Posts by BuckeyeBrown

As has been stated before by myself and many others when the subject of fuzz preset stomps come up, the hurdle will be the guitar volume component that many fuzz players regularly use to regulate from sparkly clean to full on woolyness that different real fuzz boxes achieve.

As we’re seeing with voicings in the two new drives added on the new beta, I believe it very possible for CK and team to get very close to certain fuzz tones too... already. With some time experimenting we can already create some great fuzzy tones on the Profiler, but backing off your guitar’s vol knob doesn’t accomplish the desired affect, and in some situations/settings, lowering the guitar vol lowers input to a point where the settings to give you that great fuzz tone suffer in a bad way when there isn’t enough signal there.

My angle here is, why not try to simulate that important guitar/it’s volume knob + fuzz pedal, the effect capacitance plays on this dynamic relationship with tone by designing new fuzz stomps centered around the concept of using expression pedal. You essentially replace twisting your guitar knob, and instead use an expression pedal to digitally sweep through specific parameter/ranges. So for example imagine your expression toe setting being the fuzz face with its controls dimmed and your guitar vol on 10 too, and then you can use your expression pedal to hit any sweet spot you want on down to that just slightly pushed but crystal clear SRV Lenny tone in the heel position. You could have multiple presets just like the new drive to cover various ranges and tones (recreations of different classic circuits by way of stomp presets), and perhaps maybe need a few different fuzz stomps to hit other voicings (just like the approach we see with the separate Full OC stomp).

I think many of us fuzzaholics would rejoice in having the ability to have those dynamics that a real fuzz pedal provides if all we need to do use use an expression pedal to simulate guitar volume knob twiddling.

Just a thought to consider.

Thanks for all of the fantastic updates over the many years CK!

Buckeye

I'm a bit of a fuzz lover. This is a great modern zippy fuzz with this crystal octave high end thing that really behaves according to how light or hard you dig in.

I'm sorry I'm too lazy provide an easier way to do this but I have this saved on a commercial rig, so even though I have the amp/cab off, I don't think it right to upload. You can see below the effects that I used in order. I would advise playing around with them yourself with your guitar. I set this up using single coils. The unusual combo is using the Acoustic Simulator and the Soft Shaper together. I think if you just play around with that you can find some very interesting capabilities and not have to worry about my exact settings that I landed upon. Nonetheless...

To keep from having to type out a million parameter names, the below values listed are in order that those parameters appear in rig manager. So for the Compressor, the values listed are in order for; Intensity Attach Squash Mix and Volume. Obviously these are just where I stopped turning dials as I was arriving at these tones so experiment.

Recipe:

Compressor 0 0 0 100 +2.9

ACOUSTIC SIMULATOR (yep try it) 3.1 +2.2 -1.4 -1.0

Soft Shaper 7 -2.6

Noise Gate 2:1 7

Amplifier OFF

Cabinet OFF

Graphic EQ 1.5 1.5 0 0.6 0.0 4.3 5.6 4.2 20.6 5939.1Hz +1.2 100% 0

Legacy Delay 5/16 8/16(1/2) Feedback = 62% 48.7% 1.4 +1.9 4.2 0.0

Ionosphere Reverb

Top Row .3s 6.630s 11.4% Position Post (on) 0 0 33488.1Hz 0 2.5 13 0 0 50B

Bottom Row 2.3 50 5 0 0 100 0 Post (yes)

I have some top shelf fuzz pedals and I could easily see this in a pedal format from a boutique builder making some coin on this tone.

Happy Fuzzy Journey!

Buckeye

Just sharing personal experience/opinion.

After experimenting with running L and R through a Strymon Volante between Profiler and power amps for two Kabinets, I’m happy to report that this had no negative effect on the tone/sounded exactly the same, and the Volante sounded great in stereo through the Kabs.

Again, this is all in lieu of not being able to use a stereo loop when sending to two Kabinets on the toaster version due to lack of outputs needed, as I described in original post. Not an issue on the Stage version with its additional loop outputs.

Once I get time to rework my pedalboard I’ll be wiring it with one section of pedals routed independently from the others to sit between Profiler and the two power amps driving Kabs in stereo. Glad this worked well.

Hi BavidDrent, do you like a sound like this or a modern one?

Great fuzzy tone there and great playing. You won’t get that wooly silicone fuzz attack and creamy sustain without real stomp boxes. As long as CK is around I’ll throw in an - at least not yet out of much respect!

I offered some suggestions to get the OP close using the Profiler but I’ve got multiple pedals for those tones. I was playing my beloved Dice Works Fuzz Epic II :) into a Strymon Volante last week and got lost for a couple hours!

His Muffs were Cornish modded to cut out the low end flub and fine tune mids.

A simple start would be to set amp drive just below breakup, lower the bass, increase the mids and start experimenting with the muff drive vs the amp drive levels. I would then add light compression in front and then consider adding and EQ post amp. Add a simple single delay with several repeats and a big reverb mixed to not completely wash you out.

I like to go back to the amp drive after doing the above and sometimes increasing it into more drive will get you into that feedback sustain happy space that his lead tone lives on the edge of. Adjusting the Amp settings (in particular definition, clarity and compressor) can also really shape things a ton.

So I believe to run two Kabinets in stereo I need to use MONITOR OUTPUT and DIRECT OUTPUT. To run an effects loop I also need DIRECT OUTPUT and RETURN INPUT (and ALTERNATIVE INPUT if returning in stereo). Both of which tie up the single DIRECT OUTPUT, making this seem mutually exclusive.

If I have this wrong please let me know.

