Posts by jeddie

I still hear the same old digitalness coming out of the axe II whether it has tone or amp match. I'm just highly skeptical right now that it will be in the realm that the kemper is. Just to give you some background on me and why I'm such a kemper fan. I had never even heard of the kemper and put my name on the list for the axe II back in december. I had started cruising the forums and researched the axe II for what seems like forever reading review after review and listening to you tube clips. I heard people mention the kemper, but dismissed it due to it being such a new device and the fact that the axe was so well known. So anyways one day someone had posted a youtube clip and I was just blown away at how much better it sounded than the axe 2 and I thought man that must just be mastered to sound good... then clip after clip showed up of incredible full guitar recordings while the axe clips on youtube were flat and stale. So anyways this whole thing sounds like an axe bash, but it's really not. I would love to see the axe achieve what the kemper has achieved. The kemper is to the point for me musically that it would be hard to buy another device like the axe... the only one up I see is all the effects the axe has, but i'm somewhat of a purist so I'm not that interested in it. If I can't make good music with the kemper I might as well quit.

I think it's too early for anyone to judge, the clips i heard of the Youtube tone matching of course are only going to be as high quality as the source, and they sound very close to my ears, very impressive being able to do that with just the Axe itself without having to use any computer software, and also in the new upcoming firmware version, there is amp tone matching, which I'm sure they use their own method but the in the end, the results will most likely be what the KPA does, I'm excited!! I own both the Axe II and KPA, i'm kind of waiting for this release so I can profile/ tone match, whatever they'll call it, the tube amps at the same time, i have plenty of amps I can borrow for this, so only want to do it once.. :)

What's are the benefits to these products? I mean who's to say I shouldn't just go buy a fryette or atomic power amp. From my understanding matrix products are not even tube power amps and several people have said the tube power amps are the way to go. So is there some new technology involved here with the matrix brand that is going to make these better suited for modelers? I would prefer a no tube power amp so that I don't have to replace tubes, but when I hear clips of the tube power amps they sound better. With that said I'm sure somebody could create a poweramp that is a non tube that sounds tube... The kemper proves this!!! So please please let me know what I'm missing with regard to this just being another new release to sell an old product with a different shape or case around the internals.

I concur with the last two posts. I'm not really sure we need tone matching... I think we're venturing into lower quality if we go down this road.

Ok good I'm not going crazy. I politely mentioned this(tone match clips lacking dynamics, punch, and clarity) in one of the other forums and it was explained to me that it's a tone match of a mastered clip. So I think what we have here is a cool feature for axe users, but probably is not going to cut it for us kempers. It still seems to have that digital sound to it and lacks that "amp in the room" sound. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears it. I know these are newly released clips, but I just don't see how tone matching is going to be perfection. As someone mentioned it's kinda just eq matching and not really like an amp match like the kemper. Maybe if I hear some better clips I'll buy one in addition to the kemper, but I doubt it based on what I hear so far... if I was a current axe 2 owner I would be stoked to get the feature so maybe that's where the hype is.

I know this sounds good, but it still seems flat to me. I'd have to hear some more samples before judging it. Not sure the tone match will meet the dynamics, but it's in the early stages now so I guess it's possible.

I use powered Atomic cabs, and for FRFR system works fine with Kemper. But the best results for me are using the Kemper as preamp through a VHT 2 90 2, or Randall RT 2 50 & guitar cab or even to the fx loop of a tube combo, using preamp profiles (no power amp, no cab sim)

Thank you for this info!!! I was wondering which way to go and now I know! rhyme time baby! Now I just need to pick up a power amp... I've heard frfr speakers before and they just don't sound good to me... something to do with air I guess. I wouldn't doubt though that before long some frfr speakers will match the sounds of the kpa and it will be perfect harmony.

This is awesome... Thank you for your efforts! If possible can you try to profile these louder than the 5150 profiles. For some reason I am having a heck of a time getting the 5150's to sound good... I have to turn them up and by the time I turn them up all the way they clip. I'm not really sure why, but they just aren't loud enough. Anyways, not trying to be picky, but I'm thinking the louder the profile then I don't have to turn it up so much on the kemper

I'm too lazy to read the last thread, but I thought I remembered there was a reason the kemper didn't use normal irs. It makes me wonder if the kemper uses a different type of convolution or execution to capture a cabinet. Maybe the profiling of a cabinet is better on a kemper, but it seems like it would all be the same just a different format. I also have a ton of ir's I would like to use, but maybe they won't sound good.

Is it catching on yet? It seems like music stores still have inventory of the kemper and it's not selling. I mean wtf? This thing blows away the axe-fx. I really hate modelers, but this thing is just like the amp. Are people that reluctant to try something new? I made my decision based on the clips, reviews, and haven't looked back. Anyways, I'm kind of ranting here, but I bet once people actually see this thing in person they're going to fly off the shelves like hotcakes. I guess they think theres some post eqing making these sounds so good! Good to see it getting some magazine exposure.

Thanks for the heads up on the other post, but I have looked at it. I have played with all these, but my question is more if there is an improper profiling method. I think I mentioned that some of the profiles lack punch and aren't really loud enough. If you turn these profiles up louder you get clipping and they don't sound good... no matter what adjustments you do they still sound terrible. The profiles that are great are by a single user... The profiles that sound bad are done by a different user. So did they profile without turning the amp up enough to capture the essence of the amp? Their profiles sound somewhat stale low volume while the other persons profiles are all incredible. So is there a method to profiling?

So I noticed some profiles aren't loud enough and when you turn amp volume, master volume, or speaker volume they start to clip. I've adjusted every way(adjusting one up and the other down and so on). It seems that these profiles weren't recorded loud enough and that is the reason they clip and aren't loud enough to get the full amp/drive sound. Am I right here or am I doing something wrong?

Ok I'm sure this has been covered, but I thought I would ask... my kemper's on order so I want to make sure I understand this first. The kemper will allow you to profile the preamp stage only(this does not include the power amp.) The other profile it will allow is for the poweramp+preamp+mic cabinet or you can profile the poweramp+preamp using a palmer box thru line with no cabinet? So if you only profile the preamp and you add it with one of the kemper cabinets is there any need for a poweramp stage? If I understand the poweramp should be transparent anyways... theres not built in poweramp stages in the kemper? This is probably a "dumb" question, but thought I would ask.

The three profiles are as follows?

preamp

preamp+power amp no cab

Preamp power amp cabinet?