Posts by XpennoKPA

Yes. As other people here, I own an AxeFX Ultra. It's biggest flaw has always been the IR size/cab block. I've been working with IR's since 2002 (mostly rooms back then), and every time I A/B the "high resolution" 1024 point IR (23ms) in the AxeFX with my original (ten times larger) it's so inferior. It's mostly nuances of course but still, getting the nuances right is the last piece of the puzzle, right?

How's that for a first post? :)

Great to see you over here Jocke!

Has one of you had the chance to make a real judgement about different IR sizes?
    The real comparison of IR sizes can only be done by listening to two IR's that are supposed to create the same frequency responce, but have different sizes.

Experience anyone?

As Armin said, in the AxeFX Ultra you could switch between a 512 point and 1024 point version of a user IR in the cab block. To me there was a feel difference in the way that the IR handled the very high and low-end of the tone. The higher point IRs seemed to feel tighter in the low-end and had an extended top-end.

I have also tested by running my AxeFX without a cab sim into a DAW running IRs from Redwirez at full length vs a lower resolution version of the same IR. When you switch from one to the other there is a noticeable difference between the two. The higher resolution version sounded like it had more space around it, it's hard to describe but noticeable when comparing side-by-side.

I am not an expert in the field of IRs, not even a novice, but the higher resolution IRs felt/sounded better to me.

Thanks

Spencer

Agreed with the others that it could be a headphone related issue. I still think that you should be able to get a good tone even on lower quality headphones. My tips would be

Try Tyler's Cabs out, there are a large selection of different mic positions here, thus they will affect your tone to a great degree. Find one that's close to your taste and tweak form there.

From the tone controls for the amp, I usually find myself removing some on the treble and a little on the presence. If you are going for Jazz and Blues tones you made need to reduce one or both of these substantially.

You could also try adding some compressor and power sag in the advanced amp settings.

Hope this helps

Spence

Yes, you are right - but the Kemper people mentioned in another thread that the KPA does NOT use any IR's at all - not in the amp block and not in the cab block.

So there is no need to increase anything.

(Check the 'KPA = Old tech?' thread for more about this)

Agreed, I started this thread before CK gave us this info. I could be closed really as it's not relevant.

Spence

Hey man,

just wondered what technique you used to profile the direct version of this? It sounds so good with Tyler's cabs that it might be worth people created a direct profile with each amp they make, this would give us more options when messing around later on :) any info would be cool.

Spence

I think it would be cool if there was an option to preview profiles directly from USB without having to fully import them. I've only had my Kemper for a few weeks and it's filling up with profiles, many of which I may not use in the future. I have to admit that this is by no means a deal breaker here, just a nice functional tweak if possible :)

Thanks

Spence

Hey Tony - Loved your review & video of the KPA!

Fellow board members: Many of the threads I select to view here are coming up blank ?( I've tried many different browsers to no avail - Anyone esle having this problem? (I posted here because the same problem prevents me from starting a new thread) This is frustrating... Please PM me if you have any suggestions!

PS: I also can't introduce myself in the 'introduce yourself' thread :cursing:

Welcome Radley, great to see you here I loved your informative posts over at the AxeFX forum, a wealth of knowledge indeed :)

With regards to the forum, it's working ok here on Chrome, Firefox and IE. It could be down to browser security settings, you could try adding to trusted sites or similar. Are you PC or MAC?

Spence