Posts by DonPetersen

I have a quick question. The manual does not state how the Q width works. I have always assumed that all the way to right would be very narrow, in the center would be a medium width, and all the way to the left would be a very wide Q width. Is this correct?

the higher the Q value, the narrower the filter.

for exsample (filter width in octaves = Q value):

0,5 octave = Q 2,871

1 octave = Q 1,414

2 octaves = Q 0,667

4 octaves = Q 0,267

the 'Type' control let's you select what kind of effect you want in that slot.
    the 'Browse' control let's you, uh, browse the local presets of those effects, like different settings for the Green Scream stomp.

Freezes and glitches? What firmware are you using? What exactly happens?

also, page 22 of the Reference manual describes the difference between 'Browse' and 'Type' and page 41 refers to the Studio EQ.

the studio EQ is available for the A, B, C, D, X and Mod slots.
    select one of those slots and turn the 'Type' (!) control in the upper left of the display until Studio EQ is displayed. (this 'issue' usually means that the 'Browse' knob was used in stead of 'Type' - I recommend reading the manual)
    really, - I mean it! ;)

To edit the tag info, simply select the block, press 'show tag' , scroll into the line in question and press 'edit'.

it's not about advertising, it is about clearly labeling the source.
    putting the extra info (bright cap) in the profile name was the right choice.

thanks for editing.

please tag the profiles properly, so it is evident in the rig exchange that they were not produced with an amp, but with a simulator/modeler.

thanks.

A decent brickwall limiter at the very end of the output stage would be nice for playing live. It can really help cutting through a mix especially if you use a lot of different sounds. However, a real limiter required a few msecs of look ahead which has an impact on the latency and thus the playing feel. Could be great though if you only had that kind of limiter on the master XLR outputs that go to the FOH, while your monitor out for the stage sound would be unaffected by this.

honestly, this sounds like a job for the FOH mixer to me.
    there's no way a guitarist can judge the mix from the stage.
    and even if he could (IEM with he same feed as the PA) he'd completely ruin it, after all: guitarist... :D

a saturation/tape compression effect on the other hand has a certain appeal to me (remember Magneto?)

a limiter is just a compressor set to a high (>10:1) ratio and very short attack time.
    just use the compressor post stack and set it accordingly, if you feel the need to limit your signal.
    guitar amps are highly dynamic beasts and the Profiler captures this behaviour nicely, which is why I wouldn't want to limit my signal at this point (if ever).
    careful reduction of dynamics should occur in the mixing stage - if needed at all - slamming a limiter on everything might sound impressive at the beginning, but ultimately yields signals that are harder to mix, since you cannot un-compress.

I have the Eleven Rack and I have to pay for updates to new amps

firmware updates (new features, new effects, occasional bug fixes) to the Profiler will always be free of charge.
    since it's release early this year, two rig packs, each featuring around 45 new profiles were released.
    in addition to these 'official' profile sets, there are currently over 2000 user profiles in the rig exchange, which can all be downloaded and played fro free.

8)

Hi, do you mind uploading a profile with nuno's settings?

this profile was uploaded almost three weeks ago.

please read the posts of a thread / check the rig exchange before requesting.
    it's common courtesy.

thanks.

the artificial harmonics on the Profiler are just fine. I use these a lot.
    If a modeler makes it seem easier, then that's probably due to the highly compressed nature of these devices.

artificial harmonics are all about technique, if properly executed you can get them on an acoustic guitar - no problem.
    The concept that a certain amount of gain or even certain amps are needed to pull these off is initially flawed.