Posts by XpennoKPA

Please explain deeper, what kind of description about the filters you will need.

Firstly this is a great idea, I think that this is a missing feature from the Kemper.

With regards to High and Low pass filters I usually like the options for a 0db (off), 6db, 12db and 24db per octave filter curve as well as the ability to set the desired frequency.

I think that it would be great to maybe have this as a new FX, blocking filter or something, but also have these added added as frequency bands to the Studio EQ and Output EQ modules (especially for the monitor output EQ) as well.

In fact taking that last thought, would it be possible to have the option of switching the two global EQs (Main Out and Monitor Out) between amp style EQ and Studio Style EQ? This would just add some extra options between the 2 outputs.

Cheers

Spence

Thanks for all of the answers guys, really appreciate it! I'll try and answer some of the resulting questions below

Some of the merged stuff sounds a little strange but I'm now wondering if this is an issue with the cabs at the rehearsal studio. I've just unpacked my 2x12 and will be bringing it along with me tonight to see if that resolves the issue. Another possibility is that the poweramp in the powerhead could be adding something to try and emulate a tube amp or something. I have a QSC power amp that I can try as well and see if the problem persists here.

I was previously getting unfavourable results with the direct profiles as well but will try them with my cab tonight. At the moment I'm kind of with Skyhighrocks in that overall the tone of the studio profiles seems to have more feel or magic!

Through my studio monitors at home I get a great sound and no extra bass so this is why I wanted to use these versions as this is key but I like decent sound onstage too and prefer a real guitar cab, although I've not rules anything out at this stage and FRFR is something I'm considering again with the general high quality of profiles available these days.

I don't think the profiles sound thin until I have to remove so much bass on the direct monitor out EQ to remove the woof

My monitor out has the cab disabled and it's my understanding that the monitor out is the one connected to the speaker out of the powerhead so I should be good to go with the cab maker and EQ.

I don't expect the studio profile with cab driver and a direct profile to sound the same but in general they seem to have something more about them.

Thanks again, I'm hoping that it's just the cabs to the studio so will report back after rehearsal tonight.

When using some of the more gain laden profiles from these sets through my powerhead into a standard guitar cab I'm getting a sort of woofing on the lowend. I presume that it's either proximity affect from the microphone that the profiler is unable to remove as part of the cab maker or something similar. I'm finding that simply lowering the bass on the monitor output helps to a degree but you lose some of the richness of the tone. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this and if they had a way to help reduce it. I thought about adding a compressor after the amp/cab but didn't really want to mess with the direct sound.

We have no evidence or audio clips from a single user showing that merging does not work correctly.
    There is a thread going on about this issue, but I have yet to understand what is talked about :)

The way of merging has not changed technically or sound-wise since version 2.8.
    We are not investigating any issues at the moment.

Thanks for responding Christoph. This is not necessarily an issue with merged profiles. It seems to be with the new firmware that supports merged profiles and running the monitor out via a guitar cab (powerhead). If you want to hear a highly exaggerated version of the sound then search for "JCM 800 CRUNCH" on the rig exchange, load the profile up and run via a powerhead/rack into a cab. It sounds like metal rattling around or a blown tube. I've also heard this on other profiles merged and studio to a lesser extent.

Thanks

Spence

Tried these profiles through my amp/cab setup tonight and they are some of the best on the RE. They're dynamic and really natural sounding and feeling, superb!! I look forward to testing them direct tomorrow.

Thanks so much for sharing them.

After trying these ones I went through some of your other profiles as well and there are so many other great ones on RE, they'll be making my favourites for sure!

Thanks for trying the profile out at least it's cleared it up a little. I did send a backup file to kemper with that rig on and told them which profile as well and I assumed they would have tried it before telling me to send it to them for repair.

I suppose it still doesn't explain why I heard the same sound on a commercial profile which I assume would be all ok on other people's kemper.

It's kinda annoying that I was told to send it away if it's not needed

Yeah, I've heard it on some other profiles as I said. It could just be that these profiles are in some way incompatible with FW3 or it could be a bug in FW3.

Just tried it with and amp cab setup and it sounds crappy on mine as well. I've heard this same sound (like a rattling old tube) on a few profiles post FW3, no idea what causes it but some profiles it's more noticeable and some it's not. Better off sending the profile over to Kemper and seeing what they say. It's really strange and could certainly be a FW bug.

Good news is that your KPA is probably OK.

I've found that many DA profiles exhibit a strange high end ringing or buzzing, almost as if there was something rattling or loose inside the KPA. This has been my experience since the experimental FW 2.8 and is still evident in many of the new factory profiles. I'm away from my KPA for a while so can't do any in-depth testing, but would appreciate any others' experiences. This is going into my Marshall 1936 2x12 and my Matrix NL12.

Yeah I've heard this, I generally notice it at bedroom level but it goes away (or is less noticeable) at rehearsal level so I just presumed that it was me running the speakers too low but I'd be interested to hear more.

I found the raw profiles were tight and punchy, but more percussive than djenty for palm mutes. If you want a chug a chug tone, you likely need a boost depending on guitar/pickups/taste. But they respond very well to boosts so you get the best of both worlds

Cheers mate. I've just been doing some side-by-side tests of a real amp, then a model of the same amp but played back through a solid state poweramp. I took a DI out of both after the power amp section and fed the signals into the EQ matching section of Ozone. I found that even though the amp model contains an emulation of the power sections interaction with the cab that it is still not the same and just running the amp into the cab.

