Posts by DonPetersen

absolutely.

there are many great clean rigs in the Rig Exchange (even some Polytones), there JC-120 rigs in the factory content, as well as super clean Deluxe, AC30, Bad Cat profiles.
    also, turning down the gain to zero on crunch profiles works really, really well.
    and since you can sort all profiles by gain, they're easy to find.

the upcoming Vintage Sound Project Rig Pack will also adress cleans (as well as crunch sounds)

Don - this is assuming that the sweet spot can still be had without one of it's components - which is rarely true.

sorry, I don't quite follow
    which component?

An amp sweet spot with the gain on 5 will sound amazing with the gain on 5 - but that brilliant character is not necessarily brilliant for higher or lower gain sounds.

sorry, can't agree here.
    profiling a simple single ended EL84 Amp, for example, at it's sweet spot yields a great crunch, but also lead and even clean variations that go way beyond what this amp could produce at the same relative gain settings can be had.
    it keeps everything I like about the sound and gives me a wider perspective of it, if you will.

Just try lowering the gain to a usable (to me) 5.5 on a profile that used to be 9.0 - the profiler's insistence on linearity makes it sound stiff, unresponsive and under-saturated.

well you ARE using less gain, so less saturated is to be expected, under-satured means you turned the gain knob to far down ;)
    The Power Sag parameter can really change the way a sound feels, if you think it's to 'stiff', give it some more Power Sag.

:)

I don't like this analogy, since it conjures up the limitations and sonic shortcomings of early sampling and links them to profiling which is nothing like a static sample.

pretty much all amps I played so far had what I would call a limited useable gain range (one of the reasons that multichannel amps have different designs per channel, not two, three or four times the same channel)

even on my single channel amps, one sounds like crap with the gain below 3.5 and the other one sounds nasty with the gain higher than 7. Why would I want these limitations in a profile?

Not all possible settings on an amp are desirable.
    This is an exsample of what I call 'borderline collector's thinking' ;)

good to hear - i think it only drops the Delay/Reverb, not other effects. Now, if you put Delay and Reverb in the X and Mod slots, I'm not sure if they'd get dropped or not. IE, I'm not sure if the mod setting drops the Delay/Reverb blocks, or all Delay/Reverb models in the Effects section.

delay and reverb effects are only available in the delay or reverb slots respectively. ;)

it is true that on tube amps the gain setting (besides distortion) also affects the tone.
    this leads to sweet spots in the amp's gain range.

profile such a sweet spot and you can vary the gain later on in the profile without losing that 'sweet' quality that first attracted you to this tone.

this is a huge advantage and previously virtually impossible to achieve in tube amps, even through an experienced modder. :)

I would also like to remind everyone that the title of this thread is "Michael Wagener Rig Pack" :)

I don't mind a little OT if it's good natured or otherwise informative, but this is getting a little out of hand.

:)

"Today, 07:45 AM
    webb

It sounded much better live. That sounds like it was recorded with TV effects mics. I was the audio tech on the stage that night. I wanted to buy a kemper after I heard the tones he was getting from his. Great player.
    "

from TGP