Posts by ckemper

These are internal system pages, that we are using in the company to evaluate and check our hard- and software.
    They are not made for a save use, they are hidden for that reason.

It's like lifting the engine cover of a modern car. Have a look, but don't pull the cables :)

I agree with you. I raised this a few times in other threads in that although the profiled version of my amp may initially "sound" the same as the real amp, it certainly does not respond as well as the real amp. I find that when I play the real amp there is lots of reaction from the amp which makes for a "lively" playing experience. However, the profiled version of the amp lacks the same "liveliness" completely, unless of course you start using compression pedals, but I don't want to use a compression pedal because that then changes the sound completely.

I would be interested in listening to an A/B comparison to your amp and the profile.
    You should definetely get the same feel from the profile.
    What amp model did you profile?
    Did you refine it?
    Please send an A/B audio file to our support hotline for me to listen.

[quote='Radley',index.php?page=Thread&postID=25881#post25881]This thread is a chance for me and *anyone else* including Mr. Kemper, to speak their mind concerning the KPA. The idea here is not to simply complain, but to offer helpful suggestions to improve the product for everyone:

Take your favorite distortion pedal or overdriven amp - play something sensitive with your fingers - that's right, bare flesh on the strings (a la Jeff Beck). Listen to the way the attack translates into tone - now do the same on the Kemper with a similar gain patch. It is *not* the same - it is a different feel/response altogether. My 12 year old Boss GS-10 does it way better than this, and that is why I used it as an example. The KPA is a whole new generation with so many incredible new features - I just don't want to see us lose some of the most foundational aspects for building great tones...

Radley, do I get it right?
    You take only modeling amps (Axe Fx, Boss) as a reference for evaluating and comparing the sound of the KPA?

Christoff - I am trying to be helpful. I am very impressed that the KPA can copy my show-tested presets from another modeler so well - it is a very handy function indeed! I profiled 3 more of my amps yesterday, and it's getting better and better. 8) (I guess I still don't understand why my requests for thread deletion have not been honored - they were not posted to create a 'kerfuffle'!)

How does it happen that it get's better and better?
    You are learning to refine your modeling amp in a better way?

Fortunately you don't need section level meters, as it's virtually impossible to clip a signal. The exception is the input and output, where you find that level meter.

Also you don't need a dedicated profiling return level meter.
    The output level led will indicate this, as stated in the base manual.
    It's kind of logical: If you clip the profiling return, you will clip the output at the same time.

Hey CK, Do you mean you feel it's possible right now, or that it's a feature that could be added?

I'd love to be able to capture the rooms tone curve and map that onto a reverb that's added.

Right now I find that the actual tone changes quite a bit when distance micing, and my Kemper isn't really able to capture it that, the softening in the treble end from the diffusion of sound I guess. If you want I can post some clips against the profile it makes.

It has always been possible. I don't expect problems.
    Do your close mic profiles sound closer to the original?

... But as you read in this great Alan Parsons article: If the distance is not more than 30 - 40 cm, you will hardly catch any other signal by the microphone, such as other instruments or the surrounding room.

Distance miking is possible. The profiler will compensate for the latency.
    The reverb tail of the room will shrink, which can be of an advantage, since the sound will be more direct.
    If desired, reverberation can be added afterwards.

What is more important: the frequency responce of the room is fully captured.

Some questions here:

Have you done your own profiles yet?
    Have you refined them well?
    Will you share them with us?

Who told you that the KPA is doing simple EQ matching only?

Have you used the deep amp parameters yet, such as Definition, Sag, Shape, Bias etc.?

CK

Check this again. None of these volumes alter the sound.
    There is no need to trade different volume parameters against each other, fortunately.

Why would I take over a use concept that would limit our possibilities?
    The Electro Harmonics design is a compromise from the 70's, bound to three controls only.

The Electric Mistress is missing a Manual knob, for controlling the middle frequency of the flanging.
    The Manual knob is standard in many other Flanger and Phaser designs, e.g. Boss.

The design of the bigger *Deluxe* Electric Mistress is even different. There you have a switch for engaging the Filter Matrix.

The Mistress is known to be a Flanger. So it is a good idea to use the Flanger or Comp Filter Stomp for this effect.
    I am getting similar results here.
    A classic chorus is generally not designed for creating controllable static effects.

CK

It is there and is handled as on any other device:

Choose Phaser or Flanger and set the Depth (not Rate!) to zero.
    Or choose Wah Phaser or Comp Filter and set Pedal Range to zero (or Pedal Mode off).

Then set the desired sound by "Manual"

It's not a good advice to set rate to zero on any device for a static sound. Even if the LFO frequency goes down to zero, you might end up with an undetermined (arbitrary) frequency setting.

CK