Guided by Ozone I used the EQ section for the monitor out on the KPA and scooped the mids by 2db and raised the presence by 1db and now they sound very close. I think it was this mid hump that was annoying me a volume as it makes everything sound flat and take up a little too much sonic space in the band mix. This small scoop just seems to help profile fit in without tweaking each one...

Sounds great man! Really tight. Can't work out form the video but are you using a boost in front of the amp to tighten it up? Also do you find that the DI profile with solid state power amp is tonally the same as the amp running normally or do you find that you have to use some corrective EQ to get back there?

The only reason I ask is that I've been finding that on DI profiles through solid state power amps into guitar cabs that a small mid cut and presence boost is usually required to get them back to 95% the same.

Just some thoughts I'm messing with at present :)

Cheers

Spence

Are you using the Axe-FX for amp sounds much? This is where I'm finding frustration with the Fractal.

I tend to switch between them. Not had my second Kemper that long so still figuring out the best profiles for me. From testing this week I am currently thinking that the Kemper is slightly preferable for FRFR/Direct and Axe for Amp/Guitar Cab. I still don't think that the AxeFX with a Solidstate amp and guitar cab is quite "correct" though and you loose too much flexibility if you disable power amp sims and go into a tube poweramp.

I think the fact that the KPA has baked in amp/cab means that you are using a "Real" signal chain rather than adding an amp model to a cab model that are not related, I still think there might be something intrinsic between the amp/cab that is missing somewhere on the axefx.

To be fair I change my mind on these things far too often so will probably be back on the Axe next week :)

Yes, assigning KPA rigs to Axe presets is what I had in mind. However, I would also like to use at least some of the Kemper's FX. In fact, a preferable solution might be to use the Axe in the Kemper's FX loop rather than the other way around. I haven't fully assessed the pros and cons yet. I guess I won't know the best way of using it until I have a KPA in my hand. There are certain things I like about the Axe II's routing that the Kemper can't reproduce, such as being able to run an amp signal direct to output in parallel with a cab to get amazingly sparkly clean tones.

You may find that you don't need to do tricks like this. There are some fantastic cleans in the Kemper. I just picked up my first M Britt pack (No.2) and the cleans are superb!

You looking to run FRFR or Amp/Cab?

Depends how you are going to be using it I guess. MFC will do a great job but you don't get patch names or tuner. Obviously if you're using the Axe as the primary device then this is not an issue.

Are you looking to use KPA for am tones only?

If so then it will be dead easy to set up. You can just assign a different kemper amp to each Axe patch. It's really easy to do. You could have the same amp in multiple patches as well if required without having to program the MFC.

Hi mate, I'm not doing this specifically but I am controlling the KPA with my MFC without issue. If you run out of the midi thru into the KPA then it should be fine. Not sure how it would all work in AxeFX direct control mode though as I switch this off if using with KPA.

First of all, thanks for checking out my rigs. I save the rigs right after I do the clips so they should be identical. I may tweak the eq a little bit when I use them during live shows but nothing too dramatic, usually a light or two (if you're using the toaster version). It does depend on the guitar and pickups. If I use a guitar with humbuckers, I'll start by increasing the definition in the amplifier settings a little to see if that fixes it and then just do subtle eq'ing. I like seeing my lights towards the middle of the knobs, though. If I need more cut or if I'm VH or 80's type stuff, I'll find a profile that has more cut or I have studio eq module that I throw on before the amp section with a 2 db bump at 200hz and 3-4 db at 1k. It really just depends on the song and where everyone else onstage is sonically. When I'm recording, it's all fair game and I'll twist knobs til it sits where I think it sounds good in the track. I prefer to use profiles that don't take as much eq'ing because too much and it starts sounding weird to my ears. A few db up or down on the eq knobs doesn't bother me though.

I thought that it was probably just down a difference in the raw guitar tone so that's cool. I'll certainly check out the definition (in fact I already had started looking at it after checking out the read me file that goes with the profile pack). I'm with you on the EQ, I've never really liked going too far from noon but as long as you don't move too far away then things stay in check.

Anyway the profiles are rocking here (I went for pack 2 first) so that's cool. I'll pull out my Strat and PRS to see how much things vary from guitar to guitar. Otherwise I might just reset my toaster on just on the off chance that there is a global setting that's out of whack since the latest firmware update.

thanks for the great profiles and thanks for taking the time out to comment, it's really cool!

Not sure if it helps or not, but you can find my updated versions of the Firmware 3.0 rig profiles on the home page of my site (http://www.mbrittprofiles.com) or on the Rig Exchange (just search "britt"). That will help you decide if my profiles work for you before you spend money.

Hi Michael,

I picked up my first of your Rig Packs this evening. I have to say that I'm really enjoying it so far. I've been jamming with a Les Paul and I'm finding that on many of the gain tones that I need to lower the bass usually between -1 & -2 and maybe just add a little treble or presence but the core tones are all in there for sure.

Just out of interest, do you run the profiles pretty much flat for your live shows or are are these the raw profiles and you're dialling them in?

Also, are the clips on your site made using the profiles as they appear in the pack or are they tweaked to your licking?

Thanks for some great profiles I'm sure that I'll be picking up the rest soon.

Cheers

Spence