Posts by kpahuitsing

Just don't have the correct "gender" and type available to do from my PC...just the captures above. I suspect it's an incompatibility with the HS USB out.

?? you don't have a cable to connect your HX to the PC, but you *do* have a cable to connect the HX to the Player? that puzzles me? (because that would be the exact same type of cable in both cases !)

when the HX is a USB-class MIDI device, it should be able to connect the HX to the Player by using a standard USB A<->B cable (sometimes called a 'USB printer cable') In that case the Player should act as a USB-MIDI host to the HX.

note: from the descriptor-dump you posted, it appears that the HX should do class-compliant MIDI, so it should work tm

it's all in the Player's manual: https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

Restoring Backups

This option restores a backup from your USB flash-drive to the PROFILER Player. If multiple Player backups are stored on that stick, the latest backup found will be restored. Note that restoring a backup will overwrite all data and settings on your Player. To perform a restore of your latest backup, please plug USB flash drive into your PROFILER while it’s unpowered. Press and hold BANK, FX 1, and FX 2 buttons while powering on. The Player will restore and restart

You can power the Lehle via USB by using the USB socket on the Lehle instead of the power socket.

I’m powering my Lehle from my Stage via USB and it works flawlessly

the Lehle pedal should even work solely connecting a USB A-B cable and using USB MIDI (so with a single cable, without a TRS (!))

Unfortunately it seems the pedal only sends USB MIDI 'expression' control messages, which is not received on the Player. The Lehle pedal would have to send other controller numbers to make it work purely over MIDI.

Wow, Thanks kpahuitsing
    Here is the USB device descriptor file.

hmm... that USB descriptor looks OK, nothing strange going on there: this should work on the Player (as well as other models) Next thing would be to find out whether maybe the Ampero is causing a MIDI loop. This is tricky, we will discuss this internally and try to find a solution or work-around for this.

maybe the problem is with Ampero's USB implementation. Could you provide us a so called USB device descriptor? This can be created easily on a Windows computer by using this tool :

Thesycon - USB Descriptor Dumper Tool

note : of course it is impossible for Kemper to solve issues with all external problematic USB midi devices, but we can try to investigate this a bit further.

several external USB midi controllers have been reported to work fine, as well as several USB to DIN interfaces.. the Profiler's USB midi host function is functioning just fine for those.

no!

that might be true for your Airstep, but in this cause it is wrong advice!

The ESI USB to MIDI interface is a *USB device*, so it has to be *hosted*, so it has to be connected to the 'A' port of the Player !

This works.. it has been tested and verified with several MIDI interfaces. In this case maybe the DIN IN&OUT are swapped.

Furthermore: the MC8 seems to have a 'B' port too... did you try to connect a USB A<->B cable (a.k.a 'printer cable'). From the specs I read that it even can be powered through that connector.... this should be the preferred way of connecting the MC8 anyway.

Most of the recent control gear has a USB device port (=a USB B or a micro/mini port). The PROFILER can host those devices, and it is much more conveniant than DIN MIDI because IN&OUT cannot be swapped, and you don't need a seperate power cable.

Because of these discussions people might get the impression USB midi is problematic, but in reality most of the time it will 'just work'

OK.. so it seems Airstep you are using doesn't work. Other Airstep types seem to function OK, and other brands seem to function OK.

again: there is a big chance that your Airstep is creating a MIDI loop !

you didn't report back if your Airstep works when connecting 1 DIN cable only (and using a UM-ONE which you seem to have available ) When this doesn't work either.. the problem is definitely with the Airstep.

again: we cannot debug or solve all external problematic non-Kemper products.

maybe now the moment has arrived that you should try to contact the manufacturer of Airstep, and solve this.

Does it work with Xsonic Airstep?

When I plug my Airstep (using USB C to USB A cable) and power up the Player, it stops booting process with 14 white LEDs on and the last one blinking.

Is my Player defective?

to me it looks like the Airstep is creating a MIDI loop via USB then... or maybe something goes wrong with the USB enumeration.

On another thread a user reports that an Airstep lite firmware was needed to get it going :

So it seems to me the Airstep has firmware issues.

Unfortunately it's not feasible for us to debug all possible external non-Kemper gear problems.

It would help if we would get a so called 'USB descriptor dump' from your Airstep.

kpahuitsing does Player route MIDI between the USB A and USB B ports?

Some here may ask why would I want that. Consider this scenario:

1. Plug a Softstep2 (or any other pedal-type MIDI controller) into USB A
    2. Plug an iPad into USB B
    3. Load Camelot Pro, BandHelper or forScore on the iPad
    4. Use the iPad app to operate a set list, and select Rigs per song
    5. Select next song or scene using Softstep2 footswitches

If Player routes MIDI, this could be workable.

Yes: the scenario you describe here will work already, and doesn't need routing.

all of the MIDI inputs (USB-A , USB-B) are merged, and can be used to control the player at the same time.

USB midi is supported on both USB connectors. The PROFILER models can act as USB device as well as USB host.

So: you can connect

- USB midi to a PC

- USB midi to a tablet or mobile phone

- USB midi to a foot controller

- USB midi to a converter to get DIN midi

these all works fine

hassle free integration? : USB midi is not different than DIN midi in this respect: as with all equipment: one has to take the time to master it. With some external control gear it is needed to configure correct settings, which may not always be easy or trivial.

USB midi when using an external controller has 2 big advantages:

1 = only one cable instead of three, (in, out, powersupply) and no problems with wrongly plugged IN or OUT

2 = power supply over the same cable, and need to externally power the controller

The PROFILER's USB midi host capabilities / connector are actually a very nice, and in much cases, better alternative to legacy DIN connections.

Airstep works OK with Stage, but not Player.

this would be very strange... Stage and Player share the same codebase for USBMIDI, and MIDI processing, and don't differ in this area.

Today we've verified here internally as a reference, just to be sure: switching rigs on the PLAYER through USB-MIDI with ProgramChange 1..50 works as expected for the USB-A port as well as the USB-B port.

If this doesn't work with the Airstep, the suspicion is with the configuration or operation of the Airstep :-\

Maybe.

I have tried CC 50 - 54 and random numbers throughout.

Tried PC random numbers throughout.

Can someone share the correct numbers for selecting Rig1 in any bank?

just checked again: UM-ONE definitely works fine. Just send PC 1..50 to select a rig.