Posts by chameleon101663

You have some level differences between the first clip and the subsequent ones.

More importantly though, how long did you refine your profile for with the Kemper? Because your refined stage takes it way away from where it shoudl sound quite a bit (and how did you refine?). It's important to refine for a really long time, not what's shown in the videos, but literally turn on refining, and then play lots and lots for at least 5 minutes solid, I refine for about 20 minutes now and get much closer to the tone I'm sending.

Re: Level differences. I know. I mentioned it in my notes. That shouldn't be happening IMO. I didn't alter any knobs or settings.

Re: How long did I refine. I refined for over 5 minutes using various chords at different velocities all up and down neck in addition to single note runs.

The point of my posting this wasn't to field critiques about my processes...just to share my findings so that some might benefit. Feel free to spend the time to post your own results using your own techniques. I would like to see if other users experience similar results or not. :thumbup:

Initial testing for using the KPA as a direct profiling solution with my Bogner Shiva 6L6. The goal was to accurately capture the Shiva's preamp section. If successful, this configuration would allow me to use the Shiva as a power amp/cabinet for the KPA.

Configuration: Guitar>KPA Input>KPA Direct Output>Shiva Input>Shiva FX Send>KPA Return>KPA Master Outputs>Logic. Recorded directly into Logic. No post processing used.

Clip posted on soundcloud...
    http://soundcloud.com/johnny-n…/kemper-profiling-session

Clips are as follows:
    (1st clip) Pre-profile, reference amp
    (2nd clip) Post profile, reference amp
    (3rd clip) Post profile, pre-refine KPA
    (4th clip) Post profile, post-refine KPA

Findings/Notes:
    1. Volume drop on passes 2-4.
    2. Pre-refined result closer to original than post-refined, but still not acceptable.

Conclusion:
    While an EXCELLENT solution for capturing exact mic'd cab tones, I don't believe it to be quite as capable when direct profiling. I hope future updates improve this ability.

I totally agree 100% on this. Consider my "signature" on this petition.

This is the single biggest flaw in the KPA that prevents me from making it my #1 live rig.

It would even be nice if there was a knob function to "restore" or even ADD punch/dynamics to the monitor output for those using it in such a manner.

:thumbup:

It's not intolerance...it's simple courtesy to your fellow man. Please exercise it so this thread stays on track.

Sometimes it's just too low volume. When we don't hear enough highs with a real amp, we crank it further up until we can hear what the amp want's to tell. With modelers that are capable of delivering plenty of highs, we turn highs and presence up, but that keeps us away from cranking the volume. I believe that the highs that we need for recordings are too much for a cranked up livesound. Think about it. I'd lower the presence and the highs on your place to get more punch. My 2c.

That is an excellent point and usually true...but in this case (at least for me) it's not.

I've used both poweramp/cab and FRFR rigs side-by-side at comparable volumes to my real amp in the room. It's just not the same (not even close IMO). I assume this would be the case with all modeler/sims, not just the KPA.

Did you listen to the clips I provided? When using a poweramp/cab rig to monitor, it seems to me that the problem could be a combination of two things:

1. If using the KPA with an "Amp" profile (cab included), it does not produce a realistic true preamp sound when the cab is turned off.
    2. If using the KPA with a "Direct" profile, the profiling process colors the tone too much and does not provide an accurate reproduction of the original preamp sound.

I think the KPA is a revolutionary product that does it's primary job extremely well; which is to accurately recreate the sound of any amp mic'd. It achieves it's purpose with flying colors.

However, since buying it I didn't realize how important "amp-in-room" tone is to me. Maybe I just have to settle for not having both.

I have experienced this too and I'm pretty sure it's because "Monitor Cab Off" doesn't remove 100% of the cab from the rig. I haven't found a solution. I think the only real solution will be a firmware upgrade that allows us to completely disable the cab on the monitor output while retaining it on the main outs. As far as I know that has not been promised though.

I think you're right. That can definitely be a big part of the problem.

Using the KPA to capture DI profiles does NOT work well IMHO. The difference between the original signal and the unrefined/refined profile is HUGE. Not a solution I'm afraid.

I was really hoping that the KPA would work effectively as a preamp profiling device, but it colors the original signal and dynamics way too much. You can tell it's trying to "smooth out" the direct signal.

I've included an example on my soundcloud page.

http://soundcloud.com/johnny-n…-marshall-jmp-direct-test

The amp is a Marshall JMP using a direct box connected to the speaker output of the amp. On the clip I played a similar riff four times and captured the results follows:

#1 Reference amp pre-profile
    #2 Reference amp post-profile (why it's so much louder I have no clue)
    #3 KPA pre-refine
    #4 KPA post-refine

Radley,

Since you are still not happy with your pick sound and attack on the KPA, please post an A/B comparison of a real amp and profile, where this lack is revealed.

If you only find your perfect sound with modeling amps, then it's a different story, but you should stand by it.
    Don't blame the KPA for not profiling modeling amps. Just use modeling amps instead.

Agreed!

Why spend so much energy whining & complaining if you can't post specific examples to support your position?

It seems to me that the amount of time you spent typing complaints about the "distortion characteristics", "pick sound/attack" etc., could have been used to post clips so others could understand your viewpoints as well. That would truly be helping the community.

Makes no sense to me.

Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to explain that!

Sleuth out a pure sinewave model if you can - "modified sinewave" UPS's are no friend of audio gear!

-djh

What is a "pure" sinewave unit? I'm trying to find more info about this and I'm not sure if this term is an accepted industry standard. Is it called something else as well? Do all manufacturers abide by the meaning of this term? ?(

As far as something that isn't a UPS but regulates the power, I've been using a Tripp Lite LTC1800 for years. In live situations, it has saves my butt numerous times and kept the entire band (PA, lights, tube amps, bass) working perfectly in the most terrible AC environments. :thumbup:

Hmm that's strange.. Have you tried using any of the DI profiles?

The goal is to NOT use DI profiles...it's to use the setup as described.

So unfortunately that isn't something that will solve the problem...thanks for the response though!

The questions still remain...

Do mics compress the original dynamic range of the amp/speaker?

Could it be because the KPA "Monitor Cab Off" selection doesn't really remove 100% of the speaker profile (causing compression)?

Maybe it's an "engineer" level question of the dynamic range difference between the original amp and the profiled amp. Hmmmm.