Posts by ckemper

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

My problem is partially solved now, anyhow. Since I wrote my original post here I lost my signal again and there was no way getting it back so I spoke with a friend that is a studio technician. I thought I had all in control as far as the settings in Focusrite's MixControl software goes, but my friend recommended me to reset to factory settings anyway and so I did thinking nothing will happen BUT suddenly I had a signal again. But it was still very very weak! My solution then was simply, as the same friend recommended, to switch to a balanced cable and I got the louder signal BUT now I have a noise-level issue that is impossible to work with. I have to crank my soundcards gain to almost maximum which must be what brings the noise so I ended up ordering a DI-box. I hope that will solve my noise issue.

Thanks for your kind help! Much appreciated.

I think there is nothing wrong with your SPDIF connection.

This is why I was asking what the maximum peak level of your DI-Signal is, when you hit the guitar.

The average level of the DI signal is quite low purposely, to allow for immense dynamic range, without compromizing the sound quality.

This seemingly bug is a feature instead!

Every Profiler and the Kemper Power Kabinet is perfectly matched in level.

In difference to an external power amp, it is impossible to hard-clip the power amp of the Kabinet.

For higher volumes, the analog volume control on the Kabinet should be set to maximum.

Then the volume is solely controlled by the Monitor Volume and the Power Amp Boost.

When comparing the Kemper to the QC for capturing, and having the reference amp still setup for comparison between all three, time and time again the QC gets closer to the real amp.

This isn't to be unexpected or a surprise. The Profiler has tech from a decade ago. Machine learning and AI assisted systems have moved on a lot since then.

No-one gets defensive or passionate when the next model of phone comes out and it has a better camera built into it. It's just the way technology evolves.

We usually deal a lot with musicians that do not see Refining as a burden, but in stead as a chance to control and polish the profiling outcome. As a good reference, there are the Guido Bungenstock videos that are spot on.

I have the assumption that you are not interested in finding reasons for your Profiles having too much bass.

Maybe I don‘t understand your mentioning about -5.

Profiles or Rigs in general don‘t have this setting.

It is all about effects placed before the AMP, where the effects volume parameter is set to negative values.

This will result in either less amp gain or in lower volume.

Please check if in the Rigs in question you have any effects (distortions etc.), whos Volume parameter is at negative values.

During the release of the 8.0 with Kemper Drive we had fruitful discussions about these Volume parameters not affecting the AMP Gain when set to negative values. This was because the AMPs volume compensation also compensated these negative settings.

This has been corrected for the 8.06, as a consequence these settings now have an impact.

If you find negative values (that actually didn‘t have an impact before), then adjust them to 0.0 or other values that are appropriate for that Rig.

CK

With respect to the hardware interface, I prefix my personal presets with an underscore, and they appear in the menu before any factory presets of the same type. This makes them easy to find and differentiate.

If there was to be a new feature to show only user presets on the hardware, I'd prefer it to be in a new view, with the existing menu being kept as it is.

And here is the trick for the hardware Profiler:

No need for underscores any more, to separate your personal presets from the factory presets.

The factory effect presets will *always* appear after the user presets.

I expected to see all the "factory embedded presets" appear in RM under "my profiler" as they are now residing within the KPA.

However, i only see my presets. I did expect to see them listed but later noticed that they are located if you click on the block in the bottom left corner of RM

That's the trick for the Rig Manager.

The factory effect presets are separate from your user presets now. Out of the way.

I think that's an advantage.

Maybe I don‘t get the point.

We have not taken away any of the custom features. The factory effect presets are a natural addition to the effect types, and I don‘t see them blocking the way for user presets.

The 8.2 introduces a clear distinction between user effect presets and factory effect presets.

In the Rig Manager section on top, there is only user content, as always. Factory Presets will never appear there, unless you load a preset pack. But the latter is not necessary anymore. No section, no folder, nothing.

The Rig Editor section on the bottom only provides factory effect presets. If you don‘t want to rely on those, then you will never open this list.

On the Profiler itself, user effect presets will be listed first, for each effect type. Again, the factory presets are not blocking the view to your user presets.

We are also having default settings as well as the types themself, since quite a time.

It‘s obvious that one user will only use a subset of types in total.

Still no one has approached us yet for a function to throw certain types from the list, even though this list is quite long.

Sweetening and Directivity have been alternatively greyed out in the past with toggeling the mode.

Now they share one location and get swapped by toggeling the mode.

Same result.

And it gave space to the new Boost parameter, that is needed for the Kemper Power Kabinets.

To do this, use a filter for user preferences, just as you can mark profiles as favorites.
    A standard tagging and filtering philosophy would be helpful here.

I think it might be easier even to place the user presets right at the beginning of the list. That way, the factory presets are out of the way, as long as you don‘t need them. And no filters or tagging is required.

The picture from our manual is not contradicting.

The „monitors“ are the „one or two active speakers“.

The situation is a stage or rehearsal room situation, where you would connect your „personal monitor speakers“ to the Monitor Output, while you feed the Main Outputs to the front-of-house (FOH) mixing desk.

However, the word „monitor“ can be interpreted differently, as monitors of your home studio have the same name.

The (home) studio setup picture is in the Manual chapter „Basic Setups“ at roughly page 64.

Tell us more about your home studio, so we can prevent a bad experience again, as you had back in 2015.

It is probable that you had put too much level into your audio interface.

The change of thinking that you describe is going on since many years. A significant amount of users - newbies, and even more professionals - did not make the necessary distinction between effect types and effect presets. This is because most digital guitar amps do not feature presets for their effects (that is more than one default setting per effect), it is not a widespread and known feature at all.

We see effect preset as an extension, or even a substitute, of our effect types. It helps our philosophy of transparent effects, where visible parameters show and allow the difference of certain sound aspect, and we avoid creating slightly different effect types and making questionable claims about having found the secret sauce of this and that. The secret sauce can be seen in the additional parameters instead. This is all bundled in the effect presets, as a colourful starting point for individual creations. This has started with the new Delay and Reverb updates, and continues with the Kemper Drive and Kemper Fuzz philosophy.

Now we have decided to make the effect presets permanent, so they can be easier maintained.In the Rig Manager, they appear in the preset lists of the editor in the lower part of the window, while the user effect presets can be found in the upper part. That is a clear separation.On the hardware however, permanent presets and user presets are inline.

There is this idea for the hardware part to have a separate Category for user effect presets, so they can be found right at the beginning of the list, instead of inline with the permanent presets.Since you would not create dozens or hundreds of effect presets for your own purpose, they might easily be found in that „User Category“.

How do you like this idea?

Great to see you adding support Sir! This is off topic and don't want to hijack the thread however curious what your settings are for the Kones (pure cabinet, directivity, etc.). Would like to try them sometime. ;)

Nothing special.

The default values are a good choice.

Especially for the Imprint mode (MonitorCabOff)

Directivity at noon for the Imprint mode.

Bass Boost on only if the Kabinet is lifted.

That‘s all options.

I like the „Oxford“ imprint the most. A true treasure.

Please confirm that you run the Kones from either the Monitor Outputs (only!) of your Profiler and an external power amp, or directly from a build in power amp.

The Kemper Kone Mode is only happening on the Monitor Output (or the build in power amp). On any other there is no support for the Kone/Kabinet. As a result, the Kones will sound muffled an suboptimal.

I assume that those who experience a subpar tone, do not connect it the right way.