Posts by ba_hill

I wonder if the gate was causing the latency. Would you mind turning the gate back to where it was set in your previous KPA and checking the latency again?

Brian

...gone with a new unit!? At least to an extent where i can deal with it properly in live situations. :)

On a sidenote : gone is also some strange noise the 'old' KPA had in my own profile where i had to turn up the noise gate pretty high to get rid of it. Now with the new unit the noise gat is completely out of the signal chain and there is no weird noise anymore. Good news at least for me. ;)

I did a quick test to measure the time it takes for the Kemper to change the sound after a MIDI program change message is sent. I measured about 150 ms. That's not 0 but it's quite a bit less than half a second. What I did was send a program change from Logic to the Kemper and recorded the audio from the Kemper. I played a long note to and switched between a quiet clean patch and a loud distorted one so I could clearly see the difference. Here are a couple of screen shots that show what I saw. the first picture the bottom track has 2 squares in it that represent the program change messages. The top track is the output of the Kemper.

Waveform

Timing

The timing is in SMPTE units - hh:mm:ss ff:bb, where ff is frames (in this case 25 frames per second) and bb is SMPTE bits (80 bits per frame). You can see that the time between the PC message being sent and the change in sound is at most 3 frames and 60 bits. That is less than 4/25ths of a second, about 150 ms.

This seems like it may be in the range where it just isn't an issue for some people but is a problem for others. I haven't found it to be a problem in my music. Would someone who does notice a lag take some measurements to see if what they are experiencing is different or if it's just that 150ms is too much for their use?

Brian

The tremolo depth control was broken in 1.1. It was always at max regardless of what you set it to. That's been fixed in 1.5. That's why you have to turn it up to get back to what it was in 1.1.

Tremolo stomp issue?

Brian

No one seems to have noticed my comment, so I'm pasting it here again. All of my favorits has disappeared in 1.5? Maybe I'm wrong, but the tremolo fx seems different. You need to turn up the settings more to get the same amount of effect compered to 1.1? /Hans J

The Octavia is one of only 3 effects that I used external effects for with the Kemper. Now that number is down to 2, ducking delay and reverse delay. I saved the stomps from yours and Bill's rigs. They're great!

Thank you and Bill R and especially thanks to Kemper for this firmware update.

Brian

The Octavia sounds from the recti shaper are ridiculously good - jaw dropping IMHO. I've had 3 different boutique octave pedals (Fulltone, Dice Works and FoxRox) and I'm shocked out how good this thing can sound.

I got turned on to it with Bill Ruppert's Jimi Octavia thread where he shared a rig he built for it and demo'd it with some nice chops! :thumbup: I got inspired and made another version of it with less amp gain, added fuzz and more octave and can't get enough of playing it.

Please profile the WEM Dominator, even if it's just one profile. Those are really rare and it may be a long time before someone else has a chance to add one to the rig exchange.

Thanks!

Very cool!

Something about hearing the sounds at the beginning of this video shortly after watching the Anderton's video made me wonder if we'll soon hear the Kemper's profiling sounds used in a piece of music :)

Brian