Posts by JonnyG

LOL, I just replied to you and reported you instead....grrr, this is driving me nuts.

What I was going to say is that it's badly designed isn't it. Also, sometimes when I log-in it then tells me I'm not logged in and sends me back to the kemper main site where it says I am logged in and then goes round and round in circles.

I'm not missing the point.
    The best way to make a Profile is by using a mike, not the DI.

I realise you have a vested interest in this because you are a reseller. I am looking at this from a completely objective perspective, I bought and paid for the thing so I have no axe to grind one way or the other, but if something is different I will say it is different. I'm no going to pretend that this unit is the same as an amp to play, because it isn't. It's close, but it's not the same.

and by the way, did I mention THEY SOUND THE SAME

Over and out.

Is the Profile made with a microphone?

No. Lance, read the following on the kemper website FAQ page. I think you are missing the point here. Also don't forget that I said they SOUND THE SAME it is the feel that is different.

Can I profile just my pre amp?
    Yes you can! Instead of feeding the microphone signal back, simply plug the effect send output of your amp head into the Return of the KPA. When you profile just the pre-amp, the virtual cabinet is without content, so you will not hear any difference when you switch it on or off.
    When you connect the Main Outputs or the Monitor Output of the KPA with the effect return jack of your amp head, you will get the same sound as you get with your real amp. If you don't want to reconnect to your original amp, then simply choose a cabinet from another profile in the Kemper Amp.

and by the way, this is taken from the FAQ page on the kemper website

Can I profile just my pre amp?
    Yes you can! Instead of feeding the microphone signal back, simply plug the effect send output of your amp head into the Return of the KPA. When you profile just the pre-amp, the virtual cabinet is without content, so you will not hear any difference when you switch it on or off.
    When you connect the Main Outputs or the Monitor Output of the KPA with the effect return jack of your amp head, you will get the same sound as you get with your real amp. If you don't want to reconnect to your original amp, then simply choose a cabinet from another profile in the Kemper Amp.

Of course they should sound the same, they are both going through the same power amp. Think about it, the Real amp is going through the hotplate then into the kemper and then out to the full range amp and then into the 1x12 cab, and when I switch to the kemper amp after profiling, the path to the cab is the same !

As I said before, they "sound" the same, but they "feel" completely different !

With what poweramp?

How did you Profile the amp without the cab?

Please remove the reverb from the MP3. :D

For a poweramp I used an FET full range amp to drive the cab.

To profile an amp without a cab you need a load box. My real amp goes directly into the THD hotplate and the line out from the THD hotplate goes back to the kemper line input (next to the mic input). You then get a profile of the amp without the cab, and if you switch the cab button on or off it makes no difference to the sound.

...that's why you're only at 50%... If you want to make a fair comparison try running the profile back in to the real cab (do you have some sort of power amp?) and you should get back the missing part

I did exactly that as a test. I ran the kemper out to my 1x12 Celestion G12H. The profiled version definitely did not have as much feel as the real amp. With the real amp the sustain of the notes is more. If I use a just breaking up sound, in the real amp the notes ring out much longer than the profiled amp (and I have the noise gate off), and when I dig in to the real amp there is a big difference. The tonal quality is the same, but the feel and sustain are very different.

I just tried using the kemper as the guitar CAB only. Here is my Jet City JCA20H head straight into THD Hotplate and then the line out from that into the alternative input on the back of the Kemper. I just picked a kemper rig at random and switched off the kemper amp so I'm just using the CAB.

Mp3Here

I've been so busy messing about with the kemper that I haven't even bothered to change my strings since I got the thing and they do sound like very old strings as they don't have that "sizzle". Anyway, I think it sounds great using it this way. I profiled the JCA20H this morning too (just the amp without the cab). Although the profile sounded similar, in the feel department it was only about 50% there of the real tubes.

Yes, I have exactly the same problem, no sound from the monitor output at all. I sent an email to support and got this reply:

and I quote:

"Dear jon,
    unfortunately the guys who knoe how to upgrade you are
    attending NAMM show this week.

Please bare with us, we will process your
    request asap!

In the meantime have fun with the product!"

Not very encouraging is it, the main man goes out and no-one else can help !

edit: they also answered a question that I didn't ask. I know how to upgrade the firmware, I asked how to fix the monitor out !