I’m wondering if there would be any negative tonal impacts to running outboard stereo effect pedals (reverbs, delays, modulation, etc.) between the Profiler and the two power amps driving the Kabinets in stereo? In particular I’m concerned that putting effects like this over the Profiler‘s software speaker emulation might mess that up. I wouldn’t be putting any drive pedals there, so maybe it would sound the same?

Other potential workarounds that have me curious would be the possibility of reassigning the type of output routed out of the stereo headphone jack or master outputs to allow for a solution?

Any insights or comments are appreciated.

I have the Fryette PS2 also and while I don’t have anything else to compare it to, I’m actually hoping that when a powered Kabinet version appears it’s amp will be stereo so that you could drive a second unpowered Kabinet. That would let me keep my Fryette with my tube amp.

Have any specifics been shared on if the powered version will be able to do this? It would sure help some of us on the fence on how to proceed with any related purchase decisions (i.e. - if the powered version won’t be able to drive an unpowered Kabinet in stereo, I would just proceed now in getting a stereo power amp and another unpowered Kabinet. It’s just that I would personally prefer the power amp be self contained in the Kabinet rather than have another component to worry about moving around).

Can’t wait for some detailed reviews. I’ve been looking forward to getting real amp in the room sounds for a long time from the profiler and look forward to hearing more to compare to Tone Junkie’s YouTube vids.

Hey old friend. I’m with you.

I don’t even play live, so at home I’ve mostly played through HS8s and matching Yamaha sub very happily, but to get the best (or in fairness) the most familiar feel so far, I’ve liked running into Fryette Power Station II (that I use to keep my Super Reverb from peeling the paint off the wall), and play it through the Super’s cab. I do prefer doing this with cab off.

Nope, not exactly ideal for all rigs but it can sound pretty great on many. What you find out quickly is how impactful the sound of the cab/speaker is to the equation because you essentially have access to every amp in the world... but only one speaker/cab to play them all through.

I’m a very early adopter and still love the Profiler. In the early days I was actually ridiculed a little for suggesting that since the actual profile files were small, we should keep all of our rigs on the profiler, or have a librarian/editor to connect to everything (just like we all enjoy now). This opposed to most people only storing a couple dozen rigs.

At some point I also I suggested that Kemper make a cabinet, ideally a 4x12 (I’ll add now to include an adapter to mount 10” if preferred) and give us the ability to load it with very mixed speakers (electronically speaking - safely mixing ohms) with a physical mix of open/closed back split between top/bottom halves of the cabinet. Imagine then having a mix of 4 great speakers in that baby to your liking. I might be talking Profiler II capabilities now, but then imagine being able to set a default with the Profiler on which speakers are used, but then custom specify on a per rig basis which to play through. So the you can fine tune toy play your American rigs through the open back top half and your British ones through your closed back half. Maybe you have certain rigs where you just want to hear your one greenback that you mounted in the closed section, or your single Weber Blue in the open half. Imagine the versatility in being able to blend individual volume levels per speaker!

...or you have 4 Kemper Kones in it and use the forthcoming software to emulate any speaker, but... you would have the physical ability to hear two of them through either the open or closed back portions of this type of hybrid 4x cab, and do so in stereo!

To me, Mr. Kemper already has masterfully achieved being able to profile just about any amp tone and provide us a perfect mic’d sound of it. I just think tackling the physical speaker/cab component of the amp in the room sound equation, you need to physically have versatility to play through.

I really believe a product like this will eventually come too, but for now I’m just looking forward to getting my hands on a couple Kones to run in stereo!

Buckeye

I think it would be cool to see the powered version with stereo ins and enough power to drive an unpowered Kemper Cab as it’s stereo mate. For those just wanting to run one mono cab, they can still buy either powered or unpowered, but those wanting to run stereo could save a little (in theory) by not having to buy two powered units.

I profiled my fuzz face soon after getting my Profiler to just check, but never anticipated it being able to do that volume roll off thing so I wasn’t let down at all. The idea that Wheresthedug proposed is exactly what I was thinking too, and perhaps might be something considered for a Profiler MK II.

While we’re dreaming, the other thing that would be awesome for a future version would be if they could somehow capture what’s going on with the sound as impacted by a real life speaker/cabinet played at different volume levels. Imagine playing with a “cabinet volume level” parameter that would introduce speaker distortion and feedback sustain regardless of what you are actually listening through (near field monitors, headphones, etc.) and what volume you are listening to them.

The Profiler isn’t going to behave the same way a great Fuzz Face will with guitar volume roll off. It’s something that circuit does with Ge diodes pretty uniquely well (especially with old stock trannies that are well matched and with the circuit tuned by someone with good ears that knows what they are doing). The impedance that you mentioned is the magical component of the equation. The Profiler will just lower gain with volume roll back, and the end result will be more quiet and less breakup. The Ge fuzz face on the other hand is going to give you this magical extra sparkle and the edge of breakup depends on where exactly your guitar volume is set, how hard you are playing, etc.

To me, experiencing a great old Ge FF is essential for people who love playing with dynamics. I have a Cornell First Fuzz with NOS Ge transistors and love it. Just expect to pay the price, and don’t leave it plugged in when not playing, to preserve the lifespan of those old transistors.

Thank you CK! Awesome stuff!

Owner since beginning of 2012 and the Profiler continues to add game changing capabilities!

I look forward to hearing more details on the Kone and Editor, but was wondering if anyone has heard any comments on when we might see the new preset management menu controls via the physical browse and preset knobs on the Profiler get implemented. (Not to be confused with editor software or computer controls)