Posts by Radley

Then you should check your methodology for creating profiles. If you hear a unique signature of tone on the KPA in your profiles it must be due to something you are not doing right. Maybe you signal chain when doing profiles is introducing that signature tone you are referring to. If you are sure it is not that you may share a few clips where you demonstrate this comparing the profiles with the real amps.

I have owned the Axe FX II for a year as well and the KPA since January. I did not compare them with each other often but instead with the real amps profiled/modeled because that's what it matters.

MadH,

I have no quarrels with you or anyone else here. In my own personal profiling (which I have done over 150 times at this point), I have noticed that the KPA usually imparts a bit of it's own DNA when I compare the final results - this is not a problem for me because I almost always like the final result once I've tweaked it to my personal preferences. (I am referring to the basic nature of the distortion, as opposed to EQ or Cab matching issues). But I would disagree with anyone who says that the KPA is a totally transparent, tonally neutral sound generation device - and WHO CARES, as long as the tones are usable and pleasant to the ear - I was just making what I felt was an obvious comment about the current state of all the modelers I have tried to date...

Then we agree to disagree - I own both units and compare them often. This was not a dig at either platform, but a simple statement of fact according to my ears.

I would only say this: The KPA is a great piece of gear with excellent sounds, and the Axe-FX II is also a great piece with very different, but also excellent sounds plus the extensive effects. Each unit has it's own unique signature of tone, regardless of what amp is being modeled (sorry, but neither the KPA nor the AXE-FX are neutral sounding devices). Here in America, we believe fair competition serves the customer best, and I believe this particular competition will only make future products better from all competing companies in the fray!

Please understand that the sound of the KPA is no longer an issue (it's sounding great to my ears nowadays) - only the dependability/flexibility of the current firmware. I have so many great Rigs *of my own* to cover any sound I could possibly imagine, but I want to be sure I can run a failsafe system when I'm in front of thousands of people, and knowing every note I play nightly is being recorded to Pro Tools for possible release on a future album...

Send Andy Innes (Andy_i) a Private Message.

He's just come off a 3 month tour of the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France and Monaco...not one problem with his KPA during the entire tour.
    He's been touring the world for 20 years with the Johnny Clegg band.
    He says it's the best live tones he's ever had, and every sound engineer they used throughout the tour agreed.

Lanny,

*I believe you* ;) , and I am a fan of the Johnny Clegg band (and so is Mr. Diamond) I would love to talk with Andy....

Since my KPA takes about 90 seconds to reboot, this is an important consideration for a fast-moving show. Ideally, I would like to be able to randomly switch presets, have my volume pedal (CC#7) always scanned for it's current value whenever switching to another preset, and to have the ability to control the On/Off status of 3 or 4 effects within each preset (via remote midi controller), all in a very failsafe manner...

Do you honestly feel that the current version of KPA firmware is 'gigable', on a pro level?

IOW, do you feel that active program switching, realtime volume changes via CC #7 are *totally reliable* to do a live Arena concert, with or without a backup? If not, please explain why, because I am always open to using my KPA for future touring situations. I have already let CK know that I feel their compression is not quite 'prime time' for clean soloing (a la Boss CS3 or MXR Dynacomp), but I trust this can be addressed in the near future. What say you?

The KPA has it's own standards of operation - they alone can determine what can or cannot be done within it's confines. I say 'take it to the limit', because that's what us creative types do! 8)

I would add that I agree with those who say that sonics and usefulness alone should determine the worth of any 'modeling' device, not the parts list...

Well, I could think of an import funktion to render a cabinet IR into a profile.
    This is theroretically possible. The size of the IR would not matter.

But don't ask me for a date. We have other priorities and plans.

Christoph Kemper

Very Cool! :thumbup:

Quote from Guitartone

lol, the hilarious part of it all is that every guitarist who has owned both the Axe-FX11 and Kemper has sold the Axe-FX11

I haven't. These kinds of over-the-top statements do not benefit Kemper, imho... The KPA is an amazing box of tech, but it still has competition, and that's a *good* thing. Nothing personal Lance - I just think this approach is counterproductive.

Per - It appears we have simply had different experiences with Amp Designer Pro. I'm certainly not here to say it's comparable to the KPA... I just think it's very good to be included with a $500 DAW. I will always much prefer to use my KPA! 8)

You're joking, right?

Not at all - I have recorded some great-sounding tracks & solos using it. (incorporating the typical pre & post EQ techniques I normally use) I have even gotten some cool sounds with Logic's Guitar Amp Pro as well...