Posts by Froschn

Both can get very loud. I guess the higher price of the nx series is not because of the pressure they can supply.

Specsheets usually show meassures made on axis, the best position to get a good frequency response. When you leave the axis (and that's what you gonna do on stage for sure!) the response is steady changing. More with some, less with others. Some monitors have a wider beam, some a more focussed. Depends on your band what you need. Wider beam when it's important that you can walk around and when you band shall hear what you play, focused beam when the monitor is mainly for you only and you try not to disturb others too much. Another thing is, that a monitor blowin directly in your face is blowin on the strings too and might lead to feedbacks, so even when you plan to stay on one place, you could like to stand off axis.

The angles of the beam are usually somewhere in the specs, but every manufacturer has it's own way to meassure that, so these specs are not that serious. But you should be able to compare monitors of the production line of one manufacturer.

The nx has coaxial speakers and that takes away some problems. The coaxial design allows a better frequency response when you leave the axis or walk around. Also some phase shifting effect because of the distance between the two speakers can get reduced when the speakers are on one axis. That all leads to a better clarity and clarity can't be wrong to cut in full bandmix.

At the other side, the construction of coax speakers is much more complicated and I guess that's maily the cause why there are no budget coax monitors. Coaxial, loud and reliable, hard to build...

When the nx is already in your head, do you believe you can ever get happy without having tried it ? :whistling:

Another great tool is the lock function. You can lock parts that you want to stay as they are when you change presets. Lock the cab and scroll through the presets, the cab remains the same everything else changes. That way you can check very fast what a certain part would sound alike in other presets, because that way you don't need to edit anything, you just scroll fast and conveniant through the presets.

Yes, pleasant and usuable tones within an hour that's true! Found a lot and that was a hundret times faster than with the AFX. But to get out the last 10 percent that's always a long way, even with conventional amps you got to try different guitars, cabs, boosters and all the surrounding gear. Sometimes you get new ideas after weeks or months, that's the way with real amps, how could it be better with artifical amps?

Tricks? Hm...Are there some pickups, pots, cables, wireless, boosters and so on, that lead to a more realistic feel? What happens when you profile with a wrong setting with purpose to get different results when you compensate it with the internal controls, like saying you profile with too much gain and bass, to get it right, when you reduce gain afterwards with the kpa's gainknob? Can you lower gain and increase sensitivity or is it better the other way round? How do a compressor and the special controls of the ampblock interact? And so on....You don't need an AFX to have questions that you can not answer at once and it'll take some time to try everything.

After two weeks? It took me month to get out satisfying sound out of the other thing not to be named and I guess you haven't been faster, have you? So give it the same months to find 'your' sounds. Less controls doesn't mean that there are less tricks to get a certain sound. The number of profiles that can be taken or imported is high! As said in the other forum: It's in there, you just got to tweak more to find a way for your needs!

No changes of the sound since I booted pressing system...Do I have the thin sound or the fat sound now? And is it clear, that the thinner sound must be the wrong one? Can anyone confirm that Kemper didn't touch the sound, that there hasn't been any wanted update of the sound. OK, the release notes do not tell anything like that, but is that alone a clear and save information?

Getting the sound that I want is quite easy. It depends on the right mic for me. I love how an E609 captures the sound or a MD421 or a Rode NT-2a. Somehow that's just what me, the player, prefers. FOH-people don't like an E609 that much, too much open highs and too low lows and the missing midhump. BTW I believe they wouldn't like any in-the-room-sound too, that's another sound for the player himself.

That's the question: Of course the microfone that is close to the membrane is not hearing the same sound as me, but I guess it should not hear the same! The signal that the mic captures is the signal for another membrane and not the signal for my ear. Before I can hear what the mic heared it has to go once again through a membrane. The idea of capturing the signal that your ear hears seems wrong.

About time for some clean up!

Yes, that's right, but I still don't have it set up for stage use and don't know wich are the sounds that I really need. When I delete some a bigger number of new ones apear on the database and I fear it's getting more and more rigs the more campers we get.

Always wondered if the idea of a farfield miking makes sence. When I record the amp in 3m distance I try to record the sound that I hear 3m away from my amp. so far so good. But when I play through that IR and stand 3m away from my monitor I get another 3m distance and a second room influence added...Hmm, wierd! To have my usual in-the-room sound the membrane of my monitor should put out exactly the same sound as the original cab did and when I stand 3m away from my mon and turn it as loud as my amp I should get my 3m-distance-from-amp-in-da-room-feeling, right?

I sometimes wonder why no factory presets on whatever modeler have as much highs and presence as real amps have.
    And when you play with modelers only for a longer time you might forget how real highs have to be, how they seem to be too much when you play alone and how wonderful such a sound translates into a ful mix and what these highs can do for you on stage in a band context.
    Therefore, the availability of highs is one of the most important things about every gear to me. If something does not deliver enough highs, it's useless for me.
    So I wonder how highs can be too much? You can dial em out if they are too much or add a bassier, smoother or muddier cab if you like too. But when the profile is not deliviering high frequencies you can not add them anymore, no EQ on earth can make something louder that is not existing, it needs to be there first to be equalized then.
    Another thing is, that the KPA only takes copies of sounds of amps. If something is too sharp, the amp must have been like that and must have allowed such a setting of it's controls. It is just the sound of a real amp...wich is different from wrong settings on modelers, wich are wrong creations (except for some profiles of AFX-presets, these could have been weird before the profiling). Can any famous amp be a wrong creation? ?(