Posts by ajs

It's magic!

:D

Yeah, three volumes....

I don't know about the amp master vol and whether it's also profiled and has the same basic effect as a master vol on the profiled amp but the question has crossed my mind a couple of times.

I also don't know if the cab vol affects the entire amp stack tonally or not, it's nearly impossible to not be seduced by the increase/decrease in volume and believe there's a difference.

I just keep an eye on the lights.

The light! The light! Go to the light!

:D

I had a quick look at the Scarlett manual, there was no mention of panning, unless I missed it. That might mean that the mono inputs stay mono so if you connect the stereo KPA it'll be summed in both outputs, ie a composite mono output signal on both output jacks.

That is if you're using it as direct monitoring, ie, not also sending the signal via a computer and audio card, which the manual says is possible.

If you want a stereo signal via USB into your DAW then of course panning can take place there.

I could be mistaken, though, I have zero experience of the Scarlett except thirty seconds in the manual. :)

Yeah, after two months using the KPA some of the cab profiles still surprise me in terms of how much weight I can hear behind them.

I've used convolution and IR's quite a bit in over the past few years and it's not just guitar cabs which feel a little lacklustre at times. I'm not sure what the KPA is doing or if there's anything 'convoluted' about it but whatever it is there's a distinct increase in my sense of authenticity when working with it.

Most of my playing over the past 20 plus years has been studio and home based recording so I'm either direct into the board/interface or else in front of the control room speakers with an amp in the recording room. There has been more than one occasion with the KPA that I've forgotten what I'm using and been completely fooled into thinking there's an amp in the other room.

When I first peeked into a few guitar based message boards I kept seeing this 'amp in the room!' topic. It took me a minute or two to figure out they were meaning standing beside a roaring amp rather than the sound of an amp in the other room. :)

I did notice yesterday when I turned off a cab that the profile I was using had some really nasty high frequency stuff going on, and that's not even playing, just a nasty high pitched whine and grunge. I presumed it was a poorly profiled amp thing (it was a user profile) rather than any inherent KPA issue. I checked some others and it wasn't in those. There was a fair bit of presence on the profile which was obviously accentuating the issue.

I'm not sure if any of that has any bearing at all but thought I'd mention it.

Quick test with a Strat and a bunch of clean profiles on good 'phones. Some grungy, low level hiss and noise from the amps but nothing I'd call clipping. 1.05 here.

You guys really need to read the small print:

Arguing among KPA owners will be met with the progressive removal of fingers until typing can no longer be performed.

Green?

Yes, the KPA is green, and rather fetching it is too. :)

If you knew the history of their Virus synth line you'd likely be less concerned about how the KPA is panning out since their track record is to get it right and attract many a 'serious player'.

Amps are dumb, heavy boxes filled with groaning, intemperate, ancient technology, they make people deaf and have been known to kill a few folk! I'll never own another one. :D

I prefer a different look to the default scheme. It can be changed in the settings but only seems to affect the main page. When I go into the various sub forums it reverts back to the default.

Every KPA owner should have S-Gear! It's cheap, excellent, a great way to learn about profiling, users can tweak their own settings to profile, and it helps Mike Scuffham, one of the good guys.