Posts by okstrat

Just tried the Marshall. Nice job on that! It lacks the crazy high end distortion I hear in most Plexi profiles I've tried so this was a welcome change. Thanks Pete.

Glad you dig it! Try rolling your volume back, it is crazy responsive. I think the ribbon and SM57 together really helped smooth it out without being too dark.I'm going to do my '70 superlead again (the VH clip) with these microphones. I think it should be pretty good.

Pete

Just posted my '72 superlead *not* the VH amp - and my Mesa Mk III Coliseum (180 watts!) blue stripe head.

Info on the profiles: '72 superlead is a mod I've been working on - master volume, not super high gain but as you crank it, you get more tone. I ran the gain dimed and master on 1/4 up, which was loud enough to rattle stuff on the walls. Hey, it's still a 100 watt superlead!

Cool thing about the superlead profile is that it cleans up CRAZY good with a strat. Try it. It almost hits VH territory - can probably sponge it up some more and get closer. This would be a great stage/live profile because it's so dynamic. Set up a boost for lead volume on your Kemper and you could likely stay on one channel for a LOT of tunes.

Mark III Coliseum is a crazy high gain, 5 band EQ with the 'V' setting profile. It's the same amp used on the Whitesnake album with Still of the Night and several other hits. I believe they didn't make over 100 of these, most went to touring groups that needed a lot of power onstage. This amp is L O U D.

Used the same cab and mics on these, for ease of setup and such - an SM57 and an MXL R144. MXL is a $99 ribbon mic you can buy at guitar center. It is REALLY accurate and sounds great, blending the 57 gives more high end and a presence bump to cut through a mix. I set my level with the 57 and then blended in the MXL until it sounded full but not too fat.

So far I like the R144 more than the E609 Silver and the reference mic I tried. It seems to add dimension and depth to the mids...

Pete

I have a few mics to choose from, been wondering what everyone else is using. Here's my list with notes...

SM57 - pretty much the standard. I can hear what one sounds like though, and on most profiles it kinda drives me crazy. This is the mic I used on most of the profiles I've uploaded.

E609 Silver - another popular guitar mic. I don't like it alone, but blended with the SM57 it can give a fuller tone. haven't made a profile with the two yet.

dba Driverack RTA-M mic - this was a suggestion from a guy at my local GC who worked in some LA studios. This mic is VERY flat frequency response and was also about the price of an SM57, so I bought it to try out. I used this mic on my Fender Twin profile I put online. I also did one of my Mesa mark III but it sounded a bit dull. Not so sure about this one yet.

So is anyone using a ribbon mic? Thinking about getting a fathead... what do you guys think?

Pete

3/4 gain, no boost on the amp, Not a ton of gain. However, set it up to work with pedal 'A' - kick that in and it's high gain city. Dipping my toes in the profile exchange world, don't want to just throw all my stuff here yet because I'm not sure it's good enough to include. Comments welcome.

Name of profile is Blues Bogner.

Pete

i encountered a louder hiss when connecting the kpa to a distorted amp. i guess the kpa somehow changes impedance or input level for the amp in. you probably receive radio with your guitar plugged into your amp anyway, but with the kpa in between it gets even louder.

Nope, never got radio just by having guitar plugged in. However, used my wireless and it broke the loop or whatever, works fine. I'll be posting patches soon!

Pete

I have a good wireless unit, I'm going to see what happens if I use it between the kemper and the amp, or between the kemper and the guitar. I tried to model my Mesa Mark III coliseum last night and it was so loud the kemper kept giving an error when running the first set of sounds into the amp.

Pete

Well, I tried to profile again and it wasn't my mic cables, it's the Kemper. here's the deal:

I have my guitar cord going into the Kemper, and the out from the Kemper going to my amp for profiling. When I hook it up to my amp, I get a local AM radio station. LOUD. And if I'm profiling a distorted amp, it's REALLY LOUD.

My cables are good (G&H plugs, Canare GS6 wire). Hooked the Kemper into a monster power conditioner and also the amp I was profiling (Mesa Mark III Coliseum). Amp does not pick up the radio station if I plug a guitar into it, or even a guitar > pedal > amp. if I do a ground lift on the kemper's output, I get a HUGE buzz that is worse than the radio station.

Any ideas? BTW, my home is about 3 miles from the AM station I'm picking up, and it's a 50,000 watt transmitter.

Pete

Love the Kemper. However, I live in an area (or have something funky with my electricity) where when using microphones, I pick up the local AM station. Sometimes really loud. Well, when I model amps with the Kemper that are very loud or distorted, the AM station is loud enough that you can hear it in another room.

I'm guessing this isn't best for amp profiling, but it seems to work ok so far. Any tips or comments on how I can possibly rectify this? If I do the ground lift for the mic cable, I get a hum/buzz that is level, which I figured would be worse than the radio station - at least the radio station varies constantly.

Here's a clip I did, using profiles I took of my 101B Bogner 1/2 stack... it sounded like the 'real thing' but the real thing also had KRMG radio out of it.

http://soundcloud.com/okstrat/bogner-blue-and-red

Heard from Sweetwater, the first shipment should be in tomorrow. However, I'm probably too far back in line. :(

However, Kemper sent a second batch, and I should be good for one of those next week. WOOHOO!

It's been awhile since a piece of gear had me this excited. Should be fun.

Pete

WILLLL it arrive at SweetWater tomorrow (Feb 7th 20twelve) OR NOT??? that is da questiononey.

How can they not know already if the product shipped and is on the way? If I can buy a pack of LEDs on Ebay and track them from China, you would think Sweetwater would know already if they were expecting Kempers.

From what I'm reading and have seen on videos, the Kemper takes a snapshot of an amp with it's settings. In other words, I have a Trainwreck clone that cleans up with the volume knob on the guitar. Just because I took a snapshot of the Trainwreck with the gain cranked does not mean the Kemper is going to behave just like the Trainwreck when I roll my volume back, it's just going to give me the tone I dialled in at capture, with the ability to add more gain or EQ to it later, correct?

So if say I take a snapshot of a high gain amp with the gain on 5, is it reasonable to expect the Kemper to sound like the real amp on 10 if you added more gain to the Kemper's profile it took of the amp?

I'm just trying to get a better grasp on the concept here - it would be better then to dial in a little less gain than you would normally use because you could compensate by adding more within the Kemper later?

Or, would I be better off taking snapshots of an amp at different gain levels even if they were close - say at gain 7,8 and 10 if I might use those when dialling in the real amp live?

Pete

2 possibility:

1- Wait for Sweetwater to get them
    2- Get in touch with Thomann in Germany and order directly from them (Only wire transfer accepted)

Hope we are going soon to see all your profiles!!! :D

Sounds like I need to talk to my salesguy at Sweetwater. And I'll certainly share all the profiles I make - Mesa Mark III Coliseum boogie, Mesa Quad w/ VHT 2/90/2, Bogner 2004 XTC, 1960 Fender Concert, 70s Twin, First year Dual recto rackmount, 70, 72 100 watt superleads, 74 50 watt superlead, 87 JCM 800 50 watt, 18 watt Marshall handwired clone, 100 watt '68 Plexi clone, Mesa Road King, and other amps and cabs. I'm currently using a Axe FX standard live, looking forward to getting a Kemper!