Posts by ba_hill

I haven't had a chance to make any profiles with one yet but I have been mic'ing guitar cabs with the CAD TSM411 for recording and I love the way it sounds. I usually place the mic a little off-axis and I'm getting some of the best recorded guitar sounds I've ever gotten with any mics. It's inexpensive, too. Musician's Friend occasionally has them on sale for as low as $30.

CAD TSM411

Brian

It sounds like you may have both direct monitoring through your interface and software monitoring through your DAW on. If that's the case the latency of the software path will slightly delay that signal causing it to be out of phase with the direct monitored signal. That will result in a loss of low end like you describe. If you mute the signal from your DAW can you still hear your guitar in your monitors? If so, you'll need to mute either the DAW software monitoring or the interface's direct monitoring when you record.

Brian

I would choose experience over equipment. Making good profiles doesn't require much or particularly expensive equipment. If you like the profiles that have been made at the studio with extensive profiling experience I'd suggest going with them.

I tried and didn't succeed. I'll post a clip later.
    It's happening in every profile I do. Try some similar commercial profiles and play that Dsus2 and you will hear the same effect.

The lack of clarity sounds like distortion to me, too. Have you tried experimenting with the Tube Shape setting? According to the manual Tube Shape controls the character of the distortion.

I just reported a bug that may be the same thing you're seeing. If I have selected "Current Author" in the rig "Views" menu when the KPA is turned on I can't change the rig with any of the browse buttons. If I change the rig view to "All" the browse buttons work. I haven't tried this with any of the other views but you might check to see if your rig view is set to anything other than "All". If so change it to All and see if you can then change rigs.

Brian

Hi,

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a recording from the KPA's XLR outputs into a high quality interface vs. S/PDIF. I've done both but never in the same situation or with any intention of comparing the two. These days, 99% of the time I record from the XLR outs and haven't felt any need to go to S/PDIF.

Some of Kemper's delays, modulations and (I think) reverb are stereo. If you record with them you may want to have a 2 channel interface even if you don't use S/PDIF.

If you're using a Mac, another option for a high quality, low I/O count interface is the Metric Halo ULN-2. It's stereo , has S/PDIF, sounds quite good and costs less than the Prism interfaces.

I have experienced something similar in firmware 4.0.2. Did you use the Type knob on the front panel of the Kemper to switch between performances? I think that if you do that (as opposed to using the remote or a MIDI pedal to switch between performances) you have to press the Load soft button afterwards to load the performance.

Brian

I got a response from support about the missing delay presets.

yes, true, this item got lost, sorry! We might include this functionality in the next 4.0 revision. The data is still in your repository and not lost.The pragmatic approach for you would be: I'm assuming if these are your favorite delay settings, you have used them in Rigs. Then you could simply use the COPY/PASTE function to copy these into other Rigs or store a new Delay Preset. So you load a Rig with a favorite delay, open the Delay Module, press STORE, select "New Delay" and assign a name.

[quote='ba_hill','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/28025-FW-4-0-beta-experiences-thread/?postID=296665#post296665']I have opened a support ticket for this issue. I'll report back when I hear something.

Brian

[quote='tntent','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/28025-FW-4-0-beta-experiences-thread/?postID=296657#post296657'][quote='ba_hill','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/28025-FW-4-0-beta-experiences-thread/?postID=296636#post296636']I, too, have lost all my previous delay presets. I did a backup before installing 4.0. Is there a way to recover just the delay preset from there?

I have opened a support ticket for this issue. I'll report back when I hear something.

Brian

Normally I would say yes but these delays are supposed to be converted to the new legacy format in a manner to sound the same during install. And in my case, I believe those saved with a rig were, but they weren't in the browse pool or named accordingly. Perhaps you can open a support ticket for the benefit of both of us and any others like us whom will be coming along

Interesting, @ba_hill. What does it do if it's at 50%, for instance? Does it start regularly and then suddenly reverse back? That would be insane.

The mix parameter only controls the volume of the reverse signal is in relation to the dry signal. At 50% you'll hear the reverse but you'll also hear the dry signal at about equal volume. At 100% you'll only hear the reverse. The timing between the dry and reverse signals is the same in both cases unless Kemper has done something unusual there as well. The reverse signal will always be delayed with respect to the dry signal.

EDIT: You know, after thinking more about this I realized I really don't know how the reverse mix parameter works. At NAMM I turned it to 100% and heard only reverse but I'm not sure what it would do at anything other than 0 or 100%.

I looked through the delays at NAMM and was at first disappointed not to see reverse but when I looked at the parameters I saw that there's a 'Reverse Mix' on some (maybe all, I didn't check each one) of the delays! Set that to 100% and you have full reverse delay. That's another example of how Kemper could easily have done what most delay boxes do - give a separate delay type for reverse - but they went a step further and made reverse available on (maybe) every delay.

Does anybody know if the Fryette Power Station can be used to create direct profiles?

I have been using a Suhr Reactive Load which is similar except without a power amp built in. I am very happy with the results.

One thing to check, though. I believe the early Power Stations had a low pass filter on the direct out. That might affect the sound of your profiles. The currently shipping ones don't have that filter and there's a mod to bypass it on the older models.

Another approach would be to lock the slot that has the loop in it (assuming you're using the same slot in each performance). When you have outboard gear connected to the loop enable the loop's slot. Since it's locked will be enabled (on) for all performances. When you don't have any gear in the loop just turn the loop's slot off. It will stay off for all performances.

Brian