Posts by okstrat

I don't know if it's related but I noticed that in 3.0.2 the software contrast setting for the remote was a bit screwy - When loaded the KPA said contrast was on maximum, but if I adjusted the software setting the contrast would jump, and setting it to half would look the same as the initial value, not the maximum value. Perhaps it was 3.0.2 that had a weird contrast setting and you changed it to compensate, and now it's fixed? On holiday so can't test or explain better without it in front of me sorry!

Excellent, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Still screwed up on my remote, basically my LCD is unreadable. If I adjust the remote and the LCD setting on the Kemper to match and be correct, within 30 seconds or so it changes on it's own to a much lower level that shows all sorts of artifacts in the display. Incredibly irritating on something I've noticed for a few beta firmwares in a row. Guess my next step is to contact Kemper HQ directly. This really sucks and directly impacts my use of the Kemper with the Remote. For $600, even though this is beta software, I've reported it here on the board quite a bit and it's frustrating to not have any official notice of it.

I too noticed that my KPR LCD contract chnaged significantly after the upgrade. I had to actually turn the adjustment knob on the back of the KPR until the LCD display contrast looked correct and then set the system menu setting to match that value. So yeah there is something screwy going on with the new update and the KPR LCD contrast setting for me too. If I don't turn the hard knob on the remote to match the system menu setting I am seeking (128 in this case) it seems to revert after a bit to setting of the knob on the back of the remote. So it seems that you now have to make sure the physical knob on the back of the remote matches the setting you want.

Excellent, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

So Kemper HQ - am I the only one having this issue? I can repeat it at will with my Remote and the 3.1.1, if I downgrade to 3.0 it goes away. This happens if I do not physically move the Remote and the Kemper, it's like it's changing the voltage on the LCD or whatever determines the contrast settings. Again, it happens if I adjust the Remote itself with the physical control, or the setting on the Kemper - after a brief amount of time, it goes back to a low setting.

Pete

<p>

</p>

Pete....did you have the remote connected when you updated the firmware? I did that once before and I had issues. I always disconnect the remote now and then when the firmware is done installing and the kpa is back online, I plug it in. Just a thought

Rich, good thinking. I did have them disconnected when I updated. I haven't seen anyone else have my issues yet, looks like I may be exceptional in a bad way LOL :D

Ugh, running the latest beta and a Remote - the LCD display on the remote screws up like you have the setting too low. If you adjust the display on the LCD with either the control on the remote or through the Kemper Profiler itself, it reverts back within less than a minute.

Remote reset twice at a gig, then was ok other than the display issue above. Anyone else having trouble with Remote and the latest version?

I've put the firmware back to last version (3.0.2) and the display is fine again. Reinstalled the latest beta - and it screws up again.

Pete

Filter caps most likely. I'd take it to a trusted tech or ship it to Mesa for service. A tube issue shouldn't do this. If the filter caps finally blow they will leak electrolytics all over the inside of the amp and that will damage the PCBs. I'd stop using the amp and get it to a tech or Mesa immediately. A recap shouldn't be super expensive but if you have a cap blow and damage the amp further it's going to be MUCH more expensive.

Pete

Mago, a guitar should not feedback when strings are muted :)

Yup. Four things will make a guitar more prone to feedback:

Volume, Gain, EQ and distance/angle from speaker. More mids are going to feed back. I have controllable feedback at my fingertips playing live with a Kemper - but if I mute my strings, it all goes away because my pickups are potted properly. If you get feedback on a guitar with the strings muted, your pickup windings are actually vibrating - that's what potting takes care of.

When someone says "Amp X never feeds back, but the Kemper does" - then you are either running more volume, more gain, more mids in your EQ or your guitar pickups are pointed more towards the speaker you are listening to your Kemper through or you are closer. Or you are running a compressor as an effect in the kemper. That can do it too.

Pete

1 - 10
    2 - 5
    3 - bypassed.

My personal preference is that I like what Pure Cab does: However I think depending on the profile you may want more or less of it. Right now it's a global feature, really should be a way to adjust it per profile. I like it overall though, and you should too. Great addition to the Kemper, kudos to all involved.

Ok,
    I didn't reamp so I played each clip each time, so there are going to
    be minute differences. This isn't consumer reports, I just grabbed my
    Korina McCarty and played the following three times:

A Mark Cameron modded Wizard I profiled (low to medium gain)

A Mike Fortin modded Marshall I profiled (high gain)

and yes, a 1960 Fender Concert I profiled (clean)

All tracks were recorded exactly the same except for amount of pure cab - one clip has it on 10, one on 5, one bypassed.

If
    I was going for ultimate tones I would have changed guitars for the
    high gain and the clean - but this is to show the differences between
    settings and I think it does that. I played the Wizard profile first and
    really dug how the McCarty sounded, so that's what I used for the
    others.

Anyways, here are the three clips on soundcloud.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Pete

Grabbed these over the weekend. Some of the only VHT profiles that even REMIND me of the VHt's I have owned. Haven't had a lot of time with them but so far so good.

I do my best to capture what the amp I have sounds like - like a virtual archive. Glad you're digging these, had a friend over and we played through the VHT I profiled and he noted there was a tonal difference between the UL and the Deliverance he had - they had a lot in common, but there was a difference here and there. Eventually I'll probably obtain and profile a Sig:X and a Deliverance.

Pete

I don't think it's the Altos either, I've used them for live monitoring my Kemper for over three years and I also own QSC monitors that were a LOT more expensive, the Altos sound fine for guitar tones. I bet you're overdriving your board on the PA. Check your output level, I believe mine is around -25db for my live gigs.

I tried to purchase your Wizard pack, entered the code and it says that the code has expired :( . The code is good through all of July, correct?

It should have been and I apologize. I set it up properly in the webpage (I used a freaking calendar!) , so I don't know what to tell you. I just tried it and it failed - so I set it to never end and I'll close it out this weekend.

So... 20 for 20 until Monday AM. Few extra days, sorry about any issues you guys had. As Beldar Conehead would say, consume freely. I'll manually turn the coupon off Monday morning Central Standard Time.

Again, sorry about that!

Pete

Still a few days to do this. Bogner XTC, Bogner XTC anniversary, rare Diezel VH4 built for Slayer, Diezel Herbert, Modded Marshalls by Friedman, Cameron and Wild, stock 70, 72 and 74 Marshalls, '65 AC 30, vintage Fenders, rare Mesas, VHT Ultralead, VHT 100CL, and more.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Killer cover Pete, I dig the interpretation and the tones are perfect, while a bit in the background compared to the keys. I really appreciate the vocals also, they are very close to the original, what a singer you got :)

I also wish to thank you again about the 65' AC30 profiling session, I keep going back to this mighty beast and most other profiles seems a bit pale compared to this monster of tone (except the wizard and the vintage pack). Cherry one the cake : each time I grab another guitar that I did not test on the vox, it will sound incredible without tweaks with a carefully chosen profile.

I'd love an update of this AC30 with pedals if you got the time.

Thanks man, glad you're digging those profiles! I'll have to see what I can do with the mighty AC30. :)

Pete

Live, so not perfect but hey, it's live! Used a Boston tone match profile, all fx are Kemper and guitar track was unmolested by effects other than setting mix level.

Used one of my Mark Cameron modded Wizard profiles for the rhythm and first solo, last solo is Cameron modded Marshall. Both through a Tom Anderson Drop Top shorty. Clip is totally live off the soundboard and mixed post production but no changes were made to guitars - what you hear is what happened, just had to adjust relative levels here and there.