Posts by ckemper

Why the EQ on and off sounds different even if it is set to zero?

Please check again.
    When the stack eq is set to all zero, there will be no sound difference.
    There is technically no way, that a single unit deviates from this behaviour, as the eq is all digital.

Crybaby preset is perfect for dirt/lead......Although....I can't seem to dial in a decent clean wah sound for funky sounds. The crybaby really makes a clean setting distort and sound terrible.

I'm a little disappointed because I have "locked" the crybaby wah on stomp D so I can leave it on for all profiles and not waste one of the 3 stomps I have setup on my FCB1010. It would have been great to have an "all purpose" wah there.

Try to bring down Clean Sense a bit.

Maybe I don't get the point, but the sustain of the profiles are equal to the original amps.
    And they are not the same among the profiles.
    If you want a different sustain, change the Gain.

For what I see all the users noticing it have brand new units and are making the first FW upgrade. Is it possible that some of the units are shipped with some sort of data corruption on the flash memory that get enhanced/activated by the upgrade to 1.1.0? With previous FW was not happening.... Just thinking out loud....

See, Davide?
    It's been a couple of days now and no answer to my questions.
    I must assume there is no volume problem at all.
    And we discuss curing this by a full format of the Profiler.
    This is crazy.

I have to fight against this urban myth that users are about to develop. If I don't do that it will soon be common sense that you have to format the device to sound right.
    As you can see we are close already.

Joshua,
    what I consider to be the full story is this:
    We have offered you what is the regular case: Return it to the dealer for repair. Of course if the dealer is unable to repair the unit, we would offer him a replacement unit. But over this long distance a repair is quicker than a replacement, expecially when the error is detected already.

This is what has been communicated: (Who is Alex, by the way?)

Replied By : Burkhard Dinnies
    Kemper Amps Support
    Replied On : 23 Jul 2012 17:40:29
    unfortunately I have to confirm, that your unit needs a repair of the system clock. There is no way,
    to fix this software wise. Please approach your dealer for a repair. Sorry for the bad news!

Replied By : joshua.thanos
    Kemper Amps Support
    Replied On : 23 Jul 2012 18:20:57
    Is there a way that u can send me the replacement parts and i do it myself ? Cos here in Indonesia
    it is very corrupted and even for repairs they would tax me again even if the bill states nil...ive
    experienced this before with my Suhr guitar.
    Regards,
    Alex

Sorry that I had to refresh your memory.
    We have offered you the regular way to get your unit fixed. The best is to bring it back to your retailer, who is responsible for your product.
    As you can read in Guitartones reply, that's the way it works the best.
    It is an exceptional case when we care about a customers by bypassing the retailer the way we did.

In our history (15 years) there have been several cases where users live so far a way from us in an area with lower infrastructure (dealer-wise) and high duty and taxes.
    In this case we ask if there is a skilled person around and send spare parts for a home repair. It has been successfull in every single case (yet).
    Even though this causes us extra work, we like to support our customers this individual way.

It's a good day to reconsider our service policy.

CK

Joshua,

Sorry for the second price offer you have received from us.
    This second price (the higher one) was obviously an internal misunderstanding.
    We could have solved this confusion quickly if you had written back.
    We have also forgotten to mentioned that you will get a payback for the broken part, if you send it back. I am sorry for that.

Now that you have made this a big public story, I think it's time to tell the full story how everything started, don't you think?
    My engineers have spent quite a time to solve this individual situation, it could have been much easier for us.
    Do you want me to continue?

For what I see all the users noticing it have brand new units and are making the first FW upgrade. Is it possible that some of the units are shipped with some sort of data corruption on the flash memory that get enhanced/activated by the upgrade to 1.1.0? With previous FW was not happening.... Just thinking out loud....

Not really likely.
    There is actually no volume control that is out of the control of the user.
    The only volumes that can make the output LED clip while the input LED is green: the rig volume down right and the cabinet volume. Both should be set to the middle position.

The flash memory has no influence whatsoever on volumes, noise, aliasing or spdif.

The system reset sets all global values to its init state. A flash init simply erases all rigs and cleans the file system.

Is anybody here who had a sound problem that could not be cured by a system reset, but finally succeeded with a flash initialisation?

Were these problems on all profiles or rigs?
    I cannot imagine that the noise and clipping problems were independent from your gain and volume settings. Have you analyzed this before?
    A simple system initialization might have done it too.

If volumes would really differ between firmwares, then dozends of users would notice it. There would be a huge forum thread.

I am trying to find out about the philosophy of FRFR.

FRFR is a very misleading term in any case. It suggests to many people that these speakers have different characters and purposes than other regular and linear speakers.
    Nobody really knows where this word comes from. It is absolutely not used or even known in the entire audio world exept in the digital amp world.

I think it was created to separate guitar cabs from the rest of the speakers. The latter was called FRFR. By that definition stereos are FRFR too, right?

I like the terms "analytic" and "emotional". FRFRs tend to be analytic then, like studio monitors.

Monitors are used to define the final sound of a recording. The recording will contain guitars too. The recording will later be consumed through many "emotional" stereos, so the guitar sound will "converted to emotional" too, and still should sound right.

Is it a correct advice not to play the Profiler through your stereo, even if you are used to its sound?
    It should sound good anyway. At least as good as listening to your favorite record.
    If the profiler is put on a record and listened through the same stereo you should have similar results.

Bruno,
    Great that you liked the KPA's sound into your guitar cab.
    I understood you didn't use a DI profile, but used the regular profiles with CabOff.
    Have you tried multiple rigs?
    Did you use any Monitor EQ to achieve the perfect sound or did it work flat?