Posts by Rob

I saw the presentation of the L3t at the NAMM, but didn't know that they're out already. The specs sound nice, but 26kg would be too heavy for me to carry around all the time. At least for a monitor solution.

I think two of these + sub would also make a nice PA system for smaller venues. Right now we're using 2x db Opera 602D + subs which are although not as powerful as the L3t a really portable system especially since the Opera tops only weigh about 12 kg @ 600W each !!!

You probably won't find anything reasonable for this price. At least as far as you are looking for stage monitors. Maybe in the used market, but even there 250,- EUR for one is not much. Maybe buy a used one for 500,- first and the other one later when you have more money left.

Yes, just download the KPA Reference Manual. It lists and explains all the stomps and effects that are available on the KPA.

In summary the stomps and effects are:

Wah effects:
    Wah Wah
    Wah vowel
    Wah phaser
    wah comb filter

EQ
    Compressor
    Booster
    (Lead Boost, Treble Boost etc.)
    Distortion stomps (Fuzz, Muffin, Green etc.)
    Delay (Tap, Analog and Free Delay)
    Reverb (Hall, Ambience, Room)

Modulation effects:
    Chorus
    Flanger
    Phaser
    Vibrato
    Rotary Speaker

Actually, I think there are a few people on the board running this at the moment. The software for the uC has previously been used and tested with the Axe Fx (you could use the Line6 Shortboard also to control the AxeFx with this interface).

The whole thing is converting the proprietary Line6 protocol into a standard MIDI one. For this task you need a micro controller with some software to interface between the Line6 and Midi. As a micro controller an Arduino 1280 EVM is used (about 25 EUR).

The controller board from mDan is interfacing between the Line6 Shortboard, MIDI and the Arduino micro controller (opto-coupler, signal levels etc.). Also the software for the micro controller is from mDan.

So the set up is as follows (ignore dots):

Line 6 Shortboard ---(RJ45)---> mDan's Interface Board ---(MIDI)---> Kemper KPA
    .................................................................... /\ ....................................................................
    .................................................................... || ....................................................................
    .................................................................... \/ ....................................................................
    ......................................................Arduino 1280 uC EVM

So you need:
    - Shortboard
    - mDan's Interface Board
    - Arduino 1280 uC
    - power supply, 9V
    - RJ45 and MIDI cable
    - some kind of housing or case to put in the uC and the interface board.

Alternatively, you can directly include the Arduino and the Interface Board into the Shortboard.

So I think some basic handicraft skills in electronics are necessary to fulfill the job, but then you will be rewarded with an inexpensive controller with lot's of functionality and nice stomp pushbuttons.

I'm sure this has been addressed, but can you put these in the stomp section of the kemper? Are they just considered amps when you load them? What's the deal?

No, they are just like a profiled amp. I profiled the sound of my amp with the stomp box switched on and the Kemper captured the sound very good. Only if I turned on the compression section of the stomp the KPA couldn't reproduce it right, which is actually quite understandable. But I mean, you can add a compressor afterwards in the KPA also.

But sure, a dedicated functionality of profiling stomps would be really nice.

I had an M13 and sold it when I bought the Kemper. I didn't use the M13 for distortion, but for Reverb, Delay and Modulation since I didn't like the distortion EFX of the M13. I hate when you have to step through large menus and sub-menus to create a sound, so this was actually the reason I bought the M13. Finally I was able to adjust sounds quickly at a rehearsal or even live.

Then the Kemper KPA came.

I really like the reverb section of the KPA. I think it's a lot better than the reverbs of the M13. I didn't like the reverbs of the M13 so much.
    Like posted above there are not as many modulation or synth effects, nor as many delays but the effects that are implemented are of good quality. And their number will surely rise with the next versions of the Kemper OS. By the way, a wah effect exists, also.
    The standard modulation effects that I sometimes use are included (like phaser, flanger, tremolo) and these special EFX and synths of the M13 I didn't use anyway.

