Posts by Froschn

It's all about sound, everything else is not that important. You pay for certain sounds or a certain soundquality, not for any features, issues, updates or something.
    I find the KPA's price is a very good offer for the sounds you get. :thumbup:

What you can do also another way, is to lock everything but the cab. When you then start to step through the rigs everything stays, only the cab changes. Vice-versa you could lock a cab and check if there is any amp that fits.

You did go to the maitenance-menu -> memory -> init and afterwards it still didn't boot? That's bad...You could unplug it from power for 15 minutes and try once again. Another thing is, that any control may it be a button or a wheel could be in a wrong position, button didn't release or knob is parking between contacts, I don't know if something like that's could ever happen to the KPA but I had failures like this with many stuff, midiboards, rackgear, even the microwave in the kitchen....worth a try to touch all knobs.

For some it seems to be no problem to have more rigs, and I have no clue why, if I had I would spread my finding here...but when you had the green screen youmight be among the ones that better have less rigs.So you can go back to 104 or delete some rigs I guess. Or make some tries and find the cause of all the errorrs and tell us all, that would be nice!s

No, I have no official confirmation about the max number of rigs...although I asekd the support if there is a number. What I tried myself is to load different portions of my rigs into the KPA and it didn't crash with any portion as long as there weren't too many rigs imported. I could import my first 400, my middle 300, my last 400, and it didn't crash. I did it that way to find the portion with the corrupted rigs, that's what I hoped. But there was no killer-rig, it worked as long as the total number of rigs stayed low. I still hope they find a solution so I can go on wasting memory and messing around with rigs, it's easier...but if not, that's ok, so I have to sort them and delete the weak ones.

Well, so far, that's the problem. You can load some 400 to 500 rigs and as long as it's not getting more, it should run stable under FW 1.05.
    When you try to import more it'll freeze again.
    I have now more than 1K rigs inside, with FW 1.04. What I'm after actually is to find out wich rigs I like and wich I don't need and I hope to get rid of 500 rigs or more, so I can hold the rest and update to 1.05 without freeze or crash.
    But if you import more than 500 rigs and it works on yours, please tell me about it.

I don't know how many people have problems. My supportticket# is 55, so that's not much. Bad thing about it is, that I can make my tries in the evening, when I'm off from working and they can respond only over the day while working. We can not reach each other so fast...

Over 100 Kemper users here, probably 10 are having problems...is not "almost everyone". Agree that it shouldn't happen and the pop should have been picked up. The freeze is selective (most of people has updated without issues, including myself), probably something to do with failure in the file name translation from the old to the new format and linked to specific charachters/filename lenght.

It sucks big time, but it has not wrecked all the units around....

Well, I guess that's a point to start the search: Filenames/dates get somehow changed during this update.
    Can anyone here confirm what happens to names and dates, please?
    I have some rigs with exactly the same name, they have just different dates/times. Maybe I should rename these, to make a difference. What else? There has been a midi issue in an earlier FW when two following blanks are in the name. I go searching for names like that. I go changing rare characters like .-?&%!":-)
    Anyone with some more ideas what to try?

And please, if someone with a freeze got 1.05 running now, just tell us what you did.

What you can do instead of exporting rigs from the unit itself, using it's UI wich is timeconsuming is to extract the rigs from the backupfiles.
    The shareware 'total commander' is a different kind of windows-explorer, with it you can look inside the backup-file wich is a zipped kind of archive and you can directly take out rigs and cabs by drag-and-drop.
    Be careful and don't touch anything else, where you could corrupt global settings or midi settings. That could lead into another weird errors.

Same picture I had some hours before :)

Got it work again.

First of all a disclaimer: I have no clue if the manufacturer likes it when users go to the maintanance menu. I would recommend not to touch anything where you feel unsure. I guess you could toast the unit that hard in there that you'd need to send it back to support. It's your own decision and your own responsibility when you do that.

And that's what I did:

Copied from Armins site:

Note: ALL the rigs will be erased during this procedure!!

• Switch the main knob to off
    • Hold the left/top soft-key above the LCD
    • while still holding this key - switch KPA to tuner
    • Maintenance Module will be started
    • In the 'Maintenance' menu goto 'Memory'
    • Use Memory FormatFlash and InitFlash (I pressed init here)
    • Check if the KPA works (booting, tuner)
    • Resinstall your rigs - I recommend to just install the stock rigs - in case you have corruped rigs on your USB stick
    • Load additional rigs - check if all rigs work (Did not work with FW 1.05, freezed again!)
    • Check all the KPA settings

I then have put FW 1.04 back on the stick and downdated, then loaded my restored state and now I'm back FW 1.04.

I'll wait for now until someone can say why the update failed.

Didn't get 1.05 running with my rigs.
    Had freezes or error messages after the update.
    Only thing that helped was intialization, so everything got cleared, then it worked again. Starting with no rigs inside.
    But when I tried loading my rigs back into memory (tried with restore and with loading them over import) I had freezes again while booting.
    I guess some of my rigs are not compatible to the updated FW.....but: How could I ever get out wich are corrupted? There should be around 1k rigs in my KPA and I can not try them one by one, when the unit starts to boot after every import.
    Gone back to 1.04, then restored, and it works again.
    I'll stay at 1.04 for now and wait.