Posts by Dote

Dear All,

I am an avid Kemper user since 2012 and have used it for recording quite a lot and also did my own profiles. I have quite a nice collection of third party profiles (MBritt, Tone Junkie, TAF, Acy Lounge) that I really like.

With all these profiles (my own included) I always hear this 600-800 hz pronounced mid-hump or extended mid content (nasal sound) which I do not hear e.g. with my Synergy Syn-2 going direct via the internal (passive) cab simulation or miced amp.

The Kemper sits quite nicely in a mix, the mid hump is really obvious if the guitar is soloed or you play without a backing track. I can only dial that mid-hump out using the graphic EQ on the Kemper and lowering the 640hz band by at least 3dbs post stack.

Changing the cabs in the Cab section of course changes the sound as well, but I for the life of me can not find a suitable cab (I have some of the Celestion IRs, but maybe I need to lock into other IRs?).

The mid hump is more pronounced in the profiles of some vendors (MBritt, Tone Junkie) then others.

I guess some will say that this mid hump is the sound of an amp being miced. Could well be, but then the mid hump would come from the sound of an SM57 or other mic, but I wonder if there are other users out there that have that same experience with the mid hump.

All EQs (Master Section etc.) in my Kemper are set to neutral (0). Pure Cabinet is off, Space is off. I already tried a reset. Currently I am on iOS7.

Dote

Look for a profile called "CK Rotary Speaker". This is a Leslie 145 profiled by Chris Kemper himself. Together with the rotary simulation for FX this will sound very authentic. Haven't used it for a Hammond though, but had serious fun using it with guitar.

I think it was part of the Rig Pack 1 so you might need to update your factory sounds to actually find it.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Will try this and report back!

Dote

Hi gang,

I successfully used the Kemper for recording my Hammond B3, man this makes recording so easy. I was in a hurry so I used no amp profile, but rather only EQ and the Leslie Effect after the amp block. This of course is a compromise since the high freq content of the "leslie Effect" is not like in a real Leslie 122.

I wonder if there is a dedicated amp + cabinet profile of a Leslie, I can not seem to find it. I currently am not able to do a profile of my trusted 122, so I wonder if there is anybody out there who has profiled a Leslie 122 or 147 using two mics at least.

A question to the Kemper team: do you think one would rather use a guitar for refining or the Hammond?

Thanks in advance for any help or hints

Dote

Thanks guys for the great feedback. :)

Yup, lyrics are bavarian. Our singer (as the rest of us) is from Bavaria, so it comes natural to sing in our mother tongue. I think it is much more authentic to do songs in your own language, although we used to do only cover songs of US/GB 70s Rock and Blues.

Maybe we should think about offering a translation for the song lyrics? ;)

The Profiles used were: Fischer SLO (3) and Brute&Phatt ODS 80s.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the comments.

Dote

Hi gang,

wanted to share a new song of my band "Kranzbergg" where I used the Kemper for all the guitar parts. Heavy guitars are the Fischer SLO rig. Other guitars are my Brute&Phatt 80s ODS. Using the KPA makes recording a breeze and really fun :thumbup:

The song is about "letting go" (Lass los) which is one of the things you need to learn in life.

http://soundcloud.com/kranzbergg/lass-los-kranzbergg

Looking forward to feedback.

Hope you enjoy the song!

Dote

Thanks guys... Unfortunately my Voodoo Ground Control Pro can't send multiple Cc's... :cursing: Shit!

Hi Mao1406,

I have the same problem of only one CC# per IA with my GCP. I use it together with a GCX in my traditional tube amp + pedals in rack setup and with the Kemper (works nicely), but combining both is not possible. This is a serious shortfall of the GCP. Maybe there is a little gizmo that could change CCs coming in into different/multiple CCs coming out.

Maybe there is a way the GCP can be modded to send multiple CCs (which is an industry standard nowadays). One would have to contact Voodoo labs for this question. I have already considered selling my GCP and buying something else (Rocktron midi Raider), but am not decided yet.

One thing that speaks against selling the GCP in my case is that I get almost all the effects I need from the Kemper. So I use the Kemper or my GCX + amp. I have a little Line6 iPhone App + a midi adapter which allows me to reprogram the GCP on the fly.

Would love to know which Controller you might consider buying and if you plan on asking Voodoo Lab for a mod? Maybe some third party is offering a mod for the Voodoo lab?

Cheers,

Dote

In my case (Kemper, GCP and GCX) if the Kemper would allow to assign different CC#s to the stomps, you could keep the IAs on the GCP+GCX and still have the Kemper switch the corresponding stomp. Say CC#87 is IA#1 of the GCX and could be assigned to switch stomp 1 on the kemper at the same time.

Very interesting article! That guy really must be a sound freak, reading some of the statements I just could shake my head - I'm really happy that my ears aren't good enough to hear those differences :D

+1

I would be hard pressed to hear or feel a latency of 3ms.