And the usability of the KPA is at least as good if not better. You can adjust the main parameters of Modulation, Reverb and Delay directly without going into any menu. For detailed adjustments just hit the button of the effect and you have 5 big LED collar knobs to adjust all the parameters. Perfect!

So for me it was an easy decision to ditch the M13.

I have got the THON case for gigs as shown above. It's sturdy, light and the KPA fits smoothly inside.

For transporting it to rehearsal or other locations I also have this cheap Gator Bass Drum Pedal Bag.
    It's just 20,- EUR at Thomann and built quite well for the price. Also the KPA fits nicely inside, the knobs are showing to the top side which makes them not so vulnerable although especially this side is cushioned really well.

[Blocked Image: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_CTCSjuLT74/T4mZ31rB0BI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/JM3-4Yu02Z0/s720/IMGP2275_small.jpg]

I've got the controller EVM from mDan, but am using a different controller right now. Still have one of the boards and all the major ICs that are soldered onto it. So if anybody is interested contact me via PM.

- Rob

some of my favorites:
    Vibrolox 2 x 10 by toneclone (same)
    Fireball Crunch and Metal (R-A-P-H)
    TILLS JVM 2 MICS 9
    JCA20H (JonnyG) I think this one is not on rig exchange but on the forum
    Alchemy Punch (Rafport) with Till's Cabs

I think people that buy an at least 630,- EUR smartphone and are not willing to spend the money on the KPA should maybe think over their priorities.
    Especially when you consider the fact that buying a good tube amp will also cost you 700,- EUR or more. And then you get only one amp, just a tiny bit of the flexibility of the KPA and you don't have EFX yet.
    Comparing to the AXE FX the KPA is a steal!

I share the opinion that a generell rating system is difficult and even a little dangerous. Remember, we are not talking anymore about how good a certain modeller or amp software is at reproducing a tone. The KPA nails it pretty good in most cases and just reproduces someone´s taste in tone. Blues players will tend to rate a metal tone too harsh while metal guys will rate moody blues tones too mellow.

I totally agree to this one. Additionally a rating system favors the rigs that have already been rated good, which means people won't even bother to try new infamous rigs.
    Maybe a rating system or just a like / dislike function combined with different categories of styles would do the trick.

At the moment I'd be happy if there were like 5 categories of sound types to choose from so I could distinguish among sounds before putting them on the KPA.

Hey, thanks Bill !
    Maybe I could combine some amp rig with the Big Muff stomp of the KPA.
    I know that the sound is actually made with a Clavinet but I need something that gets kind of close to the sound.

Hey folks,
    I need the guitar sound from the song Superstition by Stevie Wonder. Any ideas what profile / amp would fit best for this song?

Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

so I finally decided to buy the Thomann THON case for carrying my KPA to gigs and back. I just think this is the safest way to transport it.

But for transporting the KPA to my rehearsal room or just in my car I wanted something lighter like a soft bag. So I checked out the Gator Bass Drum Pedal Bag. It's just 20,- EUR at Thomann and built quite well for the price. Also the KPA fits nicely inside, the knobs are showing to the top side which makes them not so vulnerable although especially this side is cushioned really well.

Here are some pictures I took:
    [Blocked Image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2Dwx-srmEnI/T4ma8B8hOxI/AAAAAAAAAtg/eUyqCXt_5mw/s720/IMGP2274_small.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_CTCSjuLT74/T4mZ31rB0BI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/JM3-4Yu02Z0/s720/IMGP2275_small.jpg]

[Blocked Image: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Zl0lK3MBtY0/T4mZ52qgaaI/AAAAAAAAAtY/ZfK8kE2ePpc/s720/IMGP2279_small.jpg]

I finally decided on getting the QSC K12. It's quite compact, not too heavy (although there are still lighter alternatives) and sounds really good.
    It also has plenty of power for my needs and I like the fact that it has two separate inputs so I can run the KPA monitor out as well as my background vocals into it on small gigs. This saves me from carrying a second monitor box for vocals on these occasions.