Posts by Pick909

I own the earlier Variax 300 from which i tranplanted the electronic in a good Warmoth guitar and while I can't speak for the JTV workmanship i can give my 2 cents about the modeling side. First, If I have a gig where I will use a strat all the way then I'll bring my Strat and that's it. The Variax models will not replace a VERY GOOD Tele or Lespaul. BUT if I need a lot of different guitars in one gig then the Variax becomes the weapon of choice! The strat model is not so bad and can be convincing even if it does not chime as the real deal and the Gibson side is really good especially the ES335 model IMHO. Add to this the tuning goodness, the acoustic instruments and I personnaly think that those Variax well worth the money spent.

Mmmmh... I bought my KPA from King guitars and it did not cost me more (shipping, taxes and duties included) than if I bought it to Moog audio at canadian price tag. Really! US sellers can sell it for a lot less than the official US price, believe me. But of course it's your choice! ;)

Pierre

This is exactly the kind of stuff that make me laugh soooo much... Trying to scientificaly prove that the obvious is not what you think. It's like if someone very "smart" would try to convince you, with the help of complicate graphics, that Naomi Watts is not really a beautifull woman and that your eyes betray your sense of appreciation because the reality, that you can't see, is that she is ugly. Come on! The KPA sounds good, very good and that's all what I need to know! :D

Pierre

Same here with my QSC K10, it sounds darker at very low volume but I just take care to tweak my live tones at rehearsal. But isn't it the same with anything? I always have to tweak my tones at gig volume with any amp or FRFR rigs.

Pierre

I got a very different experience. I owned a Axe FX Std which I found to be very frustrating, could not get the low gain med gain typical tube amp tones that I like from it, so I came back to my real tube amps and use the Axe FX as an FXs processor which was a good match.
    But The KPA is for me a totaly different story, It took me just a few days to understand how to tweak the beast to go where I want and it really works for me!

The only flaw at the moment is that I have some troubles using real stomp boxes in front of the KPA but the stomps in the device itself are very good so no real problem here, and I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something wrong and will find the way to use my Timmy at my satisfaction.

All in all, I was a tube snob and I can't believe that I didn't used my tube amps since I got my KPA. Probably the next time I will plug them will be to profile them! :D

Mikey, keep reading and tweaking and I'm sure that you'll soon discover how different the KPA is from the AFX Ultra!

Pierre

Pierre, you clearly come from an Axe-Fx ;) :D

Yes, tried hard to like it, it was a standard and while the FXs were stellar the amp sims never convinced me. I mostly used it as an effect processor with my tube amps. Never tried the AFXII thought, but I don't need to, because the KPA is here to stay!

We will have changes in the future.

Please don't change too much things, this device sounds freaking awesome just like it is!!! I have my KPA since about 10 days and I'm so amazed at how good it sounds that i don't have time to post my review, just want to play and play again!!! Sorry but I have to play now!!! We'll talk later... maybe?... :D

Pierre

PS: I have to say that I always considered myself as a tube snob... Line 6 and Fractal could not cured this, but my world is changing now!

Sorry to the OP I don't want to troll this thread so forgive my enthousiasm and let speak about speaker sims! :)

My KPA is now in Canada and will be reviewed by customs ! :) I just hope that they're not going to keep it !! :evil:

8o

If the custom inspector is a guitar player I bet that he will keep it for a week or more for an inspection in depht!!! (LOL!) ;)

They tried to deliver mine to my door yesterday but I was not there X( ...I will have the time to go get it at the post office tomorow!!! :D :D :D
    I have a couple of gigs next two weeks maybe I will have the time to make a midi setup with my Liquid Foot jr and use it live!!! :thumbup:

I can't believe I'm so near now!!! 8o It's been about one year that I checked for this device... Sold my AFX, one amp and a lot of pedals to get the funds.

Pierre

Toxic something, I think I read somewhere. Flesh coming off fingers and faces from current users. I am actually writing this post with my palm's bones 8)

I would suspect some political matters. Prime minister Harper and the RCMP probably discovered that the hapiness resulting of a frequent usage of the KPA would tend to transform the users in more generous persons and move them away from the conservative neo liberalist philosophy! LOL!!! ;)

Hey! Just joking! :D Don't want to start a political debate in any way...

Pierre

Friday?!! You are really optimist man! 8o I choose the USPS Express service which take more about a week... Brad will ship the package tomorow so I should receive it... friday...but next week.

Not too bad because now I am sure to get it soon!!! :D

I'll keep you post David!

Pierre

King Guitar would give you a better deal! I know that he will receive 6 units tomorow ( I have his UPS tracking number 8o ) but don't know how many are already sold... There are two for sure for David and me! :D :D

Only one week from me now!!! Hey David could you profile your spoons as soon as you get it? LOL!!! ;)

Pierre

I'm waiting for my KPA and asked this question recently too. It seems that most of the poweramp profile is in the cabinet part, so if you disable the cabinet in the profile you choose, it will work very well as a preamp. Simply use this connection setup:

KPA monitor out > poweramp in of your JSX (fx loop return) > JSX cab

However some poweramp will add too much of their own color while others will not, more transparents and neutrals. You will have to experiment.

Pierre

That's including taxes which they will discount. I paid 1268.48€ (that's $1632 CAD with the currency exchange of today) with Paypal in December (I had pre-ordered it). It gets delivered by Post Canada. I did not have to pay any duties/taxes when I got it.

Killer deal! 8o But it is strange that you didn't have to pay any taxes and duties... I think you were just really lucky that something this value passed thru canadian custom without anything to pay. ;)