Posts by ba_hill

Make sure that your iPhone and iPad are not trying to connect to the Stage via the cellular network. Go to Settings->Cellular on your phone and iPad and disable cellular data for the Rig Manager app. I had a problem that was similar to your (though I never got the incorrect password message) and turning off cellular data fixed it for me.

Brian

I have downloaded and installed the latest Kemper update as well as have the latest IOS for my iPhone 12 Pro. While attempting to connect with iPhone to Stage (Access Point Mode) while using Rig Manager the iPhone searches and finds the profiler, the connect button is there and when pressed it tries to connect for a split second and then aborts. No matter how many times I try to connect I get the same result. Any suggestions?

I had the exact same issue. The solution was to make sure that the iPhone isn't trying to connect via its cellular connection. Go to Settings>Cellular on the phone and disable cellular data for the Rig Manager app.

Are you playing as loud as you would with one of those amps? I hear it at stage volume.

I rarely get to play at stage volume but even when not cranking a Plexi reissue all the way the difference in tone between when the guitar is on 10 and when it's on 3 is noticeably greater than the difference with the KPA. With the Plexi reissue (and also with a Deluxe Reverb) it's similar to how a Fuzz Face cleans up and brightens up when you turn the guitar's volume down. Not as much as that but similar. I haven't experienced that with my KPA. The KPA seems to me to respond more like an amp with a master volume that gets its distortion mainly from the preamp. In my experience those usually don't brighten up much, even though they may clean up, when you turn down the guitar's volume.

One of the very few things that I don't like about the KPA is that the tone doesn't change when I roll back my guitar's volume. I know that is a good thing for a many players but a lot of amps, particularly non-master volume amps like 4 input Marshalls and tweed Fenders, brighten up when you roll back the guitar's volume when the amp is cranked. The KPA doesn't do that. The tone stays the same. I think that may be what Richard Fortus is talking about.

Hi,

I own an L.A. Lady and like it a lot. I don't feel that it sounds "digital" in any way. Its Fuzz Face models don't respond to turning down your guitar's volume control like a real FF does but otherwise I think it does a good job of modeling overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals.

Take what I say with more than a grain of salt, though. I'm not a big pedal user because I generally prefer amp dirt. Over the years I've owned a number of pedals but, apart from fuzz, I don't foresee ever buying another dirt pedal now that I have the L.A. Lady.

And, completely apart from the wattage an amp puts out, amps differ in how much signal they need in order to be driven to their full output. It's likely that the Camplifier expects a hotter input signal than the powered monitors you're used to do in order to put out its full output.

I see that you have both your main and monitor output levels at -12.1dB. If that's where whichever one is connected to Camplifier is set when you're not getting the volume you want, try turning that one up. There's no problem with having the outputs at 0dB.

From my limited time with the Kab, I feel the need to to lower the Directivity setpoint the louder I set the Kab. At small room playing volumes I leave it at 12:00 o clock.

I have a Kone in an open back 1x12 cab and this is my experience with Directivity as well.

Try setting the both the mix and reverse mix controls to 100% wet. You can't tell in the video above because you can see the player's hands, but there is a delay between what they play and when that sound comes out in reverse.

Again I read, the manual, I just have difficulty to reproduce the kind of sound posted in the video.

The only info I found in the manual is the reverse setting which in my case seem to reverse only the echo.

Do you have any tip to replicate this kind of sound ?

Add a cab to the DI profile and it should work. When there's no cab on the profile the Kemper switches to the linear (FRFR) imprint. Take a look at the Addendum 7.2 to the manual. It explains this in detail.

I'm still confused about the use of the kone imprints. Can you use this setup as follows : Guitar > KPA > direct profile (DI) > Celestion imprints > Monitor out (Cab off) > Power AMP > Kabinet ? The reason i'm asking , when i tied this setup with Yamanha HS8 using DI profile, it sounded still like a DI and did not influence the Impulse response, However when i try a merged profile, i could hear the Celestion imprints on my Yamaha HS8

Hi Dave,

If you don't have a cab sim of some kind on the KPA's output when you're monitoring this way you're listening to the Kemper without a cab and comparing it to your amp with its cab. It will definitely sound thin when using the Kemper DI. The Torpedo Captor has a cab sim built in but it may not sound like your real cab so if you use that while profiling when you play back the profile it won't necessarily match your real amp and cab. The KPA DI needs a real speaker cab connected when you're profiling so that means you can't run your powered KPA into the speaker cab. You could do that with the Torpedo Captor, though. You might try connecting the Captor as you described but instead of connecting the real speaker cab to the speaker thru of the Captor, connect your speaker cab to the KPA's power amp. Then you can switch between hearing your amp or the Kemper through the speaker cab. That way you can be sure you're getting a good profile. Make sure you turn off the speaker sim in the Captor.

Brian

Hi Mookytc,

I don't think monitoring through either headphones or studio monitors will work for this. You need some kind of power amp for the Kemper (or a powered Kemper) so that you can listen to it through your guitar cab. Otherwise you have to use a speaker simulator of some kind. That may be why the Kemper DI sounds thin compared to the Two Notes. The Kemper DI doesn't have any speaker simulation. That's not a flaw of the Kemper DI, that is how it should be for its intended usage.

Are you planning to use the DI profiles mainly with IRs for recording or into an FRFR speaker? Or are you going to use them through a power amp into a guitar cab? If you're using them into a guitar cab I think it's best to monitor through a guitar cab when you capture them. If instead you're using them with IRs you'll need to add the IR to your monitoring chain somehow. Otherwise you're not hearing what they will sound like and it's hard to tell if you've got a good profile, if it needs refining, etc.

Brian

Thanks for the reply ba_hill. Set up the direct capture (hardware as in the manual) but up until last night have only had headphones to monitor so have not bothered so to answer the question no. I borrowed some monitors from a friend and now have them hooked up to the Kemper. So in theory that will enable me to compare the profiles?

The process seems straight forward and simple but being a Kemper newb probably missing something something basic. Will try it out this weekend.

Dave

Are you able to monitor the amp and the Kemper through your guitar cab when you profile? I've done direct profiles that way and have been able to get profiles that I can't distinguish from the amp when played through the same cab. Sometimes it takes refining and sometimes not but I've been able to consistently capture good profiles. I'm using a Waza Tube Amp Expander (with the speaker IR bypassed) as a reactive load DI but I don't see why the Kemper DI wouldn't be at least as good, probably better.

My direct captures so far have been kind of meh. Purchased a Kemper DI box figuring it is "official" and would work best. Did not care for the results. Tried a Torpedo Captor as the DI and it was better but the captures did not sound like the pro versions or quality one found on rig exchange.

The amps being profiles are good amps as well. They captures sound kind of "thin". Will have to figure how to beef them up a bit so to speak.

If both are working fine separately maybe the problem is one of the cables that connect them.

Both seem to be working fine until I connect them. nothing through the line in or fx send works. Only when I plug it into the amp in, and like I said, it is really quite. So, just at a loss why it is doing this now.