Posts by richaxes

My KPA didn't want to turn on, the loading bar would load and I'd get a screen without it staying on forever. I tried holding System while booting (system initializing), tried holding Rig while booting (last rig initalizing), even tried to install the new 1.06 by holding < and > and none of these solutions helped.
    I finally managed to solve the problem by formatting and initing the flash memory (thanks to Armin for the instructions on his site) and now I'm on 1.06 beta, but also I'm extremely disappointed... I thought 1.04 Release was stable??? I'm really starting to lose my temper..

There are two bugs:
    1.) Can be solved with a system-boot. This bug appears everytime when you toggle between two rigs. The first time the rig sounds ok second time it sounds thinner. This one is easy to hear.
    2.) This bug is not that obvious, you can hear it when you play a rig directly after booting and then change to the next rig and back again. The different sound is not that easy to hear but it is there. And it cannot be solved with a system-boot.

I made a test reamping a short riff. First part is right after booting the KPA:
    http://soundcloud.com/rockingguitar/kpa-bug
    Turn up the volume to hear the difference clearly. Which one sounds better to you?

The second one is a lot brighter, has more presence and treble. About which one sounds better, the second one is fizzier but the first one is kinda lifeless. But there is definitely a lot difference between the two clips.

Funny, I just watched the Pulse concert DVD last night, was listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon all day long in my car today :)

I've been thinking a lot if I'd ever raise my opinion on this topic, and finally I've decided to do so. The main reason being the fact that everyone's opinion counts and if you don't give response, what could the people working behind a product learn of? Even more, I'm a KPA owner, too, using the unit daily and being concerned about it's evolution.
    I understand and realize the fact that beta versions are released for testing purposes and shouldn't be taken into consideration when measuring a product's reliability. However, newer and newer beta versions should be always one step ahead of the former one, and not one step behind.
    Currently, I think that the majority of the users are running into different kinds of problems and bugs with the beta firmwares. The scary thing is the variety (and also the seriousness) of these bugs, which also could indicate something really confusing and surprising - do the units out there have different hardware? If so, then I don't even want to think about it what could be there to come...
    Anyways, back on topic. This struggle with the bug fixing and thus creating new bugs looks like a never ending cycle to me. I can just hope that the KPA team starts taking these issues more seriously and maybe even considers working double time on the software issues, because all of this going on with these reliability issues might really hurt the KPA's reputation if not addressed soon enough, imho.
    I'd love if some people from the Kemper Team (or maybe Christoph Kemper himself) would join and encourage us a little that everything that can be done is done to address the hurting issues people are experiencing now.
    But every coin has two sides, and to be fair, I'd also like to add that the KPA is still in its childhood, and even in this stage is really amazing and is bid fair to be one of the biggest thing ever in the market of digital guitar equipment. I also have to say that I'm absolutely impressed with the tones I'm getting from my KPA and I'd never ever consider getting rid of it or getting anything else instead of it. It's just that I'm one of the many people who are concerned about the future of this little box.

As with all modelers / digital guitar equipment, you can't really base an opinion on factory presets / profiles. You really should look into user profiles. The ones I'd start with would be some of the really nice Fender profiles for cleans, Marshall Golub Crunch for that real Marshall vibe, stock Black Cemetery preset for metal stuff (it REALLY whips ass... or well, there are loads of Mesa user profiles by now, etc.) and the amazing Carvin Legacy or Bogner XTC profiles for high gain leads. I think you can find all of them @ the rig exchange, what you can access from the main site's Community page.

Make sure to shoot some profiles with the amp at full blast if you can with the boost on the back fully engaged - I'd love to have that tone. Also, some crunch profiles would be nice as well. These are kinda standard requests I think.
    One thing I just thought about - if you have the chance, please make a profile with the mids around 8-9 or even 10, and the treble and bass around 5-6, and the other way around as well (bass and treble higher and mid scooped out a little) - this is something I'd surely try with that amp :) Thanks!

There is no such thing as some mysterious Master Amp Model.

The Kemper captures a rig AS IS, WYHIWYG (what you hear is what you get).

The profile might sound bad if it was captured with poor quality devices or wrong settings, but then the same tone that the profiler got from the real thing is also bad - don't forget the A/B possibility right after profiling/refining.

Also, please, accept the fact, that a profile = a snapshot of the CURRENT rig with the CURRENT settings and CURRENT everything. It means that it's virtually untweakable in a linear way later on. This doesn't mean that you can't correct some problems with EQing or some other pre- or post amp block effects, but this means that all of these changes will be unlinear, and therefore will differ from the original amp. Imagine this - you profile a given rig situation with the KPA, then you change the mid knob on the real amp. You also change the mid knob on the KPA profile, but the results of course won't be the same because the tone stack is not modeled or captured or anything. This is an upcoming feature of the KPA as far as I know.
    My 3 cents.

Hi!
    I sold my JSX head for the Kemper, and never looked back. Sadly, I didn't have the chance to keep the JSX for profiling, but honestly, I don't really miss it. The variety of quality tones in the KPA is just amazing. Also, there are no cabinet emulations, the cabinets are profiled with the amp, you can exchange them between the profiles, though, which really makes some profiles come alive.
    And as guitarnet said, through PA it will sound like a mic'd tube amp.

Just bought a RCF NX10SMA. I actually do prefer it over the NX12SMA. It's not so "boomy" in the low end. I like it better for guitar tone, will get back to stage monitors (from in-ear) with the RCF. Looking forward to the gigs on th weekend :)

This sounds really interesting, knowing that a guitar speaker is usually 12". Do you prefer 10" over 12" on guitar speakers, too?

Hi guys! My Kemper worked perfectly until now. Don't know what to do. It starts to boot but after a few seconds it writes out this : "updating analogboard firmware" 8|

I waited an hour and it did nothing. I can't use it. This kind of thing never happened before to me. Please help me. ?(

gila

Hi!
    You could just start by making an intialization of your KPA. The way to do this is holding the System button while turning on your unit until it writes "Initalizing...". This is a reset of your KPA's software, no rigs etc. will be lost.

PS: I can already tell that a certain 'tone enhancing device' yours truly designed would help the Kemper immensely (especially the overdrive tones), but I will not go into it - let's just say the Kemper distortion has a tendency towards 'fizziness' and a 'scattered' high end.

There is sadly one point that you are absolutely missing. When you profile an amp, you have a chance to do and A/B comparison. Most of the people reported that they got the SAME tone profiled versus the original (and you may need to refine a few times to get there, but you CAN), so I wouldn't say that the Kemper tends to be overly fizzy or anything... it's just as fizzy as a real life amp.