Posts by professortweed

Really liked your profile. I've just done some housekeeping and put 178 keeper profiles (only about 20 of these are Kemper ones) on to a memory stick and have cleared out all my 1000 odd profiles (by hand), leaving only Armin's 57 Deluxe ones which I bought in Jan. I then downloaded a few of my own profiles from Rig Exchange and a couple of new ones, one of your Fuchs' and one of the 62 Bluesbreaker. Both are 5 star sounds. I'm going to try and discipline myself to limit myself to 50 rigs on the KPA.

One weird thing I found. What prompted me to do my housekeeping was I was convinced there was a corrupt rig somewhere as the sound of some rigs would sometimes go crap, 'metallic and boxy' to reuse a phrase used in a thread in January. I also noticed that on my rig 'Deluxe Cranky' whenever I selected it there would be this ripple of static in the sound. That certainly wasn't there for the month after I'd profiled it. I downloaded the version I'd put on rig exchange and no static.

Don't worry about star ratings. I've got a one star for my overdriven showman! Really difficult speaker to profile. Utah 4x12 in a pyramid configuration. Need to record it about 18 inches away but I figured that would be no good for KPA so I tried close to the grill. Probably need to take the grill off and close mic one of the individual speakers.

I'm going to have a four hour session profiling in a local recording studio tonight and hopefully will come out with some good profiles of a couple of my old amps and some useful tips on refining. One thing I've picked up from and44 is to make sure you're still playing when you press 'finish'. I've done the opposite and let the note die out before doing this.

Thankyou for these. I've tried the Bassman, 1957 Twin, AC 30, 1969 Super Reverb. All great. Definitely intend to make a donation.

A couple of questions about the profiling process.

1. Did you have to refine a lot to get an accurate match between Kemper and the reference amp?

2. I notice you have quite a high clean input sensitivity (7.9 compared to Mats' 2.0). Did you find that the amps sound different when you go into them via Kemper than when you play straight in. It's just that I've noticed quite a big volume boost when I go in via Kemper and I have to dial my clean sens down to zero. I think there is some data about this in the post about spdif output levels.

I have found this too when profiling amps. A very hot sound is going out of the direct out and I don't like it. I deal with it by altering the input sensitivity settings and inserting 'the pot' pedal between the kemper and the amp. I really would like the sound from my amp via Kemper direct out to be the same as it is when I go direct into it with my guitar.

master eq doesn't work with KPA headphone input. I don't like using phones connected to the KPA because of the harshness you refer to. Phones sound OK though when I plug them into my soundcard.

I attenuated the amp right down to about 9 o'clock on the 'studio' setting and then mic'd it. This wasn't really part of the experiment as I didn't want to piss my neighbours off with profiling but actually I think it shows you can get good clean profiles through an attenuated amp. The real experiment is (a) what sensitivity settings to use so that sound from kemper into amp matches sound from guitar direct into amp and (b) what I have to do in refining to get an accurate copy of my reference amp - without the 'Kemper donut'. I think it's done OK for a clean profile and I hope to try it out in a studio to make an accurate capture of the various degrees of break up and saturation you get with a deluxe once you pass volume at 3. In a studio I won't use the attenuator and I'll have the added advantage of monitoring in a separate room from my amp. I have found that the Motherload is a very good attenuator but the sound changes once you attenuate on the 'studio' setting, especially with overdriven sounds. I think this is common to all attenuators.

I've uploaded this experimental profile prior to my going to a studio to do proper profiles of my tweed deluxe (also doing my bit to us hitting 1000 profiles on Rig Exchange!). I've profiled this amp with volume on 2.5 but with it attenuated substantially through a motherload elemental. I've had problems with getting the sound of my amp via Kemper the same as it is when I plug straight into it. This explains the rather odd sensitivity settings. I also reduced the volume going into the amp with a pedal called 'the pot'.

Another problem I've had is the Kemper's tendency to cut out lower mids in the profile. I took Per's advice and played for a good ten minutes during refining. I played along to the first three songs on 'Marquee Moon' hence the name of this profile. At the end the profile was pretty close to the reference amp.

1. Kemper editor.
    2. Save profiled stomps as fx so can be used in front of amps. I'd love to try the Red Llama clone and Tchula in front of the Morgan, 65 Deluxe and Lancer profiles.
    3. Have a think about the profiling process. I've found that when I get the initial profile it's always lacking some low mids compared with the reference amp (the so-called 'Kemper Doughnut') and I have to refine about six times to get the kemper profile sounding 95% like the reference amp. I've not yet managed 100%.