Posts by kpahuitsing

Does it work with Xsonic Airstep?

When I plug my Airstep (using USB C to USB A cable) and power up the Player, it stops booting process with 14 white LEDs on and the last one blinking.

Is my Player defective?

to me it looks like the Airstep is creating a MIDI loop via USB then... or maybe something goes wrong with the USB enumeration.

On another thread a user reports that an Airstep lite firmware was needed to get it going :

So it seems to me the Airstep has firmware issues.

Unfortunately it's not feasible for us to debug all possible external non-Kemper gear problems.

It would help if we would get a so called 'USB descriptor dump' from your Airstep.

kpahuitsing does Player route MIDI between the USB A and USB B ports?

Some here may ask why would I want that. Consider this scenario:

1. Plug a Softstep2 (or any other pedal-type MIDI controller) into USB A
    2. Plug an iPad into USB B
    3. Load Camelot Pro, BandHelper or forScore on the iPad
    4. Use the iPad app to operate a set list, and select Rigs per song
    5. Select next song or scene using Softstep2 footswitches

If Player routes MIDI, this could be workable.

Yes: the scenario you describe here will work already, and doesn't need routing.

all of the MIDI inputs (USB-A , USB-B) are merged, and can be used to control the player at the same time.

USB midi is supported on both USB connectors. The PROFILER models can act as USB device as well as USB host.

So: you can connect

- USB midi to a PC

- USB midi to a tablet or mobile phone

- USB midi to a foot controller

- USB midi to a converter to get DIN midi

these all works fine

hassle free integration? : USB midi is not different than DIN midi in this respect: as with all equipment: one has to take the time to master it. With some external control gear it is needed to configure correct settings, which may not always be easy or trivial.

USB midi when using an external controller has 2 big advantages:

1 = only one cable instead of three, (in, out, powersupply) and no problems with wrongly plugged IN or OUT

2 = power supply over the same cable, and need to externally power the controller

The PROFILER's USB midi host capabilities / connector are actually a very nice, and in much cases, better alternative to legacy DIN connections.

Airstep works OK with Stage, but not Player.

this would be very strange... Stage and Player share the same codebase for USBMIDI, and MIDI processing, and don't differ in this area.

Today we've verified here internally as a reference, just to be sure: switching rigs on the PLAYER through USB-MIDI with ProgramChange 1..50 works as expected for the USB-A port as well as the USB-B port.

If this doesn't work with the Airstep, the suspicion is with the configuration or operation of the Airstep :-\

Maybe.

I have tried CC 50 - 54 and random numbers throughout.

Tried PC random numbers throughout.

Can someone share the correct numbers for selecting Rig1 in any bank?

just checked again: UM-ONE definitely works fine. Just send PC 1..50 to select a rig.

the Roland UM-ONE definitely works with the Player (and several other USB<-> MIDI converters too)

your tests show that the airstep is transmitting some sort of MID messages to the UM-ONE, but the Player doesn't react to those..

Most probably the messages aren't the ones the Player is expecting. (i.e.: wrong PC or CTL number, or maybe even a wrong message type at all?)

the UM-ONE has been verified to be compatible with the Player.

Maybe the Airstep is causing a MIDI loop? You can try to connect only one direction:

Airstep(MIDI out) --> (MIDI In)UM-one <--> (USB)Player

(so leave UM-ONE's MIDI out unconnected)

you say: 'none' worked... so the 2nd try was:

XXX -> MIDI -> USB -> PLAYER ?

and this didn't work? how/what did you test?

(because that is basically the same scenario Burkhard and others describes and tested successfully)

knock88:

generally the procedure is:

- press WPS button on the Fritzbox

- press WPS button on the Stage

and the connection should be established (note: this can take a while... and if it doesn't work on the first try, maybe try again)

please contact support if it doesn't work out for you