Posts by multivir1

Hi,

A question for the guys at Kemper - do you have any plans to come out with a KPA in a floorboard form factor?

I love the sound and workflow of my KPA, but to use it live, I need a MIDI floor controller, extra cables etc.
    With the competition of the Line6 Helix, Fractal AX8 & Atomic Amplifire, I'm sure you must have thought of this already.
    Is it close enough so you can give us a hint? :rolleyes:

Thanks,

M.

Hello Kemper Team,

With the Boss OC-3 Octaver pedal you can set a cut frequency, so that only notes below a certain frequency will be octaved.
    This is great to get a decent bass sound on the lower strings, but leave the higher frequencies uncluttered, because there is no octave effect on them.

Here's a good example:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Could you implement that in an upcoming firmware?

Thanks,

M.

Is there a way to set the Octave / Pitch Shifter effect so that it only affects the two bottom strings? I know this can be done with a Boss OC-3 because you can set a "cut frequency".
    I need this to get some bass notes from my lower two strings while comping on the higher strings which should stay unaffected by the Octave / PS effect.

Hi,

Is there anybody on this forum who lives in Switzerland and owns an Atomic CLR who'd let me try his?
    I currently own an FBT Verve and wonder if it makes sense to upgrade...

Thanks,

M.

Where on stage do you place your KPA (Toaster / FRFR)?

I usually ask for 2-3 beverage crates like I used to with my tube combo, so if I have to mess with the knobs, they're accessible.
    Same deal as always - you set things up during the sound check, but during the 1st song you already notice that drum & bass hit it so hard that you can't hear yourself anymore. So behind the stage is no option... When I had an AxeFx, it was on the floor in a rack case with the display facing upwards, so it was somewhat accessible.
    That won't work with the Kemper. The beverage crates work, but in a club situation, they're taking up too much space. So I thought of something like a K&M Tripod / laptop stand. My monitor is on the floor, right in front of me, angled upwards.

How do you guys do it? Pictures appreciated.

Pretty interesting that the Gordius Little Giant didn't get mentioned here.
    Xavier, the guy who invented / produces this controller is also the guy behind the Uno firmware chip.
    His controller offers quite a bunch of options, great build quality, good display, small form factor
    I've had mine since the AxeFx days. Xavier has just recently added Kemper integration / 2 way communication into the Gordius.

check out gordius.be

Cool. I made a similar box a few weeks ago. I run a 7-wire cable from my rack to my LF+ controller. IIRC, my wiring is the same as yours.

You'd think that this is a common enough task that someone would offer these boxes commercially. I spent about twenty dollars on materials. I would have gladly paid seventy or eighty dollars to buy one ready-made.

Same here, I would have bought the finished product if it was available. I think that if it would be made in Shenzen, with the MIDI plugs molded in plastic, you could make it for less than 10$ a piece.

I was contacted via this forum if I could build one. The thing is that with ordering parts for just one more, it's too expensive. If I have ten orders, then I'll do them in one batch. Pricing tbd - current estimation is that it will be around the 80 dollars you mentioned.

Nice... so I had a Little Giant and sold it as Xavier told me that he won't implement support for the KPA.... :(

Almost happened to me too. I didn't because of the lack of real alternatives. I don't really like the Behringer FCB-1010, so I thought "Let's hold on to it until there's a pedal that actually does 2way communication" cause Xavier said that he's not going to implement KPA support, but came up with it a few weeks later. :thumbup:

From the Gordius manual, page 141:

The 7/7 cable has a 7-pins connector at both ends, and has all 7 pins actually
    wired. So it is safe to use this cable with the 2-way communication option. The 7/5 cable has a regular
    5-pins connector plus female power jack at one end.
    It does NOT have pins 1 & 3 wired, so this cable can only be used to combine phantom power with MIDI
    OUT, no 2-way communication is possible with this cable.

Hi guys,

I did a little weekend project. It might be interesting for those of you who have a Gordius Little Giant.
    With the AxeFx (I owned & sold when I got the Kemper), it was possible to transmit power, MIDI In & MIDI Out in one 7-pin cable.
    Unfortunately, that's not possible with the KPA. I hate extra wires, so I came up with a little box that connects to the KPA via two regular MIDI patch cables.
    There's a DC barrel to connect the power supply for the Gordius. Power & signals are connectied to the LG via a single 7pin MIDI cable.

For those of you who want to build one too:

pins 2,4&5 to pins 2,4&5 of a 5-pins "MIDI OUT"
    pins 1&3 to pins 4&5 of a 5-pins "MIDI IN"
    pins 6&7 to a power adapter jack

The pin numbering described in the Gordius manual, appendix B (p.141): http://www.gordius.be/LG_usermanual_v3_0_6.pdf

Thanks a lot to Xavier from Gordius for his help...

Enjoy,

M.

[Blocked Image: http://weilthing.com/KPA/Foto.JPG]

This wasn't my mixer. :)
    I have a small, rather cheap mixer at home that doesn't have the problem.
    The thing is that if you turn down the gain / trim on the mixer completely, you get no signal at all. Once you turn it up a tiny bit, it's already too much.

Let me re-phrase the question: How do you properly deal with a line level signal that is received via XLR?
    I'm not aware of (smaller live) mixers that provide an option to bypass the mixer's internal preamp.

This is your problem. I guess you are using XLR cables. This means u are probably using the XLR inputs on your mixer too. This way you will input your signal into the mic preamps of the mixer. These inputs are designed for mic levels. However, the KPA will send out line levels which can overload your mic preamps.

Use TS or TRS outputs and cables and use the line inputs of your mixer. TRS will give you balanced signals if your mixer supports this.

Correct, I was using an XLR/XLR cable from the KPA to the mixer. As far as I know, there's usually not a way to bypass a mixer's internal preamp when using the XLR input.
    It's not a problem to take a jack cable instead of an XLR next time, but I'd also like to understand the concept of how the KPA's XLR output is meant to be used.

Is the mixer's preamp always bypassed when I use the jack input - no matter if it's a TS / TRS cable?
    Or the other way around - is an XLR to TRS the only "correct" way to use those outputs on the KPA while XLR to XLR is always "wrong"?

Hi,

I have taken my KPA to different rehearsals and noticed that on most mixers I have to turn the gain / trim knob way down, because the output of the KPA is so high.

I am familiar with the volume knob, the master volume and the master menu that lets you set the levels individually, linking volumes to the master etc.

It seems to me that the range between no signal and too much signal is quite narrow, and I'm sure there's a good way to set the levels properly.

- Am I missing an important functionality?
    - In which order do you set the different volumes? Is there an effect on the overall tone?

I'm using the XLR out only, no monitor...

Thanks,

M.

Per,

Would you say that the Ensemble (or Apogee Quartet) is the better choice if you don't care so much about the UAD processing of the Apollo?
    Naturally, the plugin processing is something that I'd use, but so far my 1st generation Apogee duet worked out for most of my home recording needs. Nevertheless, more I/Os and the processing power look tempting.

Currently I don't have a cabled iOS MIDI inteface.

McRalfix - do you have a working setup where the button states of the MIDI CCs are synced both ways?
    (So if you change patches that have a different set of stomps activated, their states are also synced to the iPad inteface)