cabinet help in this situation? I see the opposite.

I‘m happy to chime in late to this topic.

Here is my view, made up as a little guideline. I know you guys are aware of every single fact, but I want to try to put those facts on a solid base for you, if you get trapped into an argument about sound :)

When the Profiler does not sound right to ones ears, then it might be about the profiles he/she is listening to. All profiles available are done by users, pro or semi-pro. There is only two handful of profiles made at the company Kemper. We rely on the cultural plurality of our users.

And if there is a tube amp that sounds better, then it should be profiled and compared afterwards, not before.

Usually everyone that state that his amp sounds better or different than the Profiler, without mentioning that he has profiled his amp already and comparing to this, has not profiled his amp yet.

Any digital guitar amp monitored through linear speakers should not be compared to a tube amp monitored by a guitar speaker (amp-in-the-room). If one states that a tube amp sounds better in comparison, without mentioning the speaker setup, then it is highly probable that apple and oranges were compared. Question it.

When two amp sounds sound the same, then they feel the same. There is no way how a sound would feel different for the player, but sound exactly the same for the listener.

The (assumingly) only exception to this is different latency of both sounds, which is only perceivable by the player, but not by the listener. We learned from you that the Profilers latency - while not avoidable - is about imperceptable.

When two amp sounds sound the same, than it is impossible that one sound will drown in the mix, while the other doesn‘t. If these sounds behave differently, than they simply do not sound the same, no matter what a pro says.

And yes, this might be about high frequencies and transients, as some users state in this thread.

If there were esotheric parts in the sound, that would make a difference in a busy mix, then those parts would easily be identified, when listening solo, especially for a pro.

Professional producers or mixers are not gods or scientists. Most of them are artists using equipment mostly created by scientists. And sometimes even the best make pseudo scientific statements, that they don‘t feel it‘s worth further proving.

Some thoughts:

Wheresthedug :

The user scales are done by chromatic offsets relative (!) to the note played.

Thus the scales do not represent absolute scale steps. An offset of zero should be represented by the digit 0, not 1.

I think, most (digital) musicians have learned that one octave is represented by the offset 12. In your theory, either relative or absolute, an octave would be the number 13.

Would this be intuitive for you?

Saying the actual 0-11 numbering is ridiculous does not meet the reality, as this is done equally in many devices including Eventide.

Man_With_Gas

You are assuming that the majority of musicians has an absolute note approach to music. I believe (and Hans Jörg too) that a majority has a relative approach. In my knowledge only the big Eventide devices feature an absolute note display.

Sharry

We presume if you are planning to use regular scales beyond major/minor, then you are aware of the fact that those can be derived from the base major key. The elsewhere usual parameter for the scale is only an offset to the key, and does not create any new scale content, but pretends to do so. F.e. the famous mixolydian is always a fifth over the major key.

Wow, JSB , you set your return volume to +15db? The amp must be set really, really low and it will lose a lot of both punch and shine at those volumes. You really want to crank it, as if you were trying to get the tones of the amp when cranked rather than the amp at low volume.

That's a nice and widespread theory that I haven't seen being tested yet.

We have done such a test once with an amp with preamp distortion, where power amp distortion was not desired.

We took a dozen of profiles at different master volumes of the reference amp.

The Profiler unifies the volumes of the profiles, so we could listen to the differences only.

There were no differences at all, with the exeption of the loudest profiles, where the tube power amp started to compress and making this specific setting sound worse.

The test was made for proving the theory that an amp and especially a guitar speaker has to be driven hard to sound right or better.

In another test we found that a speaker sounds the same at any volume, except when driven by very high energy, where the mechanical limits are reached. Usually at this point even the strongest tube power amps are into compression or clipping.

Everyone can make this test with a Profiler.

If you seek for a power amp distortion on the other hand, then volume is crucial.

CK

Wish it sounded as good as the CE-2 .... that for me is still the one (in a pedal) :)

The Vintage Chorus was modeled after the good old CE-1. I can ensure that you could not tell the difference.

Without having checked the CE-2, I believe it was also a carbon copy of the CE-1, as well as other chorusses from that era (e.g. Ibanez), and also sound equal.

Please post clips, if you hear any differences.

Sound like you had the return level set too low when you profiled. During the profiling process you have a Kemper amp and the amp you are profiling. If you toggle back and forth between them you can adjust the return level until theuy sound similarly loud before profiling.

For the profile you have already made, you would need to increase the volume in the Stack section of the Amp and/or increase the rig volume then resave the edited profile.

Not exactly true.

The residual profile level will be set automatically, so no exact manual volume matching is necessary.

Anyway, try to profile again!