Peter Weihe is of course a superb professional and has quite an impressive vitae. I found the article well written, but I sometimes could not help the feeling that some things are blown out of proportion (latency, influence of the buffer of the KPA).

It comes down to this IMHO:

The KPA is a musical instrument in itself. It has a trademark sound and feel even if it is able to capture the essence of the profiled amps to a T.

It will not replace the physical experience of flipping the Standby-Switch on a 70`s Marshall, nor the fragrance of tubes cooking, nor 100W blasting at you from a 4x12".

It might not be able to depict the miniscule nuances of a Marshall on the verge of hard clipping in full detail.

But it is one heck of an instrument that inspires me every day, that makes me want to play guitar everyday, that makes life easy in the studio, that keeps my invertebral discs in healthy shape, that inspires (see Bill's Rhodes sounds). And a lot more.....

Just my 0.2 EUR Cent.

Dote

Jimmyno,

thanks for the clarification.

I still get crackles when switching rigs (at the instant of switching), no later on as in the earlier FW.

Thanks,

Dote

Hi Djazz,

thanks for the reply.

I get it with e.g. switching between the Fischer Sold 100/3 rig and the AC Top Boost Link profiles (I think those are factory rigs).

Could you try the following:

use the headphone out into headphones

play a chord and let it ring

then switch between Fischer Sold 100/3 and AC Top Boost Link

see if you get crackles on the instant of switching

now press the programm button on your GCP where you have the Sold rig a couple of times when playing an open chord. I get some serious crackle then.

In a live situation, I would need to switch between a clean rig and a high-gain rig very fast and this crackle would be clearly audiable.

I will try to record my Kemper by the end of the week to give proof of the problem. Maybe it is just my unit, but then I would like to get it replaced ASAP.

Thanks for your help and time,

Dote

I am bit confused..

there is now a 1.09Release version uploaded today 18.06.12 and Public Beta 1.1.0.7459 uploaded 16.06.12 with the note that clicks are fixed.

There is a note on 1.1.07459:

Resolved issues:

- Changing rigs does not produce a click noise anymore

Note: This version is identical to 1.1.0.7448v2, just the version name within the download description has changed.

Can anyone test if you do still get clicks when switching rigs? I unfortunately for the time can not record the clicks, since the computer where my Logic is installed broke down yesterday.

Thanks,

Dote

I just installed FW1.1.0V2:

Still get the clicks although they now are only noticeable at the instant of switching. I did a system reset but this did not help it.

So thanks to the Kemper team for the effort, but there is still a problem.

Here are some more things I checked:

Clicks when:

switching rigs via Midi (GCP)
    do get worse if one changes to the same rig already loaded (stepping onto the GCP switch for the rig multiple times)
    does not matter wether Reverb or Delay are on or off
    worse with rigs having a boost stomp acitvated
    you hear it on the headphones out or on the main out (headphones connected to the main out = mono signal)
    have not checked the SPDIF out

It is almost like with a not well designed guitar amp, where you get a click from a relay when switching rigs.

Maybe muting the signal during switching might help? I could live with a 10ms mute (modern highgain amps do this) if the clicks are removed by this.

Thanks again to CK and the team for the effort, you are getting close! :thumbup:

Dote

Thanks guys,

you were right. It is in the Device name/channel menu and the GCP should start with #001. Now it is working perfectly.

Thanks again, I should have read the manual of the GCP more closely ;)

Dote

Hi Chris,

thanks for taking the time to clarify this.

In my case, the clicking seems not to be getting worse over time. I will have to try and see if it gets better with less FX in the rig (albeit I rarely have all 8 running).

I too am a bit confused about what Christoph wrote. My only guess is that due to a coincidence of a couple of people contacting Support with the same problem this week and discussion arising about this problem on the forum as well.

Support is supposed to record any malfunction feedback from the users and help them with any problems. A users forum is what it is, i.e. here we discuss the good and bad sides of the product. Support might take some hints from the forum, but every user should be able to contact support no matter what.

If a lot of users contact support with the same problem, the solution of this problem should be prioritised, since it most likely is a major problem.

When I reported my crackle problem in march, Support acknowledge the problem. From what they wrote I take that the crackle sounds do have something to do with the way sound of the rigs is computed. Thus it should not be a hardware problem.

I surely hope they will fix this. My guess is that this crackle should be heard on every Kemper and might not be experienced by other users who use a monitor or headphones with reduced high-freq capability. It seems that when I use a cheaper headphone than my Beyerdynamic DT990Pro or 880 the crackling is not as pronounced, but of course still there.

Crackling during rig switching would be a major problem for live use for me. Btw when switching between the same rig with sligthly different settings the crackling seems not to be a problem.

